Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: What the heck is my body doing  (Read 10349 times)

Tc

What the heck is my body doing
« on: October 09, 2019, 05:11:48 PM »

Hiya ladies.

Something strange has happened.

Latest blood tests showed my E had fallen yet again.  2x100 patches for months and it's got lower with every test. It's now 140pmol

But the weird thing is FSH.  My FSH has fallen very low. The doc was looking at the screen puzzled. 

its 7  IU/L.  She said that's very very low for someone with no ovaries". It should be above 30  can go up to around 100. Post meno.  She said it was very  surprising and doesnt understand it. Shes never seen it before. I have an appt with C and W so she said let's see if they can sort it out!!

As I understand it with low eastrogen the pituatry gland kicks  out more FSH to try to stimulate the ovaries. HRT hasnt elevated my El evels.  140pmol is pretty low and should be paired with a rising FSH. Not one that has fallen through the floor. 

What the heck is my body doing?!!!!

Help please!!!

Xxxx ???

bear

Re: What the heck is my body doing
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 06:29:52 PM »

Hi Tc,

Have you been tested again for SHBG?

I think this could be linked to Gilbert's? Do you have liver tests results?

BeaR.

Tc

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 06:38:34 PM »

Hi bear. They didnt do liver. SHBG is not back yet.

I've just dug out a couple previous tests 

In February (6 months post BSO)
FSH         35.9
Estradiol 211 pmol

In May:
Fsh            12.5
Eastradiol 175 pmol.

Now its FSH 7 and E 140.

FSH shouldnt fall alongside eastrogen falling should it?

My E is below post meno but my FSH is not. And by quite a big margin. It's the opposite of what should happen.

Bit worrying.

Thanks. Xxx

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 07:11:48 PM by Tc »

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 07:17:07 PM »

Hi Tc

The control of FSH is very complex - just had a quick look at a few papers. Looks like there are other hormones involved some of which would have been produced by the ovaries. Maybe because you no longer have ovaries the standard responses don't occur? Also I've read that FSH is very sensitive to changes in estradiol, and also that progesterone has an effect on FSH so your result may be partly due to whether you were taking progesterone at the time?

Really I would not worry abut FSH at all, because there is no feedback loop going on that involves the ovaries. Time since surgical menopause may also be a factor. Remember also that a spot measurement of estradiol isn't necessarily accurate although you can build up a rough picture over time like you are doing.

In your case the most important thing is making sure you have enough oestrogen to eliminate your menopausal symptoms. 140 is pretty low but not below post-menopausal range (although this can be variable). - probably above approx the high end of this (without HRT) - but of course you are taking HRT so should be higher, but as you are lacking in ovaries this is maybe a factor?

Try not to get hung up on the FSH as you will only tie yourself up in worried knots trying to understand - and  concentrate on making sure you are getting a decent dose of oestrogen if you can. Hopefully the C and W will be able to explain and reassure you!

Sorry I can't be of more help - not long to go now until your appt :)

Hurdity x

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 07:27:31 PM »

Just read this in Nice guidelines about FSH:

The blood test measures a hormone called FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone). FSH is found in higher levels in menopause. You should not be offered this test if you are taking a contraceptive containing oestrogen and progestogen or high-dose progestogen because the contraceptive changes your natural FSH levels.

Sammiejane

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 09:01:26 PM »

Hi tc

I too have no ovaries and same situation as u my Estrogen levels keep dropping ! Not sure about fsh but shbg has also dropped which should be higher if Estrogen lower and testosterone has also dropped ! Bodies are strange but I cannot seem to feel ok on hart so think I'm going to stop it only 40 but I'm sick of spending days feeling rubbish I wish they would put me on the pill cause didn't have issues before and as the pill overrides the ovaries and forces the ovaries to sleep and not produce hormones I would of thought this would be better option for me where as hrt isn't as strong as it supplements existing hormones which I don't have . 

