Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Struggling again  (Read 718 times)

snappy

Struggling again
« on: September 06, 2019, 08:23:17 AM »

Hi everyone, at the end of last year I posted that, at 61, I was encountering a reoccurrence of menopause type symptoms after a chest infection.

I suffered with nausea (lost a lot of weight), palpitations, sweats, insomnia and crippling anxiety. My GP was useless so i booked in at the Studd clinic. Had to wait so long for my appointment that, by the time it arrived, I had started to feel a bit better. I still went along and was told that I wasn't too old to start HRT and I would feel like a new woman if I followed his advice. I was rather hoping that he would have looked into my problem being post viral related.

I decided to wait a couple of weeks to see if my symptoms continued to improve, which they did, without taking the HRT.

Fast forward 6 months and I'm back to square one, feeling really ill again, same symptoms and think that taking the HRT is the only option. I was prescribed oestrogen and 7 days of 2.5mg of Provera. Do you knowledgeable ladies think this is light on the progesterone dose?. Having spent a lot of time on this forum I think I would prefer to have been prescribed utrogestan. Just don't want to get this wrong.

Thanks for reading xx
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 08:24:53 AM by snappy »

Ladybt28

Re: Struggling again
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 10:04:51 AM »

Hi and welcome back Snappy - There really isn't anything you can get "wrong". With all of us, when we start out, it is trial and error to be honest.  What works for one sometimes doesn't work for others.  If Professor Studd says 2.5mg Provera for 7 day cycle to start then that's fine.  He is trying to work out the lowest levels your body will work at rather than starting high, getting loads of side effects and then having to drop it.

There are 3 standalone types of progesterone, the mirena coil, provera and utrogestan. Either Provera will suit you or it won't, in which case he will switch you to Utrogestan to try but you have to start with one or the other.  His prescription seems a typical Studd method.  Personally Provera doesn't suit and I use Utrogestan but there are plenty of ladies here who don't suit Utrogestand and use Provera perfectly well.

Good luck and keep posting.  You will need to look at a clear 3 months of taking hrt when you start before you will get a clear picture what and what is not happening xx

snappy

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 10:53:24 AM »

Thanks Ladybt28, thanks for your reassurance.

I feel so rough I need to be proactive and get this sorted. Really thought I'd left this menopause lark behind. At nearly 62 I'm really nervous about starting the HRT to be honest. My head's all over the place. Had one hours sleep last night and can't see the wood from the trees.

Xx

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 11:51:01 AM »

How much oestrogen have you been prescribed? If it's a low dose that might be why your progesterone dose is low.

snappy

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 12:00:24 PM »

Been prescribed 2 pumps daily. Does that sound right with 7 days of 2.5 mgs of Provera? Xx

Ladybt28

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 12:46:23 PM »

Yep sounds right Snappy x