Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Being told I can't have Utrogestan  (Read 1027 times)

Graciemouse

Being told I can't have Utrogestan
« on: October 10, 2019, 10:45:06 AM »

Hello

I went to the Doctors a couple of weeks ago due to constant flushes, night sweats and severe insomnia. I was expecting to go back on HRT (although a different brand to Elleste Duet as I don't like the Progesterone that's in that tablet) I ended up coming out with a prescription for an anti depressant! Citilopram. Anyway, long story short - I've taken it for about 9/10 days now and I can't say it's done a thing. She said that if it worked it'd work almost immediately for the hot flushes/night sweats.

Just booked another appointment next Wednesday by which time I'll have "trialled" the anti depressant for 2 weeks.

I've already got two bottles of oestrogel here at home which I was using when I had a coil fitted (now removed) earlier in the year. I asked about Utrogestan (to go with the gel) and she said the only way I could have that is if she refers me to a Menopause Clinic and THEY prescribe it for me. Obviously I've tried her way of trying to deal with it and it hasn't worked so I'm now wanting to be more pro-active and forearmed with what she does/says next.

Is it true that we can't get Utrogestan on the NHS and not via a GP or is she fobbing me off? Thank you ladies. xx

Dotty

Re: Being told I can't have Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 10:51:41 AM »

Hi yes you can get Utrogestan from a G P on nhs . But I know there are some regions that won't prescribe it x

Graciemouse

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 10:59:54 AM »

Why Dotty...Is it expensive??

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 11:25:25 AM »

Some ADs help flushes etc. but your GP should be more clued up on the over-all HRT medications and how they work.  Sadly, many GPs simply can't be bothered to learn!

You could ask your local Pharmacist about the cost of Utrogestan and see if there are more supportive surgeries in your area.

Graciemouse

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 11:33:37 AM »

Thanks CLKD. She's a lady of similar age to me so either she's not clued up, not got to this "stage" yet herself, or trying to save  money in the surgery by fobbing me off to a Menopause clinic.
I may go into the chemist in the next day to ask about Utrogestan. He's really good so I might ask some pertinent questions prior to going back to the GP next week. Thank you. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 11:39:36 AM »

She's not fobbing you off, it's hard to get to a Clinic!  Some GPs never make the suggestion and some don't think a Clinic is the way to go.  Some ladies have to fight to get a referral.

Better to see a medic that is more familiar with menopause treatment and who will recommend to your GP what is appropriate to try.  Sometimes GPs are reluctant to prescribe unless a Consultant has made the suggestion.

Take a list of symptoms to the Meno Clinic and see what they prescribe?

Graciemouse

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 12:31:38 PM »

Thanks Stellajane. Will see what she says on Wednesday then and go for the meno clinic if that's offered again.
Yep Citilopram is as good as a chocolate teapot..! Early days I suppose (a week and a half) but so far no relief.

Lanzalover

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 02:18:06 PM »

From memory I think Utrogestan  appears under the list of meds as micronised progesterone and yes it is prescribed on the NHS perhaps you could ask for that and see what response you get.
Good luck do let us know how you get on.

Lanzalover x

Mandyjw

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 02:47:27 PM »

I get Utro on the nhs from my gp and have done for 16 months
I'm in southeast London x

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 06:09:24 PM »

When I got utro the gp could only find the 200 mg capsules which are prescribed for ivf but not for hrt. He should have looked for 'micronised progesterone' instead. Might be worth checking she hasn't done the same thing. Maybe print off the NICE guidelines. It also says somewhere that hrt should be used not ads. If it's cost I think the mirena is one of the cheapest if you would consider it.