Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Vagifem  (Read 824 times)

shrosphirelass

Vagifem
« on: September 07, 2019, 05:47:27 PM »

Can anyone give me any indication of how long it takes for vagifem to have any effect. I'm assuming it may take a while, just interested because I feel worse (probably coincidental) since I started it ten days ago.

Thanks to all who encouraged me to start. I can apply it easily now!

Dancinggirl

Re: Vagifem
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 08:12:27 PM »

I found the first 2 week daily use difficult - I think the fillers can be slightly irritating.  It took about 2-3 months before Vagifem really made things feel better. After the first 2-3 weeks of using Vagifem daily and you then continue with dosing 2-3 times a week it does get easier. Its worth persevering. DG x

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 09:01:22 PM »

Can anyone give me any indication of how long it takes for vagifem to have any effect. I'm assuming it may take a while, just interested because I feel worse (probably coincidental) since I started it ten days ago.

Thanks to all who encouraged me to start. I can apply it easily now!
I actually did benefit from the 1st 2 weeks of daily use. After that it fluctuated a bit and the gradually improved.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 09:41:50 PM »

As with any treatment, everyone is different; we all respond differently and can have different side effects and benefits. Treating urogenital atrophy is difficult and the speed of any benefits will depend on how bad things were to start with.
Vagifem is only one part of all the strategies needed to keep things comfortable - each women has to experiment with various moisturisers and often small changes to diet and exercise. Since suffering with urogenital atrophy since my early 40s (I'm now 63) and struggled with awful burning and UTI symptoms that were rarely diagnosed as infections, I now manage things quite well with a strict ranch of strategies. If some silly GP decides I no longer need Vagifem I really don't know how I will manage. DG x

Turkish delight

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 09:14:48 AM »

6 weeks for me, worked brilliantly until I got a UTI a while ago, and was treated with AB's, since then it's never been as effective, don't know why.

TD

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 09:37:00 AM »

Hello ladies

Since stopping HRT two months ago my nether regions have become increasingly dry and sore.   I  am going to try moisturisers but I wanted to ask if Vagifem is only on prescription and does it need to be inserted into the vagina as well as spread around the external area?

Sorry for such a simple question but this is new territory for me,  more's the pity!

Take care ladies.

K.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 10:21:35 AM »

Vagifem is only on prescription but if you go on holiday to Spain you can buy it over the counter. Vagifem is a pessary for insertion into the vagina but there are also oestrogen creams that can be applied externally. I personally found the creams burned badly so intimate moisturisers like SYLK or the YES products are best to help with dryness. I also use Multi Gyn Actigel occasionally if I feel itchy or think I'm developing a bacterial infection in the vagina which could trigger a UTI. It's very important to clean really well after opening the bowels to prevent bacteria from the gut getting in the vaginal area. DG x

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 10:54:38 AM »

Hello again ladies

Dancing - thank you for your comments. I am going to use a moisturiser today and try to get a GP appointment.

I wonder if a pessary effects the vaginal bacteria at all? I know this changes towards the end of a pregnancy so perhaps menopause alters the environment as well?  I did read somewhere that many UTIs are caused by e coli migrating from the bowel to the vagina and it was suggested that eliminating chicken from your diet would help as there is a lot of e coli in chicken.  I don't eat chicken myself but I thought it was an interesting idea!

Wishing you well.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 03:41:31 PM »

If chicken is cooked: as I mentioned previously: there will be no e-coli etc..   As I eat every little anyway [recovering anorexic] I cannot eliminate chicken from my diet  :-\.  I have never had problems as I don't eat chicken unless DH cooks it  ;)  :-*.  I was even suspicious if his Mum did it  ::)

The thing that is passed from bowel into the vagina is candida. [thrush].  So good toilet hygiene is important.  e.coli causes D&V  :-X

As for the 2 appropriate treatments for vaginal atrophy, 'vagifem' or 'ovestin' are prescribed: the idea to use either every night for 2 weeks then with the 1st product as necessary until symptoms ease.  Because this is delivered at a lesser amount than previously prescribed, some ladies need it every night ...... some alternate nights.  I find 'ovestin' absolutely fine - as stated, some ladies need 'yes' or 'sylc' products as well around the outer labia ...... the important issue is to stop any dryness which may cause the area to itch! 

UTIs - mimic vaginal atrophy really really well  >:(.    Reading our topics on bladder issues and vaginal atrophy will bring you up to date ;-)

shrosphirelass

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 07:56:51 PM »

Thanks all. I intend to carry on and know there's no quick fix. I just wondered if you get worse before you get better as have a lot more feeling of urgency since starting. Have also had slight burning but like you say DG could be the fillers.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 08:00:45 PM »

If you find that you can't get comfy maybe swap to 'ovestin'?