Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Do dilators help with VA?  (Read 1803 times)

Whatsupwiththis

Do dilators help with VA?
« on: October 07, 2019, 06:25:31 PM »

I'm at my wit's end and have run out of options.  I have been on Vagifem for over 4 months every second night.  Have been on Amitrypline for over 2 months and still very sore.  Nothing seems to be working.  Physio mentioned dilators but I'm so sore and stingy that not sure if I want to try them.  Has anyone used them for VA and if so, what kind to use?  Help!  I just want this all to end.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Do dilators help with VA?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 06:28:25 PM »

Every other night may not be enough application.  It is a very low dose so I would use it nightly for 2 weeks, also putting in an extra dose i.e. 2 at once - twice a week.  Have you read the atrophy threads here, some ladies find 'yes' or 'sylc' products useful too.  Take a pain relief tablet 3 times a day for 5 which will ease that need to pee feeling.

If you are stingy a dilator won't help unless its very well lubed ......... I have found that an orgasm eases those symptoms .

Sammiejane

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 12:16:22 AM »

Hi ladies

Just wondered if any of you use vagifem or Ovestin on its own without Systemic HRT and have you found enough relief for VA symtoms ?

Also I use Ovestin can I apply this on labia minora and labia majora or will it burn/sting ?

Thanks

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 01:52:47 AM »

Thx all.  Birdy I am not eligible for systemic HRT due to age and very high BP.
Sammiejane...I take both Vagifem and estrone cream without systemic HRT.  Unfortunately or fortunately, I only got VA this year.  I'm 68 and well past age for HRT.  Probably due to this my VA may take longer for Vagifem to work.  At least that's what I'm hoping.
CLKD.  Thx as always for your support.

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 06:15:37 AM »

Whatsup, try using both the Vagifem and estrone every day until you feel an improvement, some people use both everyday all the time anyway. Also you could ask for some dermovate cream to help with the soreness and healing, i had this to start with as everything was so raw and no matter what i used it just burned and stung.

Sammiejane

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 09:27:39 AM »

Birdy

What Systemic HRT do you take ?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 10:31:06 AM »

I am 56 and have to use systemic HRT and Vagifem and Ovestin every day to keep the VA under control.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 11:57:34 AM »

I have 'ovestin' which really does keep symptoms away.  KY Jelly around the outer areas or a smudge of 'ovestin' keeps the vaginal area moist.

Try using every night to plump up the area and reduce dryness.  Let us know how you get on.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 12:34:11 PM »

Thx. Awesome ladies....I guess perseverance is the answer.  I will use both every night and see if it helps.    Anything would be better than this crap!

shrosphirelass

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 05:33:21 PM »

What's up, I've just started to use yes VM and it seems to have really had an effect.

CLKD, did you find Ovestin good from the start. Any stinging? Vagifem doesn't seem to suit me. Ive just started with estriol, but find it quite messy so was wondering about switching.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 05:38:32 PM »

Hi initially I had suppositories which were so easy but were withdrawn  ::) so GP prescribed 'ovestin' which is delivered by washable applicators.  I had immediate relief from the suppositories and followed on with the 'ovestin'.  Lots of lube prior to sex too ;-).

What's a bit of mess if it helps  :-\.  At least here in the UK we have that option whereas in parts of the World they don't have access to fresh water let alone medications ......... I also use pain relief when symptoms niggle.

suzysunday

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 07:41:47 PM »

I find ovestin good and use alternate nights with Boots own brand vaginal moisturiser the other nights .  I am 61 and it took months to settle. I found yes moisturiser gave me a stinging rash when I tested a bit on my arm so I daren't try it on my bits!  I don't find ovestin at all messy.  It can really get you down. I would be wary of dilators till things improve s bit.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 09:05:11 PM »

Thx.  Suzysunday.  I guess if VA is really severe it would take longer to get relief.  My GP said very succinctly "you didn't get this way in 4 months so don't expect instant success".  She is right but dang by now I thought I would be riding again.😤😟