Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Estate Agents  (Read 3275 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Estate Agents
« on: October 08, 2019, 01:50:45 PM »

>:(

We put Mum's house on the market over a year ago.  Valued by the Agent; within 3 weeks they wanted to drop the price by £5,000 'as Easter is coming and people will look round'.  Well nope.  When anyone is interested enough to put an offer with Mum's Solicitor when we can negotiate.

Paper work, I'm sure it's all information gathering. The 1st Agent has been taken over - this lot want the paper work sent again as they can't find the originals.  So DH has challenged them ;-).  They want to know that Mum is actually in Care  :o well DH has Power of Attorney, ain't that enough or contact Mum's Solicitor maybe?

The 2nd Agents are supposedly putting adverts into the local papers but won't tell me which ones they are advertising in  :-\.  I have bought all the locals but can't see even a page from this particular Agent  >:(

They will want their % though.  I could go on  :-X

Perinowpost

Re: Estate Agents
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 02:32:17 PM »

Put a board up and sell it yourself CLkD. I've sold every single property I've ever lived in myself, and never paid an estate agent x

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 03:33:37 PM »

Would do if we lived there, but being 2 hours from the property makes it impossible.  I would build a web-site but we aren't there to do viewings.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 04:47:11 PM »

Purple Bricks didn't used to do.  One paid a flat fee and was left on your own to show potential buyers around.  Neighbours tried them  :-\.  I also know some Agents that don't have enough staff to take people round but they still want their percentage. 

It feels unregulated  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 05:30:37 PM »

Thanks you so much.  We are a Mine of Info  8)

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 06:23:31 PM »

I don't think an ad in a paper helps much now as most buyers look online. Same with a high Street office. If it hasn't sold in a year I think the assumption has to be it's been overvalued. You could try an open day with offers around a figure lower than the current asking price and hope you get a few people interested in a bidding war. Maybe you could be there yourself, you might do a better job of selling it.
I don't think there's anything wrong with purple bricks, their salesman will probably be no worse than others.

littleminnie

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 06:24:37 PM »

I can assure you that Purplebricks definitely do the viewings. You pay a bit more money for them to do this.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 07:49:25 PM »

Why would an Estate Agent over-value a property? other than to suggest dropping the price to something that will sell so that they gain commission?  It is up the Agent to be honest with the vendor.  The 1st under-valued it because at 'that' price it would have sold ........ but we aren't in a hurry.

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 08:12:05 AM »

They do it to get your business. Yours all but admitted it when they suggested you drop the price. The housing market hadn't changed in 3 weeks. Most estate agents have the same tenuous relationship with integrity as politicians. I know it's difficult, it's your mum's last chance at a big chunk of money and care is frighteningly expensive. It's a balancing act, paying it's bills for 2 years and then still having to drop isn't a good move either. Good luck with it, I hope it sells.

littleminnie

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 08:35:47 AM »

And as for solicitors  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 07:45:17 PM »

;D we haven't got to those yet  :D

I've watched various properties across the UK that I know about and in the same price range and none of those have moved, 1 in 4 years.  No rush. It'll sell eventually. 

littleminnie

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 08:17:55 AM »

I don't know why anyone would go into an estate agents these days.  All houses are on Rightmove or Zoopla. 

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 08:25:22 AM »

How do you think that the properties get to those portals littleminnie - via Agents.  You can't proceed through RightMove etc.

The house has no kerb appeal  ;D.  If someone wants it they will look round.  1 couple looked twice but she wanted to do alterations and his comment to the Agent was 'she thinks that I'm made of money and I haven't the time'.  No communication there then.

littleminnie

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 12:36:08 PM »

Yes the agents put the properties on Rightmove etc but no actual footfall into the offices these days.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 01:31:11 PM »

littleminnie - when we go into the Agents there are people in and out  :-\

They have to go into an Agent in order to contact the vendor.  It can't be done via Rightmove ........... they direct potential buyers/sellers to the Agents who advertise on their portal.

Connells - tnx!  Had forgotten about them. 
Pages: [1] 2