Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lost my voice what can I do to help myself  (Read 2888 times)

Countrygirl

Lost my voice what can I do to help myself
« on: September 28, 2019, 07:15:02 AM »

I'm  hopeful someone has a remedy or advice on this  :thankyou:

It started with the usual coughing and sneezing, then my throat was really sore which now isn't so bad, but I've now lost my voice I can whisper and sound like a teenage boy with voice breaking every so often,  but that's about all I can manage oh and also got loads of phlegm.

I can't take cough mixtures or bronchial medicines, but am willing to give anything else a try, but too scared to dr google it as I know I will worse case senario myself and will convince myself I'm seriously ill, gotta love health anxiety x

Sparrow

Re: Lost my voice what can I do to help myself
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 07:29:32 AM »

Hot water with half a squeezed lemon and one or two teaspoons of honey (your preference).

Also Chloroseptic throat spray is very affective.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 08:06:45 AM by Shadyglade »

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 08:31:43 AM »

Sounds like Laryngitis CG....I used to get that an awful lot when I was young...along with tonsillitis, which is a lot worse cuz it makes you feel poorly...
But yeah, do like what shadys  said, or suck some of those sweeties from the chemist, Throaties, or Soothers....I'm sure your voice will be back in a couple days.....if not, a trip to the docs in case you need antibiotics......xxxx don't worry...xxx

Countrygirl

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 08:43:03 AM »

I will get some honey and lemon later shady thank you, have been using the chloreseptic as was very sore x

JD I used to get tonsillitis all the time as a child luckily I grew out of it, but ended up with pneumonia a couple of years ago and nearly ended up in hospital so I think that's what's worrying me as I feel pretty ropey as only just come out of the badanxiety phase with the hormones x

Tc

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 09:22:15 AM »

Hi CG. This realy is my area!

Firstly, dont whisper. Your vocal chords hate it. It's worse than shouting.  As a former singer I can honestly tell you that there is no substitute for resting the voice, honey and lemon, and keeping the throat very well hydrated.

If the throat is painful or inflamed  I use dispensable aspirin in warm water to gargle (obvs only for those who can use asprin). Or salt water (dont swallow).but get it right to the back of the throat in a proper gargle. I am the loudest gargler in town!!
I dont like antiseptic products or mouthwashes as I find them drying. And I dont use anything which numbs the throat unless the pain is very severe.   
But  if I think there is infection which doesnt need antibiotics then I use oraldene.

It sounds like you've had  a cold and if the pain has eased  and the throat isnt ulcerated iwould say dont talk at all for a day. I bet it will start to come back tommorow.. And good old  honey and lemon and plenty of water water water!!!

Hope this helps. Wish you better Xxx

Countrygirl

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 11:44:22 AM »

I didn't realise realise that Tc, I assumed whispering was resting it still, so will try and keep quiet 🙊

Have just done the salt gargle, I'm usually good at gargling but that was hard work and had me gagging but all done. Thank you x

Countrygirl

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 04:36:38 AM »

It's back this morning, just very sore again and lots of coughing, so hopefully it's starting to go 😊 x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 08:48:21 AM »

Yay, we'll done CG.......just take it easy, keep warm...take some painkillers.
I didn't realise you'd had pneumonia, sorry. No wonder you were worried.
My OH has had that twice before too...it's very worrisome.
Take care CG....xxx

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 09:23:18 AM »

It's back this morning, just very sore again and lots of coughing, so hopefully it's starting to go 😊 x
I have had such throat infections with loss of voice quite a few times. I find that I have to wait for it to go completely before it will start to recover.  Stopping talking to protect it doesn't seem to make much difference. i hope your one will improve soon.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 11:06:13 AM »

In 1991 my Mum made me SO angry I lost my voice for 3 months  :'(. I had to work the dogs with hand signals  ::)

Countrygirl

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 01:15:49 PM »

JD I will, i have dragged the blanket out and columbo is on the to, well the third one so far lol x

Katejo thank you x

CLKD my dogs are point blank ignoring me when I say anything, I do get the occasional head turn, but that's about it x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 01:17:57 PM »

A sharp tap on the backside then!  Mine worked well until I was able to talk again, then she ignored me  ;D

Tc

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 01:57:28 PM »

Good. That its started to come back.

I meant to say. Steam inhalation is good for the throat as well as the chest. X

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 03:32:54 PM »

Mum used to do a menthol steam under a towel and cough  :-X  :beaurk:

Foxylady

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 07:53:04 PM »

First niggle of a sore throat Tyrocets (recommended to me by a colleague few yrs back), has nipped in the bud moreorless any sore throats I've had! Difflam throat spray (used in hospitals for tonsillitis etc), take the difflam at least 10mins before you have something to eat, eases the pain, drink plenty (non alcoholic) and paracetamol/ibuprofen regularly for pain relief.
CLKD I well remember steam inhalations, vicks or olbas oil do a grand job!!
Pages: [1] 2