Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Advice needed please  (Read 1514 times)

misskh

Advice needed please
« on: September 02, 2019, 12:17:53 PM »

I've been using Vagifem for a few years and for me it doesn't seem to be doing much...still not able to have sex comfortably, so in all honestly we don't.  :(
Recently I've been getting really smelly wee and incredibly sore down below. The smell goes if I drink plenty of water but the sorness has been going on for nearly a month now....odd how it's not always in one spot.
I've tried Replens which has offered some temporary relief, canesten thrush and hydrocortisone creams and Multi-gyn Actigel.

Having now had a lower dull ache in my tummy for a few days today I'd had enough and visited my Dr who ruled out a UTI, Thrush and Bacterial Vaginosis... I suffer with no discharge at all.
She seems to think that it's all part and parcel of the menopause,  I asked if I could use a prescribed cream around the vaginal area along with the vagifem but she seemed to think that they couldn't both be used together and has suggested that as I'm suffering with sweating, dryness and feeling generally worn down that I try an oral method tablet...which can ease much more symptoms.
I'm happy to do this if it means being soreness free and maybe even have my sexual relationship back with hubby...

Doesn't help that the computer system is down at my Dr surgery and she couldn't check re cream and vagifem together..
But she is going to phone later today with the answer....and also see if I'd any thoughts on taking oral tablets.

Has anyone tried vagifem and a cream?
Is the oral tablet a better type of HRT for some?
Any advice would be very much appreciated as I feel I'm suffering unnecessarily...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 12:26:32 PM »

Yep.  Many use 'vagifem' and oestrogel cream [I think] - vagifem into the vagina some need two doses at once. Other creams gently applied to the outer vaginal area.

It was 25 and is now prescribed at 10, some Bright Spark  >:( decided that women could do with 10  :beat:.   Some find 'sylc' or 'yes' products helpful, do read the vaginal atrophy threads and those on bladder issues.

At least your urine sample appears clean.  Have you taken any over the country pain relief?  It certainly eases any spasm of the bladder.

I would use it every night until symptoms ease, with 'ovestin' I have to put two in sometimes - one in the afternoon, a cuppa with pain relief, the other in the evening - it usually helps to do it every night for me.

misskh

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 12:44:09 PM »

Thank you...CKLD...

I take potassium citrate liquid in a glass of water to try and help with the urine problem. Must confess I'm not sure why the urine smells so strong, new one on me especially with no UTI.

I thought I'd read on here that cream and vagifem could be used together, I did mention it to the Dr but understandable that she wants to check.

Do you use vagifem every day?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 12:46:55 PM by misskh »

Nairn

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 12:52:10 PM »

Hi Misskh

Sorry to hear of your problems, been there many times.  I take oral high dose oestrogen HRT (2mg) AND have to apply topically, seems to work most of the time - but it took me a long time and a lot of misery to find a solution which worked.  I find if you manage to get it all under control then its manageable with the occasional flare up - I would not use cream and vagifem together internally - too much oestrogen can irritate.  If so then I would use Diprobase ointment (otc) for a few days as a barrier until things calm down - however you probably should ask your GP for an exam and an internal swab to just check.  If the smell goes with water then it may be something related to diet or supplements?     

In terms of topical application
Inside:  Vagifem, 14 days start is a must and then 3/4 times per week - religiously, even one missed dose can make a difference.  Every time I use a vagifem I also use Yes OB  - its available via mail order and seems to work better than the rest.  Either in the pre-loaded application or via tube/re purposed srynge.  I've tried most of the others but this seems to be the best for me
In terms of intimate relations, for me then lubricant is required for both parties.  Best I have found for me is Good Glide with Love Beads which you can buy online from Victoria Health, and I use REN rose body lotion on him - expensive, but smells wonderful and one of the few which does not irritate.  Actually with all of these a little goes a long way, so not as expensive as it first seems.
Hope that helps and things settle down.  Victoria Health actually have a great section on their website about this with some other suggestions as well

misskh

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 01:16:17 PM »

Thank you Nairncat....

I don't take any suppliments so I'm assuming it's possibly down to dehydration...all very odd..

With the HRT I'm unsure whether to change from vagifem to oral as I like the idea of it being topical, just wondered if the sirness needed extea help, I only use vagifem  twice a week as prescribed.

I do use Sylk as a lube, just haven't tried full blown sex as I think I expect the worst...

Nairn

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 01:23:04 PM »

Hi

I think different things work for different ladies, personally Sylk had absolutely no effect on me and topical was not nearly enough.  I took the view that my quality of life was super important as was my intimate relationship with my partner which is why I went down the HRT & topical route, but everyone is different.  good luck with whatever you decide x

misskh

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 01:36:27 PM »

Like you Nairncat my quality of life is so important to me, that's why I've decided to review what is best...
My hubby is so understanding.

Can i ask which brand/name of HRT products that you have on prescription so that I can discuss with my Dr please.

Nairn

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 01:44:34 PM »

Hi there

if its sequential/sequi (where you have a bleed every month) I was on Femonston 2/10 (the 2 stands for 2mg of Estrogen)
if its continuous/conti (no bleed and for older ladies who are seen to be through the meno) then I'm on Kilofem 2mg

I am super sensitive to progesterone so they were best for me, but your GP may suggest something else for you such as patches or topical.  You can always start low dose and then increase - I think it took me several attempts to get the right formulation for me, so don't be too downhearted if it takes a while and it could take a few weeks to notice the results.  A lot of ladies prefer patches as it bypasses the digestive system and supposedly lower risk, so its what suits you - if you have a look around this site there is loads of info.   2 links here for pre and post formulations

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

I hope that helps.  I think whilst our partners are very understanding, its lovely to be able to enjoy intimacy without the fear of the 'ouch' factor which really does not help!!! 

misskh

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 01:53:22 PM »

Thank you....

No bleeding, infact i haven't had a period or spotting for many years....
I'm one who prefers to bypass the digestive system with medication where ever possible...

I'll have a read up on info.....

Maybe I'm a bit ran down and could do with a reload of vagifem then use if more than twice a week...and use of a lub more regularly..

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 03:22:19 PM »

Every night for 2 weeks, with lubrication of choice and pain relief will help too.

My pee smells when I eat asparagus and turns pink with beetroot  :o  ::).  The first one of the day may be smelly as it's more concentrated.  After that urine should be straw coloured, any paler and the person is drinking too much, darker and they are dehydrated.  We take in liquids from foods too, i.e. soups, stews, puddings .........

As long as you haven't any infections etc. and feel OK, I wouldn't worry too much.  My pee doesn't smell every day but if it's been hot weather !  ::)

misskh

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 04:22:05 PM »

I've been keeping a note of what i've been eating/drinking...nothing out of the ordinary...and pretty much only drink water and a latte....

Dr's pretty sure i've no infection...I only handed a teaspoon of a urine sample in as it's all I could do on account of getting a Dr's appointment there and then, rare as hens teeth that is...and having peed just before hand.
But she said she's pretty sure it's clear...

This has all came our of nowhere at the beginning of August... Although tummy discomfort only recently...