Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 1496 times)

Wolfie

Help!
« on: October 01, 2019, 05:42:17 PM »

Hi All,
I'm a new member who is looking for some help and guidance, please.
I'm peri menopausal, suffering from really bad anxiety & panic attacks as well as night sweats, disturbed sleep, bloating etc etc.....
However, I have since developed a gastro issue which my Dr has said could be IBS? Is it possible being peri menopausal could  have triggered this?
Many Thanks
Tracy

Jillm

Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 06:16:24 PM »

Hi Wolfie and welcome,
Firstly I would like to say that this forum has been a god send, I joins in early January as aLthough 2 years post memo I developed terrible health anxiety. All the great ladies here are an amazing help.
Turning to gastro issues, in my humble opinion the answer is most definitely yes.
I didn't have any great digestion problems before Peri, since it kicked in I have IBS flare ups, had gall stones and gall bladder removed.
And let's not forget acid reflux.
It really is a joy being a woman😢

Wolfie

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 07:32:23 PM »

It is indeed! The joys
Thanks for your much needed reply. Jeez oh sounds like you had a rough time. Hopefully all behind you now?
This menopause has a lot to answer for.  It is reeking havoc with me mentally and physically. I have meds to take for 4 wks for IBS then I hopefully I will start on HRT. I was prescribed Estrelle Duet, I took it for 2 days then had this gut issue so stopped taking them. I think I'd rather the gel. What's your thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Tracy

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 07:49:15 PM »

Yep.  Hormone upheaval can cause all kinds of health difficulties.  It does pre-menstrually and during pregnancy, so it stands to reason that peri/menopause will have an impact.

10 mins. Prior to a period even if 1 wasn't due, I would have the runs and have to dash  :o.  No arguments with that!

I would also sob the night B4 a bleed began, even if a period wasn't due.

Irritable .......... angry.

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains as well as the risk of hiatus hernia which may cause reflux/heartburn.

Browse round.  Make notes ;-)

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 06:59:04 AM »

Hi wolfie and welcome to the forum
Sorry about your anxiety and panic attacks a lot of us on here can sympathise with that
As for your gastric problems,try if you can to keep a food diary,drs are very quick to say ibs but this covers a HUGE variety of symptoms,I was told I had that only to find that I'm wheat and nut intolerant ,since cutting those things out I'm so so much better,after a colonoscopy I also I have diverticulitis which is common as we age,so don't just accept you've ibs,don't get me wrong it may be that's exactly what you have but we CAN also become intolerant to certain foods as we age too

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 08:46:36 AM »

Hi Wolfe..   :welcomemm:
Glad you've found us...
Yes, in my opinion it's due to hormones...I never had any issues at all until I started meno.
Now I can't eat lots of foods like I used to...I've never been to get a diagnosis of any kind, I just know what upsets me and what doesn't now...🤷‍♀️
Also, when I started hrt, ( tablets) that gave me a terrible bad stomach. Bloating, wind, nausea.....it takes a while to settle, so stick with it if you can...if not change another, although I think most hrts cause some kind of stomach upset at the beginning.....
Sorry about the anxiety, it's the absolute pits, most of us know exactly what your going through, mine is under control( touches wood) now the hrt has kicked in...although it's not perfect....
Keep posting, let us know how your getting on....good luck....xxxxx

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 10:40:56 AM »

I would ask for trans dermal hrt so it doesn't go through the digestive system.

Ladybt28

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 02:45:25 PM »

Hi Wolfie - nice to have you aboard!  Peri can throw up all types of symptoms you would never even dream of and no doctor would ever mention (most have trouble with basics let alone any of the others).
There is an actual list of over 20 symptoms or more that can be related to peri and meno….it might be worthwhile typing "meno symptoms list" into the search box....one of the other ladies might actually be able to direct you to the specific thread.  Its always useful to know what "might" happen...don't get frightened you may not get any, but at least if you start with really random things you may have a clue why!!???
I started with hayfever around 40/45 which I had never had in my life ever before but hey turns out that can happen in peri!! and then I got worse aches and pains in my ankles and knees which some consultant diagnosed as fibromyalgia but when I got hrt turned out that most of it was due to lack of oestrogen making the muscles lax....fore-warned is fore-armed as they say!!

Wolfie

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 07:49:56 PM »

Thank you all for your helpful and supportive comments. I really do appreciate it :)