Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Can I tell the GP what HRT I want to try?  (Read 742 times)

Honeybean

Can I tell the GP what HRT I want to try?
« on: October 01, 2019, 12:11:18 PM »

Ok so I have been reading up about HRT and have decided which estrogen and progesterone I want to try. Can I just rock up to the doctors and tell them (very nicely) which products I want to give a go?

I want to try Oestrogel and Utrogestan.

I tried patches last year and had a nasty reaction. Which is why I like the idea of trying two separate products. I don't even know if these products are available on the NHS....

Has anyone done their research and had any success in this way?

Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Can I tell the GP what HRT I want to try?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 12:30:23 PM »

You could ask your Practice Nurse which HRT the Surgery supports and discuss with your local Pharmacist who may be able to give an idea as to which Surgeries are HRT savvy ;-). 

Maybe decide which symptom you would like to ease, take a list with your and talk to your Practice Nurse, are you due for a well woman check, if so bring up the subject during that appt..  Be prepared for the Staff not to have much knowledge  ::) and explain that you drop into MM Forum regularly.

Let us know.

Artmouse

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »

Oestrogel and Utrogestan are available on the NHS - have just stopped taking them after 2.5 years.  My GP hadn't heard of the gel when I mentioned it but was happy to prescribe. 

Ladybt28

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 12:44:23 PM »

It depends where you are in the country Honeybean as to whether you can get them on the NHS.  Certain GP's have their own preferences for hrt and certain areas have certain products on their formulary list for prescribing.  I think there is an issue with oestrogel and utro in certain parts of Scotland.

I can get them easily in Northern Ireland and I asked for what I wanted after trying a few.  It has been the best combo for me, I tried 6 others and they didn't work.  I like the flexibility of them because you can play around with doses without having to keep going back to your GP to represcribe higher levels or lover levels of patches or pills.  You just up the pumps of gel or drop the pumps of gel.  Obviously if you are upping then you will need more gel quicker but its easier to play around get a level and then tell the doctor.  That's what I did anyway and I was lucky cos my doctor goes with what I say but some GP's can be right pains in the arses! It really depends how knowledgeable, flexible your GP is and how you get on with them.

Butterfly22

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 04:21:44 PM »

I have always done this, I guess it depends the doctor but to be honest I'd keep going until I get what I want regarding meds. Xx

Honeybean

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 05:53:54 PM »

Thank you for all your comments and advice.  :thankyou:

I saw a lovely lady doctor who was happy to prescribe what I wanted. I did get Oestrogel and Utrogestan. I guess time will tell how I get on!!

Thanks again  :clapping:

Butterfly22

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 06:19:09 PM »

Ah fab, good luck xx