Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Should I start Vagifem  (Read 3748 times)

Hurdity

Re: Should I start Vagifem
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 07:53:52 PM »

Systemic absorption from Vagifem is minimal so very doubtful it could cause hair loss - which is more likely to be a result of reduced oestrogen. This declines rapidly following menopause so will lead to hair thinning. The medical product info for Vagifem does not mention hair loss:
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/5719/smpc

Hope your hair will be OK Joney but depending where you are in menopause your oestrogen will be decreasing so expect some hair thinning anyway....

Hurdity x

Sammiejane

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 08:33:49 PM »

Hi

If you go on vagifem website it lost hairloss as common side effect

Katejo

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 03:10:05 PM »

Hi

If you go on vagifem website it lost hairloss as common side effect
Vagifem lists side effects which only apply to systemic HRT. I haven't had any hair loss at all.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2019, 11:09:23 PM »

I have used Vagifem for over 3 years now and need to use every day but I haven't experienced any hair loss.

Hurdity

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2019, 08:00:15 AM »

Hi girls,

https://www.vagifem.com/

“The most commonly reported side effects of Vagifem® include: headache, breast pain, irregular vaginal bleeding or spotting, stomach/abdominal cramps, bloating, nausea and vomiting, hair loss, fluid retention, and vaginal yeast infection.”

They can't say it any plainer than that, can they!

BeaR.

Yes we know this - others have reported that the Vagifem site gives this info.

However the actual official medical account at the link I gave does not mention it whatsoever, so actually we don't know the circumstances of these side effects. The medical info gives results from clinical trials and then gives other side effects from what they term "post-marketing experience" which of course as you know is anecdotal.

" Post-marketing experience:

In addition to the above mentioned adverse drug reactions, those presented below have been spontaneously reported for patients being treated with Vagifem 25 micrograms and are considered possibly related to treatment. The reporting rate of these spontaneous adverse reactions is very rare (<1/10,000 patient years)
."

Even so hair loss is not mentioned, so I am puzzled why the (American) site even mentions it but as there is no scientific info I would suggest that this also could be anecdotal.

I mean logically - it is very unlikely (hair loss) and if it does occur would be very rare I would suggest, as there is such minimal systemic absorption and therefore very little of the hormone gets into the system to do anything other than where it is intended ie the vaginal tissues.

In the absence of any data or scientific investigation/explanation into this, my bet is that actually many women who use this on its own as VA begins to take effect and who do not use any othe HRT, actually experience haor loss due to advancing menopause and reduced oestrogen rather than the Vagifem - but have attributed it to this.

I mean never say never - but I wouild expect any actual effect to be extremely rare