Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel and Utrogestan Dosages and questions  (Read 1646 times)

Honeybean

Oestrogel and Utrogestan Dosages and questions
« on: October 01, 2019, 06:19:28 PM »

Hi

I am just back from the doctors with my Oestrogel and Utrogestan and notice a couple of things. My gp hasn't said what does to have of the Estradiol. The label just says "apply once daily". Shall I just go with the usual daily dose of 2 pumps as mentioned in the packet?

Also, I am on a really low dose of 100mg of the Utrogestan every night for days 1-25 and then a 3 day break. I don't seem to tolerate progesterone very well so the gp thought this was a good way to try it. Has anyone else been prescribed it in this way and had success?

Also, having read some of the very well established Oestrogel and Utrogestan thread, I notice quite a few ladies talk about taking Utrogestan virginal rather than orally. I just wondered why and does it have any benefits in doing it this way?

Thanks  :thankyou:

Hurdity

Re: Oestrogel and Utrogestan Dosages and questions
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 07:10:09 PM »

I don't know abou the virginal  ;D but yes some of us use it vaginally - usually those who are taking it cyclically rather than take it this way all the time. The idea is ti minimise some of the side effects although it still has a sedative effect. it is also more effective used vaginally as it goes to wher eit is needed ie to protect the uterus.

If you are post-menopausal then although the licensed dose is days 1-25 most women actualy take it every day. If yoy are peri-menopausal then the usual dose is 12 days x 200 mg. No reason why not to try 25 days x 100 mg if that';s what you would like to do?

Two pumps is the standard medium dose and if you absorb it well it could be really good! If you haven't been on HRT then maybe start lower than this and build up? Some women for example get very good absorption from only one pump. Your size (height) and BMI will also have an effect.

Hopefullly and experienced gel user will be along...

Hurdity x

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 07:16:06 PM »

Hi yes the usual starting dose for the gel is 2 pumps. 

Are you post or peri menopause? If you are post then you take the utrogestan every night....no need for a 3 day break.

I use the gel and utrogestan very successfully xxx

Honeybean

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 07:47:19 PM »

Hi Hurdity and Dotty,

I'm peri which is why I guess the 3 day break.

I wonder if I should try using it vaginally (not virginal!! 🤣). I wonder if it's a bit much for 25 days? But then you say some women take it everyday.

Thanks x

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 08:46:13 PM »

Honeybean,
If you're peri, you only take it for 12 days per cycle.
Everyday or everyday with a 3 day break is for post meno.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:57:28 PM by pants46 »

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 06:16:56 AM »

Hi pants46 is right. If you are peri then you take it on days 15-26 of your cycle.

The dosage you have been given is for post menopause x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 07:40:46 PM »

...however having just looked it up, if you are peri-menopausal the instructions state you can take it as you have been prescribed ie Days 1-25 x 100 mg.  Interestingly they actually give this as for post-menopausal women - how confusing eh?! The actual wording from Besins is:

"The recommended dose is 200 mg daily at bedtime, for twelve days in the last half of each
therapeutic cycle (beginning on Day 15 of the cycle and ending on Day 26). Withdrawal
bleeding may occur in the following week.

“Alternatively 100 mg can be given at bedtime from Day 1 to Day 25 of each therapeutic
cycle, withdrawal bleeding being less with this treatment schedule.

As Dotty and pants have said though the norm in UK is actually as they have said ie 200 mg x 12 days per 28 day cycle.

So what you decide to do will depend on your tolerance for prog and what your bleeds are like?

Hurdity x