Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Building new homes across the UK  (Read 2531 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Building new homes across the UK
« on: June 25, 2017, 04:20:54 PM »

Apparently when a building company applies for Planning Permission for a new Estate, they have to include a % of affordable homes per i.e. 100 high-end houses.  So Plans are put into the local Building Office with the legal requirement of affordable and therefore approved.  However, after the land has been cleared and amenities fitted, i.e. water pipes etc., it is common for large Companies to alter the Plans, knowing that few LAs can afford to veto their alterations and make them stick to the Plans that have been ticked off. 

This is currently happening at Battersea where the old Power Station is being up-graded - see Thursday Daily Telegraph Business page 8 for the whole article.   Originally 636 affordable homes were approved but now the target has been cut to 386 out of 4,239 properties.

"The developers said that the remaining 250 affordable homes it promised would only be built after an "end of scheme review"."  A letter sent to Wandsworth Council from an indepdentent consultant: BNP Paribas Real Estate: states "it is very un-likely that these units will be delivered".   :sigh:

So once again the lower end of the pay-scale are being penalised.  Plans are approved by the LA due to the Companies agreeing to that % but once footings etc. are dug 'technical issues' can alter those initial Plans and they re-submit with alterations.  Which is why fewer and fewer affordable or shared-ownership properties are being built  :bang: :bang: :bang:

There doesn't seem to be any ethical realisation that people need a roof over their heads in order to get a job ..........

Mbrown001

Re: Building new homes across the UK
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 07:55:56 PM »

Funnily enough I was asking hubby that very question this week.
We have a very posh development being built on the outskirts of our village. Three, four and five bed homes....not one affordable one amoungst them and all very very expensive.
I'm not sure how it works. Perhaps if the estate is under a certain size then they don't have to bother.

In other local areas there have been new developments of social housing springing up and very nice they look too.

The house prices have always been much lower in Scotland than in England but I really feel sorry for those who just can't get a foot on the housing ladder.
I think that we are becoming more like other parts of Europe and people are just as happy  to rent rather than own.

Mrs Brown

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:25:36 PM »

I have known developers to produce Plans to the LA in this area for 39 houses - because 40+ means that they have to provide a % of affordable homes which of course, don't sell for as much money.

cubagirl

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 09:41:13 PM »

Depends on where in England Mrs B. Quite cheap where daughter stays. New ones being built beside our daughter are mainly social housing. Sure owners of their house aren't too pleased about it as all private housing there, but it's how it's done.  Just up the road from us Cala are building £450,000 - £500,000 houses. Not that big either. New development is being prepared very near us. 7,000 homes to be built, though don't yet know if private, social or a mix.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 09:44:51 PM »

You can find out Cubagirl by looking at the Planning Departments web-site though they aren't always easy to navigate  >:(.  It's the small windows that they put in these days, apparently to keep heat in: so much so that many house-holders have to keep lights on all day - that's green then!

Not.

How long will it take to build 7,000 ....... there's nowt round here for less than £250.000! and an estate of 'green' properties in the region cost +£900.000 - if I were paying that amount I would want acres of land too and a view!

The Government of the day should NEVER have sold Council housing! and the Government of today should be aware of my initial points and if necessary, step in to stop Building Companies apparently holding Councils to ransome. 

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »

Talking to someone yesterday: apparently there is no need for more than 1 emergency exit from a house - so not all windows need to have windows large enough for a person to get out of  :o.  My argument is that if someone in a bedroom is 'cut off' from a landing fire what then ...... apparently there is no Law which states that each room needs an exit  :bang: :bang: :bang:  not much common sense either  :-\

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 12:49:59 PM »

In the last couple of years they have built new houses just up the Road from my Mums house. As it's a posh area all the houses are £1 million plus but they had to build some social housing and some shared ownership houses  right Alongside. Seems to be working out OK.

cubagirl

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 03:06:04 PM »

That's what I've found they're doing beside us. Big posh houses & what they class as affordable housing. Initially 4,500 homes, increasing to 7,000 over time. Making it a new town apparently with shops & such.  Not sure that'll work. They've done it in other areas south of us with little success.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 10:27:46 PM »

Over so many new builds there has to be a certain % of affordable housing.  However, Plans can be approved by the LA then the Building Companies decide not to include the play areas/school/affordable housing as promised in order to get initial Plans passed ...... knowing that the LA's can't afford to take them to Court for Non-compliance.  It's all WRONG  :cuss:

If I were paying £1M I would want my indoor pool, a view and silence ;-).  Having been raised in a Council house amongst all kinds of people I know that the UK needs more social housing.  But the NIMBY folk don't seem to agree  :-X

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 01:59:34 PM »

I have been looking at 'for sale' properties in Hoylake - looks a lovely area and anything from £M1+ to under £K200.  Hardly any new builds ;-) and not an area we have been too.  But I have seen on-line 5 that I fancy  ;D and it's near the SEA  :-*

Anyone live on the Wirral?