Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: earache/inflamed outer canal & Sofradex drops  (Read 4605 times)

Katejo

earache/inflamed outer canal & Sofradex drops
« on: August 31, 2019, 04:36:20 PM »

I have had a mild but persistent left earache for the past week. At first I thought it would resolve itself but it didn't so I went to the GP yesterday and she gave me Sofradex drops. I haven't had any improvement yet and actually felt worse today. The instructions say that it should improve within 48 to 72 hours.
Has anyone used them before? Did it start to clear within that time? I am finding that, even if I lie on my side for a few minutes, it doesn't stay in the ear very well.
Any reassurance welcome. i am supposed to be going on holiday next Saturday.   :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: earache/inflamed outer canal & Sofradex drops
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 04:53:03 PM »

It takes while if there is an infection or soreness for medication to work.  Have you needed an over the counter pain relief by mouth?  I remember ear ache as a child  :'(

Also at this time of Life the canal narrows which can trap debris which needs syringing occasionally  ::) - oh the joys! Not!

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 05:01:59 PM »

It takes while if there is an infection or soreness for medication to work.  Have you needed an over the counter pain relief by mouth?  I remember ear ache as a child  :'(

Also at this time of Life the canal narrows which can trap debris which needs syringing occasionally  ::) - oh the joys! Not!

I managed without painkillers yesterday but have taken them today. On Thursday I thought that it was clearing up but then I woke up early on Friday with an attack of tinnitus. GP said that this was due to fluid in the ear. I thought i had better get it checked out due to my planned flight next Saturday.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 05:29:48 PM »

Fluid can cause pressure  :-\ ?  You have my sympathy.  I occasionally get a sharp stabbing pain in the ear due to narrow Eustachian tubes but fortunately, nothing like I suffered as a child  :-\

No dizziness hopefully?

Sparrow

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 05:36:12 PM »

I was plagued by ear ache, as a child.  My mum used to put olive oil in my ear, pre warmed on a spoon. She would then put a cushion on the floor and stand me on my head, holding my ankles.  She insisted this gave the olive oil more chance to get right into the ear.

I'm not suggesting you stand on your head but maybe kneel with your head down or hang over the side of the bed.

Hope it improves soon.
Shadyglade

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 05:37:34 PM »

Fluid can cause pressure  :-\ ?  You have my sympathy.  I occasionally get a sharp stabbing pain in the ear due to narrow Eustachian tubes but fortunately, nothing like I suffered as a child  :-\

No dizziness hopefully?
  No not this time. I have previously had a viral infection in the same ear which caused severe dizziness for about 48 hours.

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 06:34:37 PM »

Hello  Katejo.

I'm so sorry that you are suffering. I often had earache as a child so I know how painfulit can be. My mother would also pour warmed oil into  my ear, perhaps to soften any hardened wax. She also had me lay on a hot water bottle to soothe the pain. Not wishing to alarm you but one of my infections became an absyss requiring anti biotics so keep a close watch on developments.

Shadyglade - as I said my mother also used the warm oil treatment but without the acrobatics lol!

Hope you feel better soon Katejo and sending hugs.

K.

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 07:12:55 PM »

You need to massage round your ear hole, and wiggle the cartiligey bit just in front, and the back, to help get it down  ;)

I used some ear drops and it got worse after a while which I think was when the stuff got under the wax and my ear was inflamed, then it sorted itself.

I would keep taking ibuprofen to help with inflammation for a couple of days.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 07:18:25 PM »

Flying won't help will it? 

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 07:31:53 PM »

Flying won't help will it?
I did ask the GP about that. She thought it would be ok.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 07:34:40 PM »

As long as there isn't too much inflammation I suppose take lots of sweets to suck?  Where abouts you going?

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 07:55:13 PM »

You need to massage round your ear hole, and wiggle the cartiligey bit just in front, and the back, to help get it down  ;)

I used some ear drops and it got worse after a while which I think was when the stuff got under the wax and my ear was inflamed, then it sorted itself.

Yes mine has been worse today since starting the drops yesterday. I wish I had gone to the GP last week but I first thought it was either a virus or caused by neck/shoulder tension. I will try massaging around the ear hole. 

Sparrow

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 08:22:26 PM »

Yes mine has been worse today since starting the drops yesterday. I wish I had gone to the GP last week but I first thought it was either a virus or caused by neck/shoulder tension. I will try massaging around the ear hole.

What not standing on head.??

Where is your adventurous spirit .  ;D

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 09:25:01 PM »

What not standing on head.??

Where is your adventurous spirit .  ;D
I haven't stood on my head for about 45 years so don't fancy trying again now !🙃

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 10:12:19 PM »

;D I'm naked, it wouldn't be a pretty sight  :lol:
Pages: [1] 2