Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ovestin  (Read 3400 times)

jaycee

Re: Ovestin
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 04:03:56 PM »

Yes Tracy,i heard about on here i thibk a few days ago, i wonder why it is discontinued?
never heard about it before though

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 04:22:34 PM »

Ovestin should be every night for 2 weeks then as necessary or every 3rd and 4/5th nights. 

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 04:32:41 PM »

Isn't Vagifem Estriadol? i have started Ovestin, but it says take for one month then once a week, i'm sure at the chmist when i picked it up they said every night for 2 weeks, but obviously i will use as it says on the box
I was a bit itchy when i started it, still a bit itchy,but early days yet

The instructions for Ovestin are:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/5384/smpc (detailed product info on web)

" Adults and Elderly

• Treatment of atrophic vaginitis

1 application per day for the first weeks (maximally 4 weeks), followed by a gradual reduction, based on relief of symptoms, until a maintenance dosage (e.g. 1 application twice a week) is reached
. "

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/5384/pil (Patient leaflet on web)

"For vaginal problems

The usual dose is 1 applicator up to the ring (0.5 mg estriol in 0.5 g of cream) a day for the first 2 to 3 weeks (maximally 4 weeks).
    Then the dose is 1 applicator up to the ring twice a week.

Your doctor will prescribe the lowest dose that relieves your symptoms. Your doctor may want you to stop from time to time (every 2 to 3 months for a period of 4 weeks). This is to check if you still need treatment
."

So you see the daily loading phase is 2 weeks up to a maximum of 4 weeks and thereafter twice a week - it doesn't say once per week anywhere  :-\ .

CLKD I've no idea what your every 3rd and 4th/5th night is but twice a week is the usual instruction which would translate into: every 3rd (or 4th) and 7th night ( if you were sticking rigidly to the days). I now do mine every 3 days rather than twice a week - same as patch change day - and put a reminder on my phone so I don't lose track.

Hurdity x

suzysunday

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2019, 08:46:53 PM »

I use ovestin alternate nights on my gp's advice.  I sometimes worry if it's too much but it keeps symptoms at bay. I do worry about most things!

jaycee

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2019, 09:24:03 PM »

I thought the [man] who i have never seen before in the chemist said every night for 2 weeks then once a week, but on the box it says every night for 1 month

Sammiejane

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2019, 07:39:33 PM »

Hi Tracey e

With regards to you saying estradiol u think caused your hair loss did u take utrogestan too ? Did this not help balance it out. ?

I'm considering the contraceptive pill as I had no probs on microgynon 30.

I've had to go back on the gel becAuse the patch made my boobs so sore couldn't cope but am going to try progesterone because I feel to wired all the time and struggling to fall asleep but I also need testosterone too x the patch cause more shedding!

Tracey E

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2019, 08:31:06 AM »

Yes I did take Utrogestan too but only for 7 days per month and yes I do think it was the Estrodrial. No shedding at all now Sammie. :)

Sammiejane

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2019, 11:51:26 PM »

Hi Tracey e

What do u take now Tracey ? To enable your hair to stop shedding !

Have u ever taken the combined pill ? How was your hair then?

Tracey E

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2019, 07:10:50 AM »

I don't take anything Sammie, my hair was fine on the combined pill..

jaycee

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2019, 08:13:01 AM »

Is your hair better since you came off HRT Tracy? sorry if you have said before, but a lot of women have said their hair has improved since taking HRT but everyone is different i expect
I am surprised though how many are complaining of hair loss

Tracey E

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2019, 08:39:18 AM »

Hi Jaycee my hair has stopped falling out since I've stopped taking the Estrogel and Utrogestan. I too thought HRT should help with hair but obviously for me it didn't.

Sammiejane

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2019, 10:16:22 AM »

Hi Tracey e

Thank you for your reply I just don't know what to do I'm only 40 so ideally need something

But when I swapped from the gel to patch it shed more and now I've moved back from the patch to the gel it's was I'm first couple days now on day 5 shedding is more and it's funny because increased from 2 pumps to 2.5 and then more shedding , menopause won't give me testosterone till estrogen optimal which I think is wrong since I've had my ovaries removed so I either combine progesterone and see if it levels out estrogen effects because I'm so hot tempered I'm moody snappy irritable foggy headed tired fatigue just want to sleep on the gel the patch was a bit better in that respect but hair didn't improve and vaginal area felt dryer and my boobs were incredible sore but then I'm not onsorbing the gel that well my estrogen levels have dropped over the 7 months being on it and I know they said increase estrogen to 3 pumps but I felt worse. So I don't know whether to stay on gel and add progesterone or go back on patch and add in progesterone or swap to combined pill although at high risk cause of being 40 and smoke !
My GP said to try the patch estradot and progesterone utrogestan and see what happens but I'm worried about hairloss being worse and gaining more weight again I never did on the pill please offer any advice or what u would do in my situation

Tracey E

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2019, 01:25:38 PM »

Do you have a womb Sammie? I would give the patch and Utrogestan another go. Everyone's different and some folk absorb the patches better than the gel and vice versa. If it still causing you an issue after a couple of months then there are other alternatives you can try. That I'm sure the menopause clinic will duscuss with you. :) X
Pages: 1 [2]