Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Continue with Vagifem??  (Read 1359 times)

Marie62

Continue with Vagifem??
« on: September 05, 2019, 11:22:03 AM »

For the last few weeks I've had symptoms of cystitis, feeling like I need to pee but no burning or stinging when I go. I was prescribed Vagifem but was reluctant to take it as read reviews that said it caused hair loss,cramps and stomach upset.
So yesterday the nipping feeling was pretty bad so I bit the bullet and inserted the Vagifem.
About 2 hours later I felt a lot better! Now I know it can't work that quickly and probably wouldn't even have started dissolving in such a short time but I'm a lot more comfortable.
The only thing I did different was apply some coconut oil externally a few hours beforehand as I've heard it can help with dryness.
I've used some more of the oil today and think it's really helping.
I'm still reluctant to take Vagifem as I've had a bit of cramping today and don't like the plastic applicator.
I've been on Femoston Conti for 3 weeks now after stopping Angeliq because it was discontinued, the cystitis like symptoms started the week before I changed to Femoston.
I'm wondering if the Femoston is kicking in and has maybe helped to stop the symptoms or if the coconut oil has really helped?
I don't know what to do now, carry on with the Vagifem, which I'm not keen on doing or just stick with the coconut oil and only consider the Vagifem if the symptoms get bad?

shrosphirelass

Re: Continue with Vagifem??
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 12:28:53 PM »

After having a packet of vagifem in the cupboard for over a year (prescribed alongside evorel sequi by menopause clinic) I started using it a week ago reluctantly. I felt very nervous initially, but to date haven't noticed any differences in dryness or increased symptoms. The first morning after application I feel really nauseus but not sure if that was psychological. I believe it takes several weeks to have an effect and am hopeful it will be helpful. After speaking to ladies on here and my GP it felt like a good option to reduce dryness and further potential problems down the road. I was told that there are usually minimal side effects and it can be taken long term as it doesn't increase risk of breast cancer, etc.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 12:30:16 PM »

The longer you put off using the product, the worse symptoms may become.

Every night for at least 2 weeks.  Also other products, i.e. 'yes' or 'sylc' on the outer labia to keep everything soft. That stops dryness and if the bladder feels irritated, take over the counter pain relief.  It relaxes symptoms.

Marie62

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 02:31:26 PM »

I'm just concerned about side effects especially hair loss.
I think I'll probably just continue the Vagifem and stop if I notice any side effects. Doctor said every day for 2 weeks then twice a week and could stop if I felt better. Don't like the thought of being on it for life and with all the shortages it may become unavailable at some point ::)
I felt quite smug thinking I'd avoided VA being 5 years post meno and had loads of other menopausal symptoms, thought I was going to get away with it. I've been brought down to earth with a very big bump ::)

shrosphirelass

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 06:28:44 PM »

Hi Stellajane, re your comment about it possibily being more effective when placed half way up. As I'm new to it and nervous about the application Ive been trying to put it further up each day. Maybe I don't need to? Would be quicker and easier if not.

Marie62

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 08:04:27 PM »

Thank you stellajane
Good to hear you didn't suffer hair loss with Vagifem, I'm very prone to it, lost a lot on Elleste conti seems the norethisterone in it was to blame.
I think I put it too far up yesterday felt a bit like when having a smear test ouch!!!
Placed it lower down today and have had no cramping yet.
I have heard it's better lower down if the symptoms are more bladder related which mine are. I shall carry on and see how it goes hope I don't regret it  ::)

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 05:14:02 PM »

Hello Ginny62

I am having a break from HRT and I've noticed a lot of dryness that I didn't have before. It's not too troubling as yet but every morning I wake up sore. So far I haven't applied and oils or creams but after my shower I sit in a few inches of warm water and add some Oilatum emollient. This is very soothing and my ‘ bits‘ feel better for the rest of the day.

I hope this is helpful to you.

K.

Marie62

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 05:56:49 PM »

Hi Kathleen
Thanks for the recommendation,I'm not really “dry” as such well not yet anyway  ::)it's just a nipping feeling like having cystitis but no pain or burning when going to the toilet. It's actually eased off now, maybe the coconut oil helped doubt very much it was the Vagifem as only on the 3rd day of using it.
Hope you're not having too hard a time coming off HRT. I hope to come off it one day too,though it'll probably be when I near retirement age which isn't for another 10 years.
Keep us updated on your journey its a great help for others considering coming off HRT.