Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Now what have I done?  (Read 1055 times)

MegnB

Now what have I done?
« on: September 17, 2019, 07:47:44 PM »

I am 55, no periods in 2.5 years. I've been on the same regimen (with my eye always on tapering off asap) for the past 18 months. Divigel (estriadol gel) .5mg and Progesterone (generic) 100mg for first 12 days of every month.  With the exception of the occasional hot flash (2/3 a day) and the general misery of progesterone, things were tolerable.

Cue this cycle when I ran out of progesterone and my local gp wrote the script for utrogestan. I decided to try using it vaginally to see if the side effects lessened. I am not happy to announce that I got my period today for the first time in 2.5 years. I can't get back to my doc in the states for another 6-8 weeks.

I just need someone to tell my I'm not dying.

Thanks for listening to me moan and what do I do now?

KiltedCupid

Re: Now what have I done?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 08:11:45 PM »

Hi MegnB - I don't think we have generic progesterone in U.K. Is it the same as Utrogestan or is that why you're now feeling like you're dying? Progesterone is a really tricky beast, some ladies don't even notice it and some, like me, feel like they've been poisoned whilst taking it.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 09:19:17 PM »

Is the only problem that you're having a bleed? It might be that your lining has been building up and utro has done a better job at shedding it. Might be an idea to have a scan when you get home just to be sure.

MegnB

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 09:25:36 AM »

I believe the generic version of Progesterone is the chemical equivalent to Prometrium.  As far as I'm concerned, it's all evil, but it seems a necessary one. 10 days of insomnia, groggy because of lack of sleep or the effect of the progesterone, vile temper, just a lovely package. I stopped HRT once before because of it (continuous) and the new doc switched me to just 100mg for the first 12 days. I even asked the doc to just take out my uterus so I could just take the estrogen. It wasn't one of my better days :/

But yes, the bleed was just the last straw I suppose.

It's hard to be a lady :).  Thank you for listening. I have a scan scheduled in late November when I'm back seeing my family.

Best and thanks,
M

KiltedCupid

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 09:35:29 AM »

Hi MegnB - I know exactly where you're coming from! The Utro does that to me too, in fact most prog does, can't even make 12 days, 7 at the very most and I've also requested a hysto as I just can't take any more.

I really do empathise but I imagine the Utro, in your case has just triggered a bleed you would've had on the generic prog, just because you needed a bleed. Oral progesterone has lower absorption and a less powerful effect on the endo as it's broken down by gut and liver. It may be that using it vaginally (either product) has set off a bleed because your oral intake wasn't enough.

Your doc may suggest an increase of oral dose to 200 or you could try vaginally at 100 if that suits your lifestyle. It might also be a jumping off point for Utro and time to try another prog? You can chat about that with your doc when you're there.

MegnB

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 11:56:56 AM »

Thanks all,

My Doc called and had a reassuring chat. Like you said, Kilted, maybe it was just time and the change to Utro set it all off.  I can't imagine withstanding 200s without committing a felony, so it's the 100s for me. It was also the first time I  tried using it vaginally so maybe too many changes all at once. I'm a delicate flower :D.

I have an appointment in November and we'll see what's what.

Thanks again!

KiltedCupid

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 08:49:35 PM »

MegnB - Great that you managed a chat and it put your mind at rest.

All the best will the Utro - I've come close to felony, feel your pain.

onion relish

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 09:17:29 PM »

I thought it was just me that had the vile temper as a side effect  :o

I'm being sent for a hysteroscopy as my gynae doesn't believe me when I say I've always reacted badly, both physically and mentally to the P hormone (in most forms).

Good idea to go for a scan to put your mind at rest, though.

KiltedCupid

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 10:07:01 PM »

We can use these posts as evidence in our felony defence cases!