Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Should I start using Vagifem now to prevent VA and prolapse?  (Read 1437 times)

Hopeful1

Should I start using Vagifem now to prevent VA and prolapse?
« on: September 12, 2019, 08:46:48 AM »

Hi all,

After reading alot about it I'd REALLY like to prevent Vaginal atrophy and possible pelvic prolapse down the line so wondered if I could start taking Vagifem now as a preventative measure now. 

I'm still in perimenopause but now having to get up in the night to pee so thought this might be the start.  Do you think my GP will make me wait until painful symptoms develop? (I haven't been sexually active for a while but the last smear was very painful).

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Turkish delight

Re: Should I start using Vagifem now to prevent VA and prolapse?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 09:58:58 AM »

100% yes!

Your very smart and ahead of the game, more than I was.
Looking back my last smear was very painful, now I realise this was the start of the slippery slope, excuse the pun.

Also a sign I missed for years was that my slippery slope was drier during sex, not painful at all just drier, so used loob for years thinking nothing more of it.

Don't wait for pain, that's not the be-all end-all gauge or sign you have the beginning of atrophy. I went to my Doc, went in confidently, with a urine sample in hand and said my symptoms are needing to pee more urgently and some dryness, there's a sample to show I "Don't "have a uti, give me vagifem please. Doc examined me with a speculum...not nice but I got the vagifem.

My tip to all is to buy dip strips like the gp's use from ebay. I test my own pee to look for infections from time to time. It's a good thing to do as saves unwanted trips to doc, saving everyone time. you have to read up on how to read the strips but it's not difficult.

Good luck, and well done for spotting the early signs.
TD

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:04:20 AM by Turkish delight »

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »

Great idea. Tell your GP that the last smear was painful and that you have to get up in the night,  as these are symptoms of VA. Why would they want you to get even worse if it can be avoided? Go armed with plenty of information. Have you looked at Maryjane's posts and fb page?

JP x

Sammiejane

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 11:53:12 AM »

Joanie pat

Please advise me

Do I increase my gel and add progesterone

Or try a patch and then add progesterone

I can't cope with thinning hair no more but don't want VA to be worse but it appears I'm not obsorbing the gel well on 2 pumps

What HRT are you on ?

Have you tried estradot patch and can these be stuck on the buttocks lower back or does it have to be the abdomen ?

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »

Hi Sammiejane

I am sorry that I cannot advise on progesterone, but as I have had a hysterectomy I have never taken it, so don't feel qualified to comment.

I use the 100 mcg Estradot patch and stick it on my lower abdomen. It works there for me, so I keep to that place. I  believe some people stick it on their bum but the instructions say lower abdomen so that's what I've always done.

If you know that you are not absorbing the  Oestrogel, why not try patches when the supply issues are sorted out. I did not absorb much on Oestrogel so was switched to Estradot and it was much better. In the meantime you could try upping the Oestrogel pumps to see if that helps.

I am not shedding hair on oestrogen. I think maybe Birdy has given you some good advice on this on another thread.

Best wishes,

JP x

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 04:10:09 PM »

Hello ladies

I am post meno and since taking a break from HRT I have noticed vaginal dryness big time. Looking back my last smear was painful and I need to pee at least once in the night but I was on HRT so the problems didn't progress.

I can't get a GP appointment until the end of the month so I am improvising at the moment.  I am slathering on coconut butter morning and night and I feel better for it.  It's a thick cream which feels cool on the skin and stays in place we'll.

I'll carry on with this until I can see the doctor but other ladies may also want to give it a go.

Take care everyone.

K.

Sammiejane

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 04:47:51 PM »

Hi Joanie pat

Have you shed any hair when you was on the gel ?

Would u say that your hair is better since being on the estradot patch ?

Have you experienced any side effects from the patch ?

And do you take testosterone too x

jaycee

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 07:53:53 PM »

I had never heard of Vagifem, until i had a very bad UTI,

suzysunday

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 09:44:52 AM »

Hi hopeful 1.  Yes go for it. I suffered symptoms for years and wish I had started local hrt sooner.  No help from GP despite urine infections.  They just don't talk to you. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 10:24:49 AM »

Sammiejane - your regime is different to using locally applied treatment for Vaginal Atrophy.  Have a read of our threads, make notes ;-)

Hopeful: As for starting treatment ......... if one has symptoms of vaginal dryness, a nipping bladder on passing urine, the need to pee often - give it a try.  Regular use can prevent the symptoms - read our appropriate threads.  My GP diagnosed my VA by my repeated symptoms of urine infection-type feelings.

Sammiejane

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 11:39:24 AM »

CLKD

Hi I take Ovestin for VA and currently 2 pumps Estrogel but hit experienced hair thinning so was wondering to up the gel or change to a patch. ? I have found the gel also helps VA together with Ovestin and wondered if I swapped to a patch would VA get worse or if I Obsorb better from the patch would this improve VA and hair loss ?