Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel on NHS sigh again!  (Read 916 times)

Callisto

Oestrogel on NHS sigh again!
« on: September 04, 2019, 04:50:56 PM »

Dear all,

Wondering if anyone can help.. The good news is by a miracle I have managed finally  ::) to get Utrogestan through my NHS doctor in Lothian region Scotland ;D
He said he would also be delighted to prescribe me Oestrogel but remained hamstrung, he repeated the fact that the Lothians list of available HRT meds does not recognise it.

This leaves me in the  ridiculous situation of having to continue two tier healthcare paying for private consultations to see gynae to get the Oestrogel plus it's costs.

GP said if I can work out a way of circumnavigating the system he will prescribe, should I write to the consultant I know or  Doctor Currie or the prescribing body Lothian Health Board? ( I feel pessimistic that this will bear fruits as they are known as being tight and sticking to cheaper meds even though they may be older types and possibly less safe)
Anyone managed to do this themselves?
Maybe request a consultant vouch for the fact it is a legitimate hormone oestrogen  preparation, prescribed in many parts of the country and that I'm already used to it, that I want to remain on it and I am allergic to the patches? That I want to remain on transdermal bioidentical estrogen and should be able to get it on NHS which I believe to be one of the safest forms of HRT?

Anyone having a brainwave on how to navigate an NHSantiquated list of HRT preps gratefully received!
At least I have one half of what I need. Honestly talk about limbo dancing.
But pretty pleased.
Thanks for all of your wonderful advice and support. This forum is a fantastic resource and heaven knows how isolated I would be (any friends I have who have been through meno resolutely won't  discuss it or make any issue of it choosing/ managing to forge ahead without needing any help)  without links into your experiences.
Many thanks again
🐾C

MicheleMaBelle

Re: Oestrogel on NHS sigh again!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 06:32:43 PM »

Hi Callisto. Why are you pushing for Oestrogel? Can't remember if you've tried patches which he might be more willing to prescribe. Why don't you use the current shortage of patches in particular to try and score the Oestrogel?
And refer to the Oxford/ Lancet study and say you're worried about the risks but your research has shown that they're minimised with transdermal application and that you've got very sensitive skin and react badly to Elastoplast so you'd prefer gel! 😘

Callisto

Re: Oestrogel on NHS sigh again!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 08:01:19 PM »

Thank you  Michele,
I am allergic to Elastoplasts so patches are no option for me. My body is used to the Oestrogel and I don't want to swop.  I will pay for the gel but take issue with also having to pay consultation fees ( as GP cant prescribe) on top of that.
Will use your suggestion of referring to Lancet report and transdermal.
Will see how it goes.
Thanks again- MMB- I'm off to watch some soothingly bland TV and try to relax  ::)

🐾C
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 08:05:12 PM by Callisto »