Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT timing of when you start taking it...  (Read 967 times)

Herbies Mummy

HRT timing of when you start taking it...
« on: September 23, 2019, 07:39:37 PM »

Hello! I have just started on HRT and also been listening to Dr Newson health podcasts which I found really helpful. Can I ask a question? I have started the Everol Sequi Patches (the first progesterone lot) on Day 20 of my cycle. Shouldn't I time the patches so that the Everol Conti (oestrogen lot) hits this time of the month when my hormone levels would naturally dip? Sorry - worrying I have timed the taking of them wrong..maybe it all shakes down in the end - when you are on the first 3month try out ...

Many thanks in advance for your comments x

Hurdity

Re: HRT timing of when you start taking it...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 03:11:51 PM »

Hi Herbies Mummy

:welcomemm:

Your post got missed because the forum went down for a day or so....

It is usual to start cyclical HRT at the beginning of the pack with Day 1 being the first day of your bleed. I think you have the names the wrong way round though - the Evorel conti patch is the one with both hormones in (oestrogen and the progestogen), which is taken during the second two weeks of the 4 week cycle. The other patch is the oestrogen only one and is Evorel 50 - taken from Day 1 for two weeks.

If you started on Day 20 and your periods are more or less regular give or take a few days each way then really you should have started on the Evorel conti patches (ie both hormones) because if you have ovulated this is when you produce your own progesterone - the progestogen in the patch addes to your own and helps to ensure the womb lining is shed from the oestrogen you are adding as part of the patch. Progesterone is supposed to dip - boith naturally and on HRT when taken cyclically as it is the withdrawal/reduction of the progesterone (ie the dip) which triggers the bleed.

So just to be clear - did you start the progesterone lot - as you called it - on Day 20 or the Evorel 50 - which is the oestrogen only patch? However as you say if your cycle is somewhat irregular it should settle after a few months - but if it is consistently wrong then you might have to tweak your cycle to start a new pack when you start the main bleed - try not to worry for now though and concentrate on the fact that you're going to feel better very soon - if not already :)

Hurdity x

Herbies Mummy

Re: HRT timing of when you start taking it...
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 05:30:54 PM »

Hi !  Thank you so much for your lovely reply - I took the starting patches on my Everol Sequi Box on day 22 with my bleed starting on day 27. In the box it has 4 Evorel 50 Patches and then 4 Evorel Conti patches. I took the first Evorel 50 patch on day 22 followed by the next one 72 hours later. - about to take another one tomorrow...then another and then onto the Evorel Conti ones...is this correct? Arrghhh!!! It isn' too far away from what I should of done so should I carry on with the hope that it will kind of catch up on itself??

Cath xxxx