Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Estriol and Spotting  (Read 630 times)

Grace77

Estriol and Spotting
« on: September 10, 2019, 06:53:47 PM »

Hi Ladies

My anxiety levels are running high.

I have not had a period for 17 months and in Dec I was diagnosed with VA.

I have lupus so cannot have systemic hrt.

I was prescribed Estriol cream and Trimovate.

I have been using the Estriol cream for the past 9 months but noticed that the 2 week load wasn't enough for me and after seeking advice went from 2 to 3 times a week.

On Sunday the usual burning and irritation started. Then on Sunday night I put on some Trimovate which eased it come Monday.  It made it more bearable.

Last night I wiped myself after a wee and there was a spot of bright blue.

Today after wiping more spots of blood.

I telephoned my local A and E Gyn department this afternoon who told me to come in and get checked out.

I've just come back after enduring an examination and the Dr said that the Estriol Cream seems to be working? The cervix looks healthy. He took a swab which was a bit bloody when he took it out.

He said because I'm post menopause and there's some spotting he is referring me to have a trans vaginal scan within 14 days.

I'm in panic mode.

He said to carry on with the Estriol cream in the meantime.

I last had a smear test 2 years ago and normal.

I've had no other symptoms.

Has anyone experienced this with Estriol cream?

Thanks

Hurdity

Re: Estriol and Spotting
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 07:38:36 AM »

Hi Garce77 - sorry to hear about your symptoms and anxiety, and the bleeding.

It is highly unlikely that the estriol cream itself caused the spotting as so little is absorbed - although if you still have some degree of VA could this be due to trauma ie the insertion of the syringe on a regular basis? It is good that your doc has referred you though - this is standard practice under the 2 week rule for any unexpected vaginal bleeding post-menopause and in the majority of cases nothing untoward is found re the uterus lining. So - it's good your doc is on the ball.

Please try not to panic although I can understand your worry - but really no need to visit A and E  ::)  Eeek!! For future reference this is really not an emergency as our NHS A and E depts are overstretched. An emergency appointment with your GP is what is needed and the referral will come from there. A and E depts themselves are not exactly relaxing places!! I haven't come across an A and E gynae dept? Maybe you are under private care?

Anyway all the best with your scan, try to do something over the next couple of weeks to take your mind off it and let us know the outcomne. In the meantime, do continue to use the estriol cream so that tissues remain healthy and to enable your scan to take place with the minimum of discomfort.

Hurdity x

Grace77

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 08:52:05 AM »

Thanks Hurdy for your response.

I'm still very sore this morning and still spotting.

I contacted my local women's A and E Gyn before I went as I was discharged from them in March for treatment of VA.

It was the nurse who requested I went straight to the hospital to be checked out also given my other medical history.

I am glad I did.

Having lost my own mum to cancer last year ( abielt lung cancer) seeing blood went it shouldn't be there has terrified me.

I read the Estriol cream leaflet which also states any breakthrough bleeding or spotting needs to be reported asap.

Like you he has told me to continue with the Estriol cream and Trimovate cream in the interim.

I have noticed the latter few weeks I have had difficulty inserting the applicator as I have been so dry.

So I'm praying it's trauma  :-\

Thanks again for you advice.

I'm saying the mantra today keep calm and carry on lol

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 05:11:20 PM »

I am so sorry to hear about your mum's death from cancer last year - and in the circumstances I quite understand your worry.

Despite what the doctor says (ie that the estriol seems to be working) - if you are experiencing vaginal dryness and having difficulty inserting the applicator - that is a sure sign things aren't right yet. Maryjane is our resident expert on VA and Dancinggirl too. There is a thread in Private Lives called ( The Burnging Club) which has a lot of useful info and look at Maryjane's recent posts and podcasts. Sounds to me like you need more specific tailored advice to improve your vaginal health. Once you've had the scan and if all is well then hopefully you can ask for a referral to the women's A and E gynae dept (I haven't come across these before - where are you based - sounds like a good service?!).

Hurdity x