Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Should I start Vagifem  (Read 3750 times)

Marie62

Should I start Vagifem
« on: August 30, 2019, 04:51:14 PM »

I've been on Femoston Conti 1/5 for around 2 weeks now and doing ok so far (touch wood) but about 3 weeks ago I started getting symptoms of cystitis no actual pain but the nippy feeling is there, no burning or urge to pee.
I've been given vagifem but after googling🙄 I've came across a few reports of hair loss and as I've suffered from this before I'm very wary of starting it.
I was on Elleste conti before and lost a lot through that, changed to Angeliq and it grew back but due to Angeliq being discontinued I've had to go on Femoston.
I'm thinking maybe wait a few more weeks to see if the Femoston helps with the bladder problem or start vagifem.
If I start it now and lose more hair I won't know what's causing it ie. vagifem or Femeston.
Has anyone had side effects on Vagifem?
I think I should have asked for a cream instead as it seems to be external rather than internal.
I thought I'd got away with the down below problems as I've had most of the other menopause symptoms but no such luck 😂

Whatsupwiththis

Re: Should I start Vagifem
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 05:31:55 PM »

Hi.  Before I started Vagifem I read a ton of reviews particularly with regards to side effects and one of the more prominent reviews/side effects was hair loss.  The loss of hair could be from a host of other conditions but you may want to google reviews on Vagifem.  Hope this helps.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 05:40:52 PM »

I have had no side effects from Vagifem just the benefits and i use it every day.

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 06:06:36 PM »

I've been on Femoston Conti 1/5 for around 2 weeks now and doing ok so far (touch wood) but about 3 weeks ago I started getting symptoms of cystitis no actual pain but the nippy feeling is there, no burning or urge to pee.
I've been given vagifem but after googling🙄 I've came across a few reports of hair loss and as I've suffered from this before I'm very wary of starting it.
I was on Elleste conti before and lost a lot through that, changed to Angeliq and it grew back but due to Angeliq being discontinued I've had to go on Femoston.
I'm thinking maybe wait a few more weeks to see if the Femoston helps with the bladder problem or start vagifem.
If I start it now and lose more hair I won't know what's causing it ie. vagifem or Femeston.
Has anyone had side effects on Vagifem?
I think I should have asked for a cream instead as it seems to be external rather than internal.
I thought I'd got away with the down below problems as I've had most of the other menopause symptoms but no such luck 😂
The side effects listed on the Vagifem leaflet are actually for systemic HRT not local. Vagifem has worked well for me and I haven't had any side effects.

Marie62

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 06:45:43 PM »

Have just looked up reviews on Vagifem and there are loads saying they had hair loss while taking it.
I really don't think it's worth the risk as I can't afford to lose any more hair especially as it took so long to grow back and look somewhat normal again.
I know some people say it doesn't really get into the bloodstream but I don't see how it can't!
I haven't been able to find any medical documents about it online.
Any ideas what could help my ‘nippy'
bladder? I'm not great at drinking water so I'm going to try and drink more to see if that will help a bit. Don't know if the Oveston cream would be any good,just to use externally.
Been post menopause over 6 years now and as soon as one symptom goes another crops up!!!
Just feel this menopause will never end and it's really getting me down :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 09:49:56 PM »

Where did you read those reviews Ginny62.  If you want to suffer a life long complaint that can be eased ? when some women need surgical intervention because their vagina is so dry that it sticks together  :o : rare but it happens.

The idea is to use the product for 2 weeks every night to plump up the vagina and ease dryness.  Then 1 uses the product  twice a week: i.e. 5th night and 6/7th night.  Some ladies need Slyc or Yes products for the outer labia. 

These HRT medications are used locally and there is little uptake in the rest of the body.  Why when it's put into the vaginal tissues would it migrate, though I did have breast soreness for the 1st time in 4/5 years when I had a break and required 'ovestin' again [got lazy, basically]. 

