Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Femoston Advice needed  (Read 672 times)

Sandie64

Femoston Advice needed
« on: September 16, 2019, 05:33:31 PM »

Hi all
I have recently had an assessment at the gynae clinic.  I am 55 post menopause.  The consultant suggested I try Femoston Conti 1/5 after having bad depression and feeling suicidal on elleste duet 1 year ago. 
I have just received a copy of the letter sent to my gp asking to prescribe 1/5 conti.  At the time of the assessment I was given a prescription for Femoston 1/10 and didn't realise the difference. 
I am 10 days into femoston 1/10 and due to take the progesterone part. 
My question is can I cut the progesterone tablet in half until I get this sorted, I don't want those suicidal feelings ever again!

Apologies for explanation I am new to this.

Ladybt28

Re: Femoston Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 06:05:51 PM »

Hi Sandie64 - You cannot cut the tablets in half because they have a special coating on the outside which makes them slower to dissolve in the stomach.

You may find that you are ok on Femeston because it has a different type of progesterone from Elleste Duet.  Femeston is dydrogesterone and Elleste Duet includes norethisterone.  Different women react to different types of progesterone and the only way to find out whether you are ok with it is to take it and see how it goes. x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 06:16:18 PM »

Hello Sandie64
Welcome aboard.....not sure I can answer your question, but I'm sure someone will answer your question soon....I'm on Femoston Conti, and it was my best option out of a few hrt,s Id tried. Hopefully, it'll suite you aswell...
Hang on in there, someone with more knowledge than me will post soon...
How long before you get the Conti type, do you know? If you've received a letter, ring up and get changed over...then you can just start it...
Good luck, let us know how you get on...x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:07:14 AM »

Hi Sandie64

:welcomemm: from me too.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience on Elleste Duet. Although continuous combined HRT is recommended for post-menopausal women, many find it helps to try the cyclical version first just to see how they feel on the progestogen part of the combi? That being the case it might well be worth going ahead with the Femoston 1/10 for a few cycles and see how you get in.

Re cutting the combi pills - the reason this  would not be wise is because you might not get enough progestogen to protect the womb - although it won't do any harm for just one cycle.

Hi Sandie64 - You cannot cut the tablets in half because they have a special coating on the outside which makes them slower to dissolve in the stomach.

Ladybt- I haven't come across this before. Do you mind my asking where you have heard this? I wouldn't have thought this would be the case because Femoston are not controlled release tablets and are described in the detailed info as "immediate release" unlike capsules for example. That being the case cutting them won't make any difference (to absorption) apart from reducing the prog.

There are lots of examples on this forum of women cutting HRT tablets in half (one using a pill cutter) especially when trying to reduce the dose, but of course this is off licence.

Good luck with the Femoston Sandie64 - I agree with Ladybt - give it a try as norethisterone oin Elleste seems to cause more problems for some women than some of the other progestogens - and hope it works for you :).

Hurdity x