Tc

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 10:10:10 PM »

Thanks hurdity and dotty. I wouldve thought if the HRT was going to affect  FSH kevels if would be to decrease them by way of increasing eastrogen. Which mine hasnt.

Low FSH post oopherectomy can be considered cause for concern regarding ovarian remnant syndrome.  I have been getting pain which feels ovarian on the side where the cyst was.  But doc said although low FSH can be a sign , my eastrogen level would be higher if it was Ovarian remnant.

I hope  I might get some answers next week and yes hurdity maybe finally get some eastrogen.... Please!!!  140 isnt below post meno level, i shouldnt have said that. I believe that's something like under 110. mines not far out of the realms of it particularly considering the high E dose
I'm putting all this eastrogen in and i swear its disappearing somewhere.😀 lol. 

Sammie.
I know how it feels when everything just suddenly shuts down and T plummeting doesnt help either. Unlike naturally menopausal women whose ovarian androgens convert to eastrogen we are left with just our adrenal glands  production. It does seem harder to sort HRT out in surgical meno. I'm hanging on because I havent exhausted all options yet. I dont believe you have either.

In researching surgical meno I've read many times about how the doses  of HRT used by  naturally post meno ladies are not high enough for younger surgically meno ladies.   I dont know about taking the pill post meno.  But Can you increase your current dose.

I have looked at it this way. With both the gel and patches  I increased dose to the maximum for at least 3 months each time before I could truly say  it wasnt working and then  change to something else. 

Xxx

Sammiejane

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 11:38:24 PM »

Hi tc

I've just encreased the gel to 3 pumps so will stick with that for a bit and see but do think I need progesterone and testosterone too x

Alicess

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 08:02:07 AM »

Hi TC, I don't have an answer regarding your FSH or estrogen levels but I'm sorry you have to worry so much. If you feel like you do hormones consume your live and that just should not happen. I think your app with C and W ( in 7 days if I'm correct) will give you some answers. Just want to let you know that I'm thinking of you 🌷

Tc

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 08:30:37 AM »

Thank you Alice. How kind of you.
You are right. In a way I wish she hadn't said it. Sick of the sight of doctors scratching their heads.

Ovarian remnant isnt common but it can happen and it's not that easy to fix. I think it's more likely an issue with the pituatry gland but maybe there is a simple explanation. Hope so.

My folic acid was very low again which shes given me tabs for. So that's an answer to my tingly hands and feet. Goes to show Not everything is hormone related  but we do tend to think that way dont we. It's understandable realy. That's why this forum is so good. We all have panics at times over it and it's good to know you are not alone and get some reassurance and calming words.
Thank you. X

Bear I find it hard to get my head around the Gilbert's. You sent me some helpful information. It's called Gilbert's disease but it's not seen as an illness in itself. My doc sees it more as a genetic  blood anomilly.  I believe it's been long thought it has no symptoms but many who have it will tell you otherwise.as does this information I found 

http://www.gilbertssyndrome.com/

As I said struggle to get my head round it a bit 😄 memo brain.

Xxxxx
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 08:39:45 AM by Tc »

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 06:52:11 PM »

Ah thanks for explaining Tc. Let's hope you haven't got that (ovarian remnant syndrome) and that it is just due to surgical menopause (leading to difficulties getting oestrogen levels up)  - and maybe the progesterone in addition to the oestrogen (causing the low FSH). I hope you are making a list of qeistions and problems you have for your appointment and hope they give you a decent length of time - do you know how long and whether you will see an actual menopause gynae there rather than a nurse, given that you are a special case?

Hurdity x

bear

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 08:19:36 PM »

Hi Tc,

Apologies for the extremely long post. Yesterday I took the liberty to read your initial posts to get a better picture of your situation. I'm so sorry you've been struggling for a whole year after your oophorectomy.

These are just random thoughts, but maybe one of them can shed a light on your ongoing issues.

