Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Switched to Utro vaginally and now bleeding heavily - what should I do?  (Read 522 times)

DownDillie

Hi all,

I am 55, post-menopause, last period (until now) was in 2011. I've been on HRT since 2016, Sandrena 1mg (I usually use a about .75 though) and Utro 100mg orally every day.

In May I had an episode of very minor bleeding, had a scan - lining was 6mm, had hysteroscopy where all seemed well. They twice tried a biopsy but neither time managed to get a sample because my cervix is too tight.

The practitioner I saw deduced that the Utro wasn't keeping my lining thin enough and several times told me to take it continously. I already was and told her that, so I'm not entirely sure she knew what she was talking about. About 3.5 weeks ago I decided to switch to taking Utro vaginally. All was great for 3 weeks, the oral side-effects (most notably a thick dull headache) went away and I generally felt good. But last week I started bleeding and this has got heavier and heavier now.

At first I thought the Utro was doing its thing and clearing away any built-up lining, now I'm not so sure - it's very heavy, I don't know if my lining could be that thick! Also, I'm not sure whether to keep taking the Utro while all the bleeding is going on.

I'm wondering if in fact 100mg vaginally every day is too much now, whereas orally it's slightly too little? Should I stop the Utro for a few days?

DownDillie

Re: Switched to Utro vaginally and now bleeding heavily - what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 08:18:39 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Stella.

I didn't take the Utro last night or the night before and the bleeding has eased off a lot today, although not completely stopped. I didn't take the Sandrena last night either.

Today I'm feeling a bit stressy, really not sure if that is due to the lack of oestrogen or progesterone. Or due to the multitude of other cr@p that is going on in my life.

I'm not sure about talking to my GP. She is not very knowledgeable about HRT and would probably not be happy with my trying Utro vaginally. But I'll see how it goes. When I restart the HRT, I think I'll take Utro every 2 days rather than 1.

One thing I can say - I had totally forgotten how deeply annoying, messy and inconvenient it is having a full-on bleed - I haven't missed that at all over the past 8 years!