Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil or utrogestan?  (Read 1999 times)

Ljp

Mirena coil or utrogestan?
« on: October 02, 2019, 08:54:01 AM »

Hi,
After some advice, I'm almost 55, and have been on HRT for almost 4 years.
I use 3 pumps of oestrogel and have a mirena coil, I also use estring for VA and have just started tostran too.

My coil is due for renewal end of this year/beginning of next. It has worked well for me, i.e no obvious side effects, no bleeding or pain.
I'm just wondering whether to try utrogestan when I have coil removed, or whether to stick with what's working?

I obviously want to use an effective and safe option, and ideally don't want bleeding again, having spoken to my Mona Lisa gynae, she says she thinks mirena is good if it suits, as most of the progestogen is contained in the uterus and minimal systemic absorption.
I think for me, it's the hanging question of which is safest

TIA x

sheila99

Re: Mirena coil or utrogestan?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 10:34:50 AM »

You're lucky to have found a prog that suits you, I would stick with it. It's easier than utro as you can just forget about it. I don't think there's any picking in safety is there?

Tracey E

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 12:31:49 PM »

I would stick to a Mirena if it's suiting you. Not sure there would be any benefit to changing to Utrogestan tbh.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 03:06:09 PM »

I am a year older than you and had my Mirena fitted 3.5 years ago so i could start systemic HRT, prior to that i did try Utrogestan and couldn't cope with the awful side affects.
 Apart from the initial spotting i have had no problems with the Mirena and intend to get another when when it needs to be replaced, to be honest i would stick with what has so far suited you.

Ladybt28

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 03:14:37 PM »

I'm a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" on this one.  If it's working and you have no problems, stick with it Ljp...why risk changing to something that might not suit when all is good??

Ljp

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 03:36:41 PM »

Thank you all so much, big help, I think I will stick with it, I had a bit I'd spotting at first too, but soon settled 😊

Lotielotlots

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 06:19:53 PM »

I am a year older than you and had my Mirena fitted 3.5 years ago so i could start systemic HRT, prior to that i did try Utrogestan and couldn't cope with the awful side affects.
 Apart from the initial spotting i have had no problems with the Mirena and intend to get another when when it needs to be replaced, to be honest i would stick with what has so far suited you.
Hi Tinkerbell. What were the symptoms you had from Utro? I tried 200mg orally during first month of HRT but could only tolerate it for 7 days. I'm going to try vaginally next month as I am so intolerant. My GP is keen for me to get Mirena but I'm nervous as the symptoms with Utro were so extreme: depression, anxiety, headache, shakes, freezing cold...

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 09:38:44 PM »

I lasted 8 days, i was using it vaginally, i was buring hot all night, needed to keep getting up to urinate, fitfull sleep with awful dreams where everything was brightly coloured.
 I was so exhaused from lack of sleep it was dangerous to continue as i had to do school run and then on to work, felt that i shouldn't be driving.
Some people say that side affects improve but i just couldn't carry on, maybe if i didn't have teens and wasn't working i may have tried for longer.

Lotielotlots

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 05:34:25 AM »

Thanks Tinkerbell. Same with me. I'm going to try vaginally but may go on to Mirena if no good. x