Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: VA & Urinary  (Read 1470 times)

northwest1965

VA & Urinary
« on: October 12, 2019, 07:49:01 AM »

Hi everyone (fellow sufferers) I have posted this in the burning club but wasn't sure how many people read that section  :)
I have been using Vagifem now for at least 2 years. I am 53 and I find that twice weekly is not doing the job at all. I am now going to increase to every other day to see if it helps. I do have a question though to see if my problem is associated with VA.

For the last week or so, after going to the loo, I get a strong urge to urinate again. It's painful and I occasionally have lower tummy pain.
This can last for 5mins up to an hour.

Should i be concerned? I initially thought it may have been a urine infection, but now don't think it is

Joaniepat

Re: VA & Urinary
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 08:07:43 AM »

Have you been tested for infection?

JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 08:41:59 AM »

Get a urine sample sent to a Lab. via your Surgery.  Don't take anti-biotics as there may not be an infection but do take over-the-counter pain relief 3 times a day.

When VA is niggling I get a spasm/nip as the urethra closes and my belly feels full  :-\ hard to explain  ::).  I would use the 'vagifem' nightly and if necessary, 2 at once over the weekend.  It is such a small amount of active ingredient that it can be too little to keep symptoms at bay.

Bluebell

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 12:11:29 PM »

Hi northwest, I get the exact same thing as you. I am six years post menopausal and not on HRT.

I have been to the doctors on numerous Occasions with this.
I go for a wee then two mins later feel I need to go back..and when I do I pass some more. My bladder feels uncomfortable etc.

I've been using Vagifem for a few years now and every so often I have to increase it to everyday then back to alternate days. I was sent for a scan recently and had to have a full bladder -  then empty it and then scanned again to see if my bladder was retaining water. Everything looked normal and no infection.
It's all due to the lack of oestrogen?!?

The last few days I have had lower cramp and now waiting for a scan of my ovaries and uterus.
I'm also getting a blood test on Thursday can't remember what it's called C145 or something 🤷🏼‍♀️
They don't think there is anything untoward because I'm not bleeding etc but they want to rule out anything nasty. 🤔

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 03:02:23 PM »

Take some pain relieve too - did I say already  :-\

How R U today?

Sammiejane

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 04:10:16 PM »

Hi bluebell

Can I just ask as u take vagifem without other hrt have you found this enough relief for VA and also have you experienced hair shedding since starting it as there are very mixed views on here as to whether or not it causes hairloss?
I currently use ovestin cream and have been on it 10 months and is suiting well but last few weeks have been getting irritated down there and little itchy more discharge no odour to discharge and recent swaps normal and PH test in vagina normal not sure what it is I think I have a slight urethral prolapse but gynocologist said in his letter no significant prolapse so not sure if that means there isn't one its mild or what but get the irritation inner thighs too and on vulva it's like the discharge is coming out of vagina wee hole and labia minora but again is this the cream maybe ? Not sure so didn't know whether to try vagifem ! I'm currently using estrogel too but have gained so much weight and hairloss since starting hrt I'm reluctant to stay on it x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 04:21:16 PM »

Some ladies find 'yes' or 'sylc' products helpful too. I use 'ovestin' without any other product except KY Jelly occasionally.  Sometimes I need to use two doses of 'ovestin' in the same day - mid afternoon and night with pain relief.  It's about managing the condition. 

Bluebell

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 05:28:09 PM »

Hi Sammiejane, although I've been using Vagifem for a few years I still have an irritated bladder- it might feel better sometimes and then flare up again. I then start taking it everyday and then reduce it again. I also use Yes lubricant occasionally.
My menopause nurse said that because it's a small amount it's very safe to use everyday but having read what Hurdity has posted - I'm not so sure? 😬
I do have hair loss but I thought that was the Menopause?

Today I have a swollen abdomen and quite crampy and my bladder feels inflamed - I'm using Vagifem on alternate days.  Looking forward to having a scan to see how things are - cos it all feels swollen down below.  🙇🏼‍♀️

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 07:50:46 PM »

Get some pain relief?  Drink more to ease the swollen belly feeling, if the kidneys work harder they will make us want to pee more often!

northwest1965

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 08:15:22 PM »

I currently use organic coconut oil. Have used it for a couple of years now. I found the KY jelly wasn't as good. Will get stocked up with Vagifem and try daily for a period of time.

Will also ask surgery if they can test urine. Honestly don't think it's an infection though

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 08:18:28 PM »

A sample has to be sent to a Lab.  A dip-stick test is the lazy way of doing it and really doesn't show which bug might be present.  This can be grown in a Lab. so that the appropriate treatment can be prescribed, particularly when ABs are not working so well in some situations due to over-use.

Sammiejane

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 10:07:12 PM »

Hi bluebell

If you started having the hairloss before you started the vagifem then yes this will be menopause ,as you mentioned that you don't take systemic hrt .
Mine has happened since starting hrt so not sure what's going on but if it carrys on I'll have no hair in next couple years .
All my blood work has been fine so has to be hormonal.

Dierdre

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 07:58:47 AM »

Ive been having a few symtons coming back the last few weeks, feels uncomfortable when my bladder is filling up and getting up to pee during the night again, also got imtermittent stabbing pain around left ovary site so got appointment at doctors 23rd October.  Cant take extra Vagifem as still limited to 5 per week with no flexibility to take extra without running out so going to talk about that too. Going to try taking 2 together twice a week with one in between like the old dosage to see if thats more effective. Anyone else taking this way?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 08:01:04 AM by Dierdre »

northwest1965

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 08:09:28 AM »

Cant take extra Vagifem as still limited to 5 per week with no flexibility to take extra without running out so going to talk about that too. Going to try taking 2 together twice a week with one in between like the old dosage to see if thats more effective. Anyone else taking this way?

How many do you get with your prescription?. Does everyone get the same?

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 08:38:05 AM »

Nope 'cos some GPs aren't aware of a) how VA affects women and b) how the product is meant to be used, therefore they don't prescribe correctly  >:(
Pages: [1] 2