Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hiatus hernia  (Read 2509 times)

Loopsie

Hiatus hernia
« on: September 02, 2019, 06:20:59 PM »

Hi,

I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia in December and was given PPI's which helped with the burping but not the pain under the left ribs and chest pain.  GP said I also had costochondritis which is inflammation of the rib cage.  After taking the PPI and ibruprofen for a month I started feeling better and came of the PPI.  It's now been six months and I've got all the pain back again.  Chest pain, stabbing pains under the base of my left ribs.  Now starting to panic that maybe it's something more sinister as have been taking the PPI's again and gavison but it doesn't seem to working as still getting the chest pain, burping and the left rib pain. 

Does anyone else have these symptoms with a hernia?  Can't get an appointment with my usual doc until October!

It's like being on a roller coaster thought I had the hernia under control and then VA symptoms flared up.  Just getting them under control and now my hernia pain is back. 

Taz2

Re: Hiatus hernia
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 06:27:27 PM »

Hi Loopsie - I think that if you have a hiatus hernia then you will need to take PPI's indefinitely. You can't stop and start as you then get the problem of rebound symptoms. The hole in your diaphragm wont heal so the problem of acid escaping into your gullet will continue. I left mine off for a while and all of the symptoms returned ending up with ulcerated throat again which can then lead to cancer risk. What dose of PPI are you on at the moment and do you take it at least half an hour before breakfast or even a morning cuppa?

Taz x

Loopsie

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 06:42:30 PM »

I'm on 15mg a day - lansoprazole and take them last thing at night.  GP said to take it as and when needed which is why I haven' been taking them very day as felt really good with no heartburn or burping. 

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 07:23:53 PM »

Hi Loopsie - I think that if you have a hiatus hernia then you will need to take PPI's indefinitely. You can't stop and start as you then get the problem of rebound symptoms. The hole in your diaphragm wont heal so the problem of acid escaping into your gullet will continue. I left mine off for a while and all of the symptoms returned ending up with ulcerated throat again which can then lead to cancer risk. What dose of PPI are you on at the moment and do you take it at least half an hour before breakfast or even a morning cuppa?

Taz x
Not necessarily. I have a small hiatus hernia but haven't had any PPI's.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 08:15:09 PM »

However: do read Dr James Fanu's web-site.  Long term some of these medications can cause problems - I find that 'rennies' is OK though I don't have a hernia.  It is common in women at this time of life, again as oestrogen levels drop off that particular muscle becomes lax allowing reflux.  I find that not eating or taking medication too close to bed time helps.  The moment I lay down, I can feel the reflux  :-\ and sometimes have to sit up - 2/3 'rennies' or milk of magnesia helps.

Think about what you eat/drink too.  Some food-stuffs can encourage reflux.  Can't remember what affects me but certainly chocolate or bananas can start it with me  >:( especially eaten late in the afternoon.

A bit trial and error but as Taz points out, important to keep symptoms under control.  Let us know how you get on?

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 09:55:23 PM »

Taz x
Not necessarily. I have a small hiatus hernia but haven't had any PPI's.

I meant that if a hiatus hernia is large enough to need PPI's then it's very unlikely that it will improve enough to stop them. Sorry for any confusion.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 11:40:57 AM »

No confusion  ;)

MinL had one but after 3 months of lanzo-some type of antacid then reverted to 'as necessary' but can't remember what she took.  Her's was diagnosed via barium meal  :-X  :sick02: and she managed symptoms be being careful when she ate/drank.