Drinking makes not one iota of difference!  Why not give it a try, OK you may have hair loss but you will feel a lot more comfy in the vaginal area.  Our hair makes our personality - do you lose all over hair or simply from the head? 

You could try over the counter pain relief and 'sycl' or 'yes' products do have a read of the vaginal atrophy threads here.  HERE is what we know and what you have been reading may not be relevant ;-)

jaycee

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 09:56:03 PM »

I know people say vagifem can't cause hair loss but on the side effects it says could cause hair loss and even breast pain,
Some of the side effects are on the vagifem website alone
I have had hair loss since using vagifem ,but i was on livial at the same time, although i was on livial before with no hair loss
I have stopped the vagifem now and thinking of stopping the livial
I decided to try a patch, as the Dr said they were safer than tablets, but he gave me Evoral Conti, and i lost even more hair and now have bald patches from the crown down,so stopped those too,and went back on livial
Stopping those when tablets are done,
If things like certain eye drops, which don't  go through your system  can cause hair loss why wouldn't vagifem
I am not convinced,i will soon know when i have been stopped a while,my hair  seems to have stopped falling ,just hope it grows back

jaycee

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 10:05:41 PM »

Ginny,i don't think drinking more water will make any difference, you could try vagifem and see how you feel about it,or you could get an alternative
I am sure though that there wouldn't be complaints about hair loss if it didn't happen, some people might be more sensitive to it than others
When i had the Evoral Conti, i had a lot of hair loss, but some others thought it was wonderful, everyone is different
Not everyone has VA from what i read,i didn't, but it was through having a bad UTI that i was given it
If i feel i need it or something similiar i will try it again but for now i am not using it

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 01:27:18 PM »

Urinary tract infections should be analysed in a lab. so that appropriate anti-biotic therapy can be given.   Vaginal atrophy mimics UT symptoms really really well. 

ABs will ease symptoms.  But appropriate VA treatment is really worth a try.

Marie62

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 01:39:16 PM »

I've decided not to take Vagifem unless it gets unbearable as I don't think it's worth the risk of losing more hair. I know it's only hair and may grow back but the anxiety it causes really gets to me. I work in a customer facing role and I would lose all my confidence I'm afraid.
I don't seem to be dry internally and have some clear discharge it's just the kind of nipping cystitis like feeling I get.
Does any know if there are any alternatives to Vagifem that could help?

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 01:44:42 PM »

None that will plump up vaginal tissue as medication will.

Do read about 'sylc' and 'yes' products - if you put the names into the search box they will pop up. Make notes  ;).  Appearance is important to many people so feeling good when meeting visitors etc. is important. 

You may find that a good over the counter pain relief as well as 'sylc' or 'yes' will help - but as I had razor blades up there  :o I could not have continued anyway.  I wasn't dry as such but there was enough dryness high up to cause symptoms.   ::)

Let us know how you get on.

Marie62

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 02:32:22 PM »

Thanks CLKD
I've just changed to Femoston Conti about 2 weeks ago after being on Angeliq but the symptoms started about a week before I started Femoston so maybe the Angeliq had stopped working so well, who knows.
Maybe the Femoston will work for the bladder issues here's hoping.
I'll certainly read up about the products you suggested thank you again

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 02:33:02 PM »

Do you keep a mood/symptom/food diary, I may have asked already.  Charting where we are can be helpful.

Jaceyc

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 08:29:52 AM »

I just wondered if you feel the femoston conti has improved hair loss?  My hair has been coming out a lot since about June. It has got very thin on top and I couldn't go out in the Summer without a hat as my head would burn.  I've been trying products to help but if anything the problem is getting worse. I'm tempted to try hrt but have read a lot of feedback saying it made it worse. Just wondered if after a month or so, you think the femoston is helping?

Joney

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 04:25:54 PM »

I've just started Vagifem today and sincerely hope my hair will be ok. Came off Femeston 1/5 a month ago and given my hair was good on that and the oestrogen in Vagifem is the same but 1/100th the strength I'm hoping all will be ok.
Pages: [1] 2