Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Is this anything to worry about.?  (Read 1197 times)

Donnadoobie

Is this anything to worry about.?
« on: September 18, 2019, 06:06:17 AM »

Ever since I can remember, I have had some kind of itching around the outer skin of my labia.  I would treat it with hydrocortisone and it would be fine for a while and then start again.

Lately, well over the last 4-5 years I seem to be itchy most of the time and have tried several creams which calm it initially but it comes back more frequently.  At a recent gyne examination my GP noticed I was red and said it looked like eczema, and gave me a hydrocortisone cream.  It keeps flaring up more regularly and yesterday, at a visit to a women’s physio, she also commented that I looked red and sore ( I am not sore just itchy).

Should I be worried that this could be something more sinister? Or is it likely to be just eczema, seeing as I have had this most of my adult life, just not so bad.  I keep reading about Lichen Sclerosis and vulval cancer although I don’t seem to have any other symptoms other than itching.

Any advice?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 06:39:00 AM by Donnadoobie »

Joaniepat

Re: Is this anything to worry about.?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 06:23:40 AM »

Have you been checked for lichen sclerosis, or seen by a vulval dermatologist? Perhaps you could ask for a referral.
JP x

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 08:07:16 AM »

Just seen on your other post that you have yet to try a vaginal moisturiser, so maybe that will help.

JP x

Donnadoobie

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 08:28:16 AM »

Yes hopefully Jonipat.

Don't really feel it is LS as I do not have any white patches.

I do have a tendency to over think things causing anxiety

Maryjane

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 08:48:21 AM »

It is a myth that LS only presents with white patches this is not the case, you should be assessed by a vulva dermatologist to many ladies in my VA group also have LS that has been ignored or misdiagnosed & in about 3-5% of cases it can turn to vulva cancer.

Don't self treat.

Donna-paul

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 10:49:30 AM »

You need to get a proper diagnosis from either a vulva dermatologist or a special vulva clinic. I had biopsy at special clinic and been diagnosed with chronic dermatitis of vulva. On treatment and waiting allergy patch testing as the biopsy suggested could be allergy related. The staff have been all women and so lovely.

Tc

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 11:14:24 AM »

May I ask. Is referral to a vulva clinic done through the GP? Does it come under the gynae clinic at the hospital?
Thank you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 12:17:01 PM »

Maybe try a simple moisturiser down there rather than something quite as 'severe'?  If there's an itch anywhere, look on the shelves to a solution.  I find that 'ky Jelly' helps, around the whole area inside and out.  I also use 'ovestin' for atrophy.

? Sudacreme ? or a baby lotion.

Jenna

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 12:22:30 PM »

May I ask. Is referral to a vulva clinic done through the GP? Does it come under the gynae clinic at the hospital?
Thank you.

This info might help, Tc:

http://vulvalpainsociety.org/vps/index.php/finding-a-vulval-clinic