Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: How much utrogestan to use?  (Read 1074 times)

pricey

How much utrogestan to use?
« on: September 13, 2019, 07:08:15 PM »

Hi everyone,

I've decided to go  to one pump of Oestrogel per day as I have been bleeding heavily.  I was prescribed 200mg utrogestan for 2 pumps Oestrogel.  Should I reduce the utrogestan to 100mg per night if I'm taking less oestrogen? I want a sequential rather than conti cycle.

Thanks

Dotty

Re: How much utrogestan to use?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 07:32:35 PM »

Hi no you keep the same amount of utrogestan x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 08:47:18 PM »

... especially if you are bleeding quite heavily as it will help to shed the lining if it's built up a bit.

Hurdity x

pricey

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 07:30:04 PM »

Thanks, ladies. Hurdity, do you think I'm right to reduce the Oestrogel? This is my first month on it and I started bleeding spontaneously,  heavier than I have in several years, with clots too. I also passed out a few nights ago, the evening before the flooding started  Everything checked out ok apart from low BP which soon resolved. I have had blood tests including a full blood count,  awaiting results. I cut down to one pump two days ago. I feel woozy but that could be low iron. Fainting isn't something I do so I am a bit worried. I wonder if a big drop in hormones prior to the bleed could have played a part.

X

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 07:45:32 PM »

Pricey I'm sorry I can't remember your story ie whether peri or post, age, how long on HRT etc. However yes the sudden drop in hormones before a bleed can cause very dramatic symptoms in some women both in peri and on the withdrawal phase of HRT. I presume the spontaneous bleeding is a natural period and you are peri? It is important to get anything like this checked out medically to be on the safe side.

The dose of oestrogen for you to take is the one that relieves your symptoms and makes you feel well, or if you are only taking it for osteoporosis prevention, then it is the dose at which a minimum estradiol blood level is obtained. For many women the amount needed for symptom relief also help substantially with osteo protection.

I do sometimes feel faint and dizzy during the withdrawal phase and used to feel like this ( and especially hypoglycaemia - low blood sugar - symptoms when I was pre-menstrual, before I was peri-menopausal in the year or two leading up to peri).

Hurdity x

pricey

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 09:29:33 PM »

Hi Hurdity,  yes I am still peri. 54 and have been on HRT of various kinds for 4 years.  It was a natural bleed as I've been noting them down. I has just changed from Evorel sequi which I just didn't seem to be absorbing as was spotting nearly all the time.  Don't know if you recall, but I queried whether I could postpone starting the utrogestan as I had an interview coming up? I did and on day 22 got some spotting followed by the fainting fit and then three days of flooding. I haven't started utrogestan as I am now counting day one of my cycle from the day my bleeding began and now hoping to go through a proper cycle with utrogestan from day 15 or 16? Instincts tell me 2 pumps is too much, hence the much heavier bleeding, so I've reduced and see how I go symptoms wise.

X

amy1235

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 10:51:44 PM »

... especially if you are bleeding quite heavily as it will help to shed the lining if it's built up a bit.

Hurdity x

Hi Hurdity

Some time ago I decided to try a conti regime as I want to stop bleeding.....(I usually feel weak and unwell for the first three days and pretty much don't plan anything in these days) , but from what I've read you need to finish a cycle first before starting . I'm on Estradot 75mg patches and Utrogestan sequentially every six to eight weeks ( 100 mg for three days, 200mg for five and back to 100mg for the last three days and use it vaginally.) I tend to bleed on the fourth or fifth day after stopping and usually plenty of bright red blood with some clots, but I generally feel completely wiped out when bleeding. I'm getting to the end of the bleed now and am wondering about starting continuous 100mg Utrogestan, or every other day to stop the bleeds. I'm 57 and guessing well past meno by now, although I've been on various hrt for the last 9 years or so. Do you think I need to try a 25/28 regime or should I go for a continuous 28/28 or alternate day regime ( one of the studies you posted seemed to indicate that this was safe). Incidentally I have not had a scan yet to check my lining thickness so I guess I should do that. Thank you in advance for reading this long post...... !