Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Stopping HRT!  (Read 1066 times)

Artmouse

Stopping HRT!
« on: September 24, 2019, 01:10:40 PM »

This may be a mad decision but I've decided to stop the HRT I've been on for 2.5 years - Estrogel and Utrogestan. 

I originally went on it to see if it would help my terrible insomnia/joint pain/anxiety.  I think it kind of helped but I still get all of those symptoms every so often, even after increasing the dose.  Lately I've been thinking is it actually making any difference at all - I guess if I feel awful I will know! 

I have a suspicion that it has made my digestion problems worse.  Will be interesting to see what happens...

Kathleen

Re: Stopping HRT!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 04:53:52 PM »

Hello  Artmouse

I stopped my HRT almost three months ago. I was also using oestrogen and Utrogestan and still having symptoms of flushing, palpitations and anxiety. I have been keeping a note of developments and I have experienced vaginal dryness for the first time ever however my tearfulness seems to have gone away.  I am still having flushes but the palpitations and the internal shaking sensation seems milder.  In summary I am no better but no worse so far.

I plan to keep the forum updated as there are several of us taking the same dive into the unknown!

Wishing you well.

K.

Tracey E

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 05:22:11 PM »

Hi, I've stopped the same HRT, still having some palps alhough not so severe. No hot flushes and indegestion has eased. In myself regarding mood no different to when I was HRT. Just wondering why I've put myself through so much stress trying to find an HRT that my body likes..

Artmouse

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 08:27:16 AM »

Thanks all, some interesting comments!  It's only been 3 days but so far my head feels clearer and I feel better in myself.  Quite prepared for that to change though! 

Will keep updating forum on what happens.

Good luck to all trying this!

Artmouse

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 08:48:39 AM »

Hello  Artmouse

I stopped my HRT almost three months ago. I was also using oestrogen and Utrogestan and still having symptoms of flushing, palpitations and anxiety. I have been keeping a note of developments and I have experienced vaginal dryness for the first time ever however my tearfulness seems to have gone away.  I am still having flushes but the palpitations and the internal shaking sensation seems milder.  In summary I am no better but no worse so far.

I plan to keep the forum updated as there are several of us taking the same dive into the unknown!

Wishing you well.

K.

Hi Kathleen,

How far along are you, i.e. pre or post meno?  I'm 55 and maybe at the end of peri but not sure.  I wonder if the symptoms start to wane after a while.  Looking at what some ladies say on the forum it seems to be different for each person. 

All the best to you!

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 12:48:41 PM »

Hello again ladies

Artmouse - I've just turned sixty three and my last period was nine years ago. I battled on for the first three years but things seemed to get worse so I began using HRT.  I tried various permutations but at no time were all my symptoms relieved so I thought I'd take a break to see where I was naturally.  As I said I don't seem to be any worse without HRT so far. The ultimate aim though is to feel better and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one!

Wishing you well.

K.

Artmouse

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 01:23:34 PM »

Yes, have to say I'd like to see where I am in the process naturally.  And I agree that the ultimate aim is to feel better, whatever it takes!  It amazes me how much variation there is in what symptoms women have, and how long they last.  I think ideally HRT needs to be tailor-made for the individual, if you are very lucky you hit on a combination that fixes most of your symptoms.   

Artmouse

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 02:14:25 PM »

Yes, I've learnt a lot from reading on here and personally find it more real and relate-able than anything I've seen about menopause in the media.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 04:13:41 PM »

Hi Artmouse

How were you taking the utrogestan - was it orally or vaginally , every day or on a cycle? This could make a huge difference in how you feel on and off HRT - especially in the short term. At least you are still young so if your symptoms return or worsen in a few weeks you will easily be able to restart without resistance from docs!

Hurdity x

juliemargaret

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 06:13:06 PM »

Ah Artmouse I see.you, I feel you. Tbis group has been a godsend. Im.similar to Tracey E. Tried gel.and utro and felt.awful. then was.going to try a sequi so.was on just gel only for over 3 weeks and i felt ill. Awful. Didnt even get to the utrogestan sequi stage. Im nearly 2 weeks without gel now...so far ok...but definitely no worse. I hope you feel better soon. Only time will tell...and as Hurdity said we can always retry x