Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Red raised spots turning black  (Read 1985 times)

jaycee

Red raised spots turning black
« on: September 17, 2019, 11:38:47 AM »

I wonder if there are any nurses or ex nurses on here who could throw any light on this
My [adult] son came out in a rash of bright  red raised spots on legs a couple of days ago, then on arms and last night appeared on his face, these spots are now turning brown then black fairly quickly, he doesn't
 feel ill, he called in our local pharmacy who had no idea, but didn't think it was an allergy,[they don't itch]
He rang me late last night worried it might be meningitis,after doing the glass test
I am thinking it MIGHT be a reaction to a meal he had 2 nights in a row with mussels in them as the timing  coincided
Also got a new duvet and pillows  with goose and duck feathers , and only just used it,with new duvet covers too,
I suggested he should wash the cover and pillow cases before using them, but he didn't
Anyway he has an appointment at the surgery later today with a nurse, not a DR
I have googled and searched medical sites and nothing came up
The chemist did suggest that Clopidogrel could cause a rash, but he has been taking them for 2 years,

Sparrow

Re: Red raised spots turning black
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 11:51:06 AM »

Reaction to drugs can happen even if they have been taken for years.  My mother and a bad reaction to a blood pressure med (ramipril) after two years.  End up an ambulance job.

Have you googled adverse effects of his medication.

jaycee

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 12:05:25 PM »

I have told him this shadyglade, also about the mussels, which he has often had with no problem, anyone can suddenly develp an allergy to anything they are used to taking,or even a reaction between two drugs
As chemist said Clopidogrel is the main one of what he is taking,he is on quite a lot of different drugs
I will  google some of his other ones
He is sickened by it as he has just started a college course, but cant face anyone looking ,as he says like Mr Blobby

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 07:14:21 AM »

Any solution or improvement jaycee??

jaycee

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 10:12:15 AM »

Well Drs don't know either,the only thing his Dr could come up with is from medication, but don't know which,
The spots are fading now, but i still have the feeling they are from his new Duvet and cover,
The duvet and pillow cases are goose and duck feathers, but they felt to have stalks in with them,or the mussels, as they did appear within a day of eating them,
Will just have to see if he gets them again, but the chemist he showed them to was worried it might be a sign of meningitis, [she said afterwards] as he did the glass test and spots didn't fade
NO other signs of illness though ,he seems well.but did say he felt tired
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 10:13:58 AM by jaycee »

Sparrow

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 10:22:56 AM »

Couldn't have been chicken pox by any chance. Especially as the went scrappy.?

jaycee

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 10:28:00 AM »

Hi shadyglade,yes that did cross my mind too, but usually chickenpox are blistery aren't they, they weren't, but he says they are scabbing,very strange,when one of my grandchildren came out in chickenpox while here i recognised straight away what it was

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 12:16:57 PM »

Food allergies particularly involving shellfish will be violent D&V.  It sounds as though the quills of the duvet etc. are scratching - doens't he put another cover over them?  Washing won't soften the quills - but listening to your suggestions might help  ::)

jaycee

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 09:49:21 AM »

Yes he does put  cover on the quilt,that is what i meant he should wash,
I know shellfish causes terrible D&V but it was just another thing i could think of also the pillows are goose and duck feather, and they came out on hs face too[spots]

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 11:26:01 AM »

What did DS decide to do?  Take the things off the bed for a week to see if the rash settles? 

jaycee

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 12:20:07 PM »

He hasn't taken the quilt off and his rash has gone, Dr thought it was medication