Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 2972 times)

ptsheldon

« on: October 01, 2019, 11:43:28 AM »

Hi
I'm a new member,i've recently undergone a total hysterectomy at the age of 53yrs due to abnormal MRI scan,its turned out to be nothing sinister but i'm now in the throws of the menopause !! The op was four weeks ago so still in the healing process, i can't take HRT either.
This site was recommended by the consultant.
I welcome any advice or support.
I would like to know if the affects of the menopause brought on by the op will reduce once the healing has finished or are the effects i'm experiencing now likely to remain the same ?
Aswell as the sweats,headaches,being emotional i'm also experiencing going very very cold is this normal ?
Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 12:32:56 PM »

Firstly, welcome.
2ndly, is there a personal or physical reason for not taking HRT?
3rdly well done on the Consultant - did he/she not discuss alternatives prior to surgery?

Feet up, browse round.  Make notes ;-)

When I took tamoxifen I was very cold within 12 hours, thought I had a dose of 'flu  :o so it was hormonal, maybe give the Consultant's Secretary a ring and ask?  Have you been offered a specific support Nurse after surgery?

Headaches can be caused by the body behind dehydrated so make sure that you drink enough.  Your body may well be in shock!

ptsheldon

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 02:34:53 PM »

Hi
Thanks for the welcome. i have a pre existing condition that prevents me from taking HRT.
i just taking pain relief at the moment, my consultant has mentioned other medication but i'm waiting to see how i am once i'm fully fit.
I've been discharged from the hospital so have no support nurse.

It's all just a bit overwhelming at the moment

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 02:37:37 PM »

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful and deciding which symptom to ease first.  Sometimes symptoms settle without requiring medication anyway as the body adjusts.

There is an alternative room, do browse round.

You have been through major surgery and in my opinion, ladies are not given enough info pre-surgery nor are they allowed to remain in hospital long enough.  So no lifting anything heavier than a kettle ?  ;)

ptsheldon

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 03:17:34 PM »

Thanks,where do i find the alternative room ?

Ladybt28

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 03:26:00 PM »

Hello and welcome to our sometimes distressed, slightly insane, supportive but generally happy (whilst we are on here at any rate!) band.  I don't know what I would do without this forum - hope you will feel the same way too soon!  :welcomemm:

There are some threads specifically about surgical menopause. Type that into the search bar at the top and you will find out what other ladies in your situation have to say, where they are in the journey and any advice that they have. x 

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 04:07:43 PM »

Hi and welcome,just click on any of the topics or put something in the search,most things will be there,I think between us lot we cover pretty much everything

ptsheldon

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 04:57:38 PM »

Thanks will the info much appreciated

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 04:59:26 PM »

If you look down the Menopause Matters Forum index you will see the alternative therapies - have a look-see.

ptsheldon

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 10:46:32 AM »

Hi
I know everyones menopause journey is different but can anyone tell tell me whats a realistic amount of "sweats" episodes you can have ?
I'm 5 weeks post hysterectomy so straight into surgical menopause,still experiencing episodes i being incredibly cold'shivers and now having "sweats" in double figures,everyday, are these normal?
Please help

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 01:11:51 PM »

Double figures here too 👋 get yourself one of those rechargeable fans for your handbag  and blast yourself with cold air,as soon as you feel a sweat coming on,I'm not on hrt so I manage the best I can but I've been having the sweats on and off for 5 years now,to varying degrees of intensity,you do kinda get used to them xx

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 04:05:50 PM »

Hi
I know everyones menopause journey is different but can anyone tell tell me whats a realistic amount of "sweats" episodes you can have ?
I'm 5 weeks post hysterectomy so straight into surgical menopause,still experiencing episodes i being incredibly cold'shivers and now having "sweats" in double figures,everyday, are these normal?
Please help

Hi, I had a total hysterectomy in Dec 16 and had to wait 6 weeks before starting HRT, the hot flushes & night sweats were the worse and started within a week of the operation. Had 1 or 2 sweats a night and numerous hot flushes a day. I really hope you find some alternative therapies that will help you.