Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: microscopic haematuria caused by VA? GP wants further scan  (Read 1419 times)

Katejo

microscopic haematuria caused by VA? GP wants further scan
« on: September 17, 2019, 02:17:30 PM »

Should regular use of Vagifem (and /or appropriate HRT) for an extended period reduce microscopic haematuria? I was first referred for a cystoscopy and then to a renal clinic 3 years ago due to persistent haematuria. The GP suspected cancer but nothing was found. VA wasn't even mentioned/suggested as a cause and i hadn't heard of it then. Now my GP has insisted on sending me for another urology referral even though I already have a follow up appointment with a uro gynae in December. I still think that the haematuria is caused by VA and told the GP this.

I wish GP's would be more straight with us. On the one hand she claims that my new scan is just a precaution while on the other hand she says that the scan can't wait until my December appointment even though I have already had the haematuria for 3 years!   :-\
The previous (2016)  urologist's failure to even mention VA gives me little faith in them.  :(

Whatsupwiththis

Re: microscopic haematuria caused by VA? GP wants further scan
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 02:55:55 PM »

I have had blood in urine for many, many years.  The urologist didn't seem at all concerned.  I think it is VA related as your urethra becomes much thinner due to menopause. 

vickypk

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 03:07:29 PM »

Hi. I had microscopic blood in the urine about 4 years ago, I saw a urologist and had a scan and camera test. The urologist said it iwas caused by the menopause and all was fine.
Vicky x

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 03:47:02 PM »

I have had blood in urine for many, many years.  The urologist didn't seem at all concerned.  I think it is VA related as your urethra becomes much thinner due to menopause.
That is what I think but the GP won't accept it. I am just concerned/peeved that she won't let me wait until I see the uro gynae again in December. Don't you find that the GP brings the subject up again and again as you have had this for so long?

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 05:29:07 PM »

My GP who is a meno dr. thinks the blood was due to urethra tube.  I had a CT Scan plus ultrasound and I was 100% ok.  She said as we age the first signs of estrogen deficiency usually shows up in bladder problems.  If you haven't any issues i.e. UTI or other infection, I wouldn't be too concerned.  A number of ladies on this site have microscopic traces of blood.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 06:29:00 PM »

My GP who is a meno dr. thinks the blood was due to urethra tube.  I had a CT Scan plus ultrasound and I was 100% ok.  She said as we age the first signs of estrogen deficiency usually shows up in bladder problems.  If you haven't any issues i.e. UTI or other infection, I wouldn't be too concerned.  A number of ladies on this site have microscopic traces of blood.
Yes I have been having bladder/uti probs for several years and had a cystoscopy 3 years ago. No mention was made if VA then.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 06:59:21 PM »

Same here.  The urologist was absolutely useless.  It was the Nurse Practioner in ER who mentioned GSM (new name for VA Genitourinary Syndrome of Menopause) that said I should discuss with my Dr. about vaginal estrogen to help prevent recurrent UTI's.  I had never had one until I hit 68.  Then all hell broke loose. 

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 07:59:27 PM »

Same here.  The urologist was absolutely useless.  It was the Nurse Practioner in ER who mentioned GSM (new name for VA Genitourinary Syndrome of Menopause) that said I should discuss with my Dr. about vaginal estrogen to help prevent recurrent UTI's.  I had never had one until I hit 68.  Then all hell broke loose.
That's part of the reason why I don't want to be referred to another urologist. I want to wait to see the uro gynae again who knows what she is talking about.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 08:43:25 PM »

Maybe ring the Uro Gynae, explain - hopefully she can then ring your GP and discuss? 

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 03:24:57 PM »

Maybe ring the Uro Gynae, explain - hopefully she can then ring your GP and discuss?
  I don't think I would have much luck in  getting a quick reply. She is very busy. My follow up appointment with her should have been this week but has been postponed until December. I am also aware of others who have a long wait to see her. I probably don't have a direct email to her though I will check when I get home.
At least I won't have a long wait to see the urologist. I have just had a phone call from the hospital offering me next wed 25th.