FSH has a very complex and yet to be fully understood molecular regulation. Have a quick look at this article, it's very techy, but it's good to give you the general idea.

https://jme.bioscientifica.com/view/journals/jme/60/3/JME-17-0308.xml

Regarding Gilbert's Syndrome (I prefer that term), considering it a ‘benign' condition doesn't really help. Not that it's a ‘malignant' condition. It's a genetic variation and it should be taken into consideration and be properly investigated. This link shows how common it is and yet it's generally disregarded by patients and medical staff. It might not cause any trouble UNTIL another condition comes into play.

https://rachelarthur.com.au/a-hat-trick-week-for-gilberts-syndrome-guys-and-gals/

Gilbert's importance regarding drug metabolism.

https://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=-1596981241

‘Although Gilbert's syndrome does not lead to progressive liver damage it has attracted attention regarding the pharmacogenetics of drug metabolism.

Apart from being the only physiological UGT capable of bilirubin glucuronidation, UGT1A1 also catalyzes the glucuronidation of 2-hydroxy-estrone and estradiol, and a number of therapeutic drugs such as ethinylestradiol, gemfibrozil, metabolites of irinotecan, simvastatin and buprenorphine'

You have mentioned an eating disorder on one of your previous posts. I don't know if you really had/have an eating disorder, but this article's description of endocrine manifestations of eating disorders is strikingly similar to your current blood tests results and symptoms.

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/96/2/333/2709494

Endocrine Manifestations of Eating Disorders

The important bits:

'Anorexia Nervosa

The gonadal axis

The primary changes in this axis are described under hormonal changes. Secretion of androgens including in particular testosterone is deficient in this syndrome, suggesting that gonadal sources are compromised. Although smaller longitudinal studies suggest compromise with improvement in recovery, adrenal precursors appear to be normal in large cross-sectional studies. Low estradiol levels are also seen in anorexia due to a lack of ovarian stimulation. However, estrogen metabolism is also altered. Estradiol, which normally undergoes 16α-hydroxylation, is channeled to 2-hydroxylation and the formation of a catechol estrogen (2-hydroxyestrone) in the undernourished state. This compound has no intrinsic biological activity and acts as an antiestrogen. Thus, the very low estrogen levels seen in anorexia are compounded by an endogenously produced antiestrogen. The lack of adipose tissue may also contribute to the hypoestrogenic state by limiting the extraovarian sources of estrogen because fat converts androstenedione to estrone and testosterone to estradiol.

Bone

Considerable confusion in the pathogenesis of bone loss in anorexia nervosa has led to the widespread belief that estrogen replacement will prevent bone loss. Multiple randomized studies have shown, however, that neither estrogen replacement nor oral contraceptive therapy is effective and, in fact, bone loss and fractures may continue in treated women.

These observations would suggest that estrogen deficiency alone cannot explain the skeletal findings in anorexia nervosa. In the pure hypoestrogenic model, both formation and resorption of bone increase. In contrast, anorexia has been associated with an uncoupling of markers of bone turnover and with a suppression of bone formation that reverses with refeeding. This appears to be the dominant mechanism. Bone resorption on the other hand is increased and does not normalize until menses return, associated with endogenous estrogen secretion. However, it is possible that the restoration of menses is associated with improvement in the secretion of other important neuropeptides that may positively affect bone mass.

Androgens, which also have an anabolic effect on bone, are also known to be depressed in anorexia nervosa. However, a 1-yr randomized study of oral dehydroepiandrosterone did not demonstrate significant effect of treatment. A 3-wk study with testosterone administration also did not have consistent effects on bone, but mood was improved .

This link is old but it shows how liver issues can affect oestrogen and FSH blood levels.

https://aasldpubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/lt.20160

Increase in oestrogen and FSH after liver transplant:

‘In addition, FSH increased after OLT (orthopedic liver transplantation) in both postmenopausal and premenopausal women, suggesting central suppression of the hypothalamic–pituitary function in female patients with advanced liver disease, a mechanism for which there is also some evidence in male patients with chronic liver disease.'

