Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Symptoms of hrt withdrawal  (Read 1263 times)

Juljam2

Symptoms of hrt withdrawal
« on: September 03, 2019, 12:55:22 PM »

Hi I'm considering ( reluctantly ) coming off hrt patches after 7 years but I'm frightened that I may develop certain symptoms, specifically vaginal problems and weight gain . I've always had night sweats anyway so can probably cope if they return initially but am worried about the rest not least because I'm in a new relationship and also struggling with losing extra weight gained in the last few years .
Can anyone shed any light on the likelihood of both these being a problem ???

Dancinggirl

Re: Symptoms of hrt withdrawal
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 01:02:12 PM »

Why come off HRT??? Unless you have health issues that may mean you should come off ?
Do ask GP for local oestrogen to help keep your intimate area healthy and use vaginal Moisturisers (eg SYLK or the YES products are best).
How we feel when stopping HRT will vary greatly. Perhaps try stopping for a month and see how it goes. Definitely get Vagifem from the GP though. DG x

Jari

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 01:22:34 PM »

Hi Juljam

I put on a stone when I was on hrt and I was only on it 2 months. It dropped off when I came off it, so as long as you're having good exercise etc, then I'm sure it'll come off too.

Good idea to come off it as you've been on a long time and your natural hormones may well have balanced out by now. I would definitely give it a few months for things to readjust and then see if you have any vaginal issues. You may not. ?!

All the best with it. X

linz57

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 03:14:04 PM »

Juljam do you have vaginal atrophy? If so, don't leave a gap between stopping your systemic hrt and starting Vagifem or estradiol cream. VA cannot be cured, only controlled and you will need at least local estrogen for life. Don't give it chance to worsen.

Juljam2

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 03:57:28 PM »

I don't think I have atrophy I do get repeated bouts of thrush and get sore really quickly but that's all .. if I were to stop the hrt I would request the vaginal tablets or similar though for sure .

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 04:15:14 PM »

Hi Juljam2

:welcomemm:

Like Dancinggirl said - I too am wondering why you are deciding to come off HRT now? Perhaps tell us a bit more about yourself, how old you are, what HRT you are using and if you know, how long since menopause ( unless you started HRT before you got there).

The only time I tried to stop was 8.5 years ago and all my symptoms and more had returned within 3 months including flushes and sweats. I also tried to reduce the dose very slightly 6 years ago and flushes returned. Whether or not they would have disappeared if I'd kept on I don't know but the other symptoms were for me too bothersome to tolerate with a job to do and teenagers to "look after" (!).

As stellajane says - you may be fine and as Dancinggirl says if you really want to stop then why not try for a month or three and see how you go? You can always restart. I agree re vaginal atrophy and treatment. Once you stop HRT any benefits from maintaining oestrogen levels will be lost but of course, you have benefitted from taking it for 7 years and you can't take that away!!

All the best and do ask if we can help further.

Hurdity x

Juljam2

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 04:33:50 PM »

I'm on the continuous patches because I struggled with side effects of the tablets when I was put on them. I'm 59 and happy to carry on but I have a battle every time I request more as most of the gps n my practice believe 5 years should be enough.
I started  with severe hot flushes anxiety mastalgia no libido and constant headaches etc. But had the Mirena in at that time so was given oestrogen until it was removed.
I was a chronic headache sufferer for many years before the hrt so it was a massive help if for that alone.
My periods had already stopped due to the  mirena . Hence I can't remember when it all started but I think it was 7 or 8 years ago.
Incidentally i have had severe night sweats all this time until very recently when they seem to have settled . ?? Go figure.
 I feel like I was a different person with the  hrt commenced so I would prefer to carry on really. I think with my gp I'm running out of time tho 😕

Juljam2

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 09:24:14 AM »

So after struggling to sort anything out re my patches the latest is that a alternative should be prescribed for me by the end of today which I think is kliovance... I was on it at the start of my meno journey and gave up after a couple of months due to several side effects including severe breast pain. However it was 7 years ago so it may react differently with me now ???
Apparently it is available but until I present it to the pharmacist god only knows ..
does anyone know whether it will be a suitable alternative if I can tolerate it ?.
X

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 11:38:24 AM »

Hello Juljam

I can't help with your question I'm afraid but my friend's MIL said that her night sweats stopped after seven years.
Perhaps yours have also finally finished?  If so, it's one less thing to worry about I guess.

Wishing you well.

K.

Nairn

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 03:49:20 PM »

HI Juljam

I was on kilofem, which is a high estrogen dose for about 5 months - however I came off it as I needed to be HRT free for 6 weeks for some other tests, but actually glad I did.  I had not realised it but it was causing significant fluid build up in my legs and making me very emotional, also made me constipated and gave me really bad heartburn.   The only good thing was it really solved the v.dryness issues I suffer very badly from which was brilliant and my skin and hair looked amazing - so some upsides!   Also due to the shortages it was the only one available.  I'm now 3.5 weeks off it and I would think very carefully about going back on it, however I will go back onto some HRT preparation to keep the dryness under control - and I used loads of local preparation 'below'.  Sorry, probably not the positive answer you were looking for, but as everyone is different you might fare better than me!  I had a lot of success with Femonston 2/10 but had to change due to thickened endo lining

Juljam2

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 11:28:45 AM »

2 weeks in on Kliofem, and I have noted that my breasts are becoming more full and tender, is anyone else on this hrt that found this and how long is it likely to last before it settles down. ? I remember this happening first time I tried it 8 years ago

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 03:22:32 PM »

Juljam - I am surprised at your doc giving you HRT tablets given you are 59 as ideally as we get older ( I'm one!) transdermal is recommended as being associated with least risk for various health conditions especially cardiovascular, and especially going onto tablets after using patches!

I would have suggested thinking about having another Mirena if that suited you - and then you could add oestrogen only patches (or gel). If not a Mirena then Provera (progestogen tablets) or utrogestan ( micronised progesterone) which is prescribed orally but can be used vaginally, along with the oestrogen.

Maybe your body is reacting to the oestrogen - absoprtion of the different types is very variable amongst women so maybe you are absorbing more oestrogen ( and the progestogen)  from this than the patches?

Hurdity x

Nairn

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 03:44:13 PM »

I had the same problem, and it did not go away.  The other thing for me was really bad fluid retention in my legs - I would not go back on - shame really as it was great for dryness,  it the negatives outweighted the one positive.