Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Dry Mouth  (Read 2285 times)

kinola67

Dry Mouth
« on: August 30, 2019, 09:03:02 PM »

Hi all, I have recently started Evorel Sequi patches - took me a long time to decide, I am just about two months in and I seem to be feeling positive and my joints and mood seem better. I am also on really low dose 10mg amitryptyline which I've been taking for around a year or so every night (and before that occasionally). I had a routine dentist check up the other week and I said everything felt fine, but was slightly alarmed when she said my gums were not great and I have to go back in a month! I know the amitryptyline causes dry mouth but I hadn't noticed it too badly until I was on the HRT and it has been getting worse recently. Of course I completely forgot about this when I was at the dentist! I said I'd started HRT recently and she said it might be that causing the gum problems. When I came home I remembered about the dry mouth, so I'm sure the two are linked. But what I don't understand is why the dry mouth is worse with the HRT or is it the combination of HRT patches and and amitriptyline? it does seem to be getting worse. Started back on the chewing gum which I had given up! Does anyone else have any experience of this?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dry Mouth
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 09:33:35 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out.  Which may include the aural area. 

If gum helps.  Maybe a good deep clean will be necessary followed by using tipee inter-dental brushes will help.  Don't worry too much.  It is what it is and dental checks are really good these days.

A hygienist should be able to give advice.

kinola67

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 09:54:48 PM »

Thank you for replying! yes the dentist seem to be on the case and recommended the little tipee brushes, so I've started using them and an electric tooth brush. I just thought the HRT would help with the dryness rather than cause it. But - as you say - it is what it is and our bodies are reacting in their own delightful ways, just thank goodness for these forums! 

Gracie65

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 07:22:52 AM »

I also use a waterpik flosser, which I used originally to clean my gums properly when I had braces a few years ago. It may be worth an investment to get into the tricky areas. Also if you use mouth wash like Listerine etc make sure it is the alcohol free version as the other one caused me dry mouth and sticky saliva which was a nightmare. It took me ages to figure out what the problem was. Hope this helps x

kinola67

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 09:52:05 PM »

Thanks for replying, yes I'm going to start the flossing etc I just don't get why it's got worse lately after starting the patches, I'm now getting a metallic taste in my mouth and I think loss of smell as well. God, this thing just gets worse, more and more symptoms - never ending! 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 10:11:05 PM »

How does 1 dispose of those tippee brushes etc., too small to go into recycling  :-\ and I can't use an electric toothbrush as my teeth are too wonky so it sprays everywhere, avoiding my teeth  ;D

My Dentist doesn't recommend mouth wash. 

Also, when I was on The Pill I lost my sense of smell apart from garbage  >:(

PeriPagan

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 01:53:59 AM »

Hi Kinola67,

I'm on Dosulepin, a 'sister' med to amitryptiline. Both of these meds are tricyclic antidepressants and one of their more common side effects is dry mouth. I've always had it for the 20 years I've been on mine! (lifelong GAD & Depression is SUCH fun!)

I've noticed mine has gotten worse since I became peri 4 years ago but that the level it takes varies. Dry mouth can make gums recede (mine certainly have) and oestrogen issues can certainly make teeth sensitive, which is my problem.

All I can suggest is you get a good 'gum' toothpaste, I use Oral B or Sensodyne, ditch the standard medium hard head toothbrush and switch to a sensitive soft head & brush lightly. And don't forget to drink lots of water! I tend to have water by me 24/7 and take regular mouthfuls on the bad days. The gum is a good idea (though my mouth is crowded as I still have all 4 wisdom teeth so I have a tendency to bite the sides of my mouth to shreds if I chew gum so I go for sweets ).

It may ease off as you get used to the HRT. I've been on my HRT dose for just over 3 months and unless i'm having an anxiety bout (godsdamn unpredictable oestrogen spikes and dips!) my dry mouth has improved drastically.

As for the loss of smell that might be down to lack of water too, I use a saline nasal spray if mine gets too dry.

Hope thats of some help.  ;)

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 07:14:05 AM »

You can buy special lozenges that stick to the gum in discreet places and help activate saliva production.  I can't remember the name but sure they start with x or z lol.  Dry mouth definitely can cause gum probs x

kinola67

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 02:10:26 PM »

Thanks everyone for getting back to me re the dry mouth, apologies for the long delay in replying, it's been a tricky month...

I had a dental appt earlier today and she was happy with my new brushing - electric toothbrush and the inter dental things! I asked her about the dry mouth and she said it can be caused by HRT (but I'm assuming the HRT is actually quite good for jaw bone etc). But she didn't offer any help really apart from advising to ask the GP for something.

I think it may be easing off a bit but have yet to decide whether its cyclical or not.

That's me been on the sequi patches for 3 months and period has just started up again. Generally feeling better re joint pains and having no flushes at all now (Yay!) but just feeling the same pre menstrual as I used to feel. Guess that's normal!

I hope you are all doing well and coping with the mystery magical tour of menopause!