According to this NHS presentation, a prolactin test is recommended

https://heeoe.hee.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/clark_anna_womens_health_02.03.2017.pdf

Gilbert's is such an interesting condition, it has been associated with protection against some diseases.

http://www.medsci.org/v16p0135.pdf

Maybe you need lower oestrogen doses, it may seem counterintuitive, but hormone regulation is extremely fine-tuned. This article is about transgender, but I have decided to post it because while looking for ‘low FSH and low oestrogen' on the internet, I was astonished by the number of transgender forums and articles hits.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php'script=sci_arttext&pid=S1807-59322018000100221

Finally, I congratulate you for reading this post  ;D

BeaR.

becca

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 07:29:00 AM »

Hiya ladies.

Something strange has happened.

Latest blood tests showed my E had fallen yet again.  2x100 patches for months and it's got lower with every test. It's now 140pmol

Xxxx ???

Hi TC,
Sorry to hear you're still struggling - it's so exhausting isn't it. We were talking in a thread a few months ago about our high SHBG levels.  And I was also struggling to keep my oestro levels high enough on 6 pumps of gel per day.  I can't remember your history and around what you have tried.  But wanted to share with you my recent change of oestro in case that helps.  I switched to Zumenon tablets.  I was worried because of the info I read on here about how it supresses your thyroid and mine was already low and outside of normal ranges.  But when I got my first set of bloods in yesterday my thyroid has actually come back in normal for the first time in 18 months - so I don't have any amazing conclusions from that other than, I guess we all react differently and don't always follow 'the rules'.  A whole lot of other things such as my digestion have also improved. 
I now have the opposite oestro problem as level was 925, but at the moment feel I would rather have that problem.  I had also tried patches unsucessfully and felt really scared to move away from the gel as I know it is the 'gold standard' etc etc, but am tentatively hopeful that I might have found a solution that's better for my body........if I can just stabilise those oestro levels  :)
I will have to check the SHGB and remember how to work it out, because there is the unknown of the liver of course.  But my SHBG was high on the gel anyway, so there is always the possibility that I might have had that issue without any HRT.
Anyway, send you good wishes and hoping things get better for you soon. xxx

Tc

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 01:56:10 PM »

Thanks ladies.

Hurdity I dont know how long my appointment will be but I'm going armed with a very big list!! I hope I will see a gynae. I believe this clinic is used to seeing hard cases like mine. Fingers crossed. Thank you for your good wishes.  Let's hope i finally get some answers. Xx

Bear. Thank you so much for taking the time to put all this together for me. Very much appreciated.

The Gilbert's is interesting.  The mentions of the reduced ability to clear toxins from the system. The increased speed of absorption of certain drugs. Maybe points to the speed and severity with which I respond to the 200 utrogestan. And might explain the fact that when using 100mg of it conti I feel as though it builds up in my system .

From reading about Gilbert's I cant help but feel it may be playing a part in my seemingly unusual processing of exogenous hormones  I will be sure to tell the doc that I have it.

I dont have active ED at moment. But there have been several times periods have stopped because of it. The last time being for 2 years when I was about 46 so I can see how I might need a dexa scan  I will ask about that also.
Thanks for all the info. Realy helpful.xx

Woodpecker  thank you for sharing your experience. Great news that your thyroid has stabilised. And that you're seeing improvements in other areas. :)
  I havent ruled out oral . But I need to get my weight down first and quit the cigs I feel as. It puts my risk too high. Plus there is the liver pass issue too, given my Gilbert's and my bad reaction to the oral P.  I will also ask questions about this at my appt

I was recently reading about zumenon being used "bucally" (dissolved inside cheek) . it seems some ladies In the States are using it that way with their docs knowledge.  I didnt look into it fully. But  I get the feeling it may be a bit controversial. Does anyone know anything about it by any chance?

Thanks and best wishes to you all. Xxx

jennyr265

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 04:42:27 PM »

Good luck with your appointment this week Tc. Hope they can sort out a solution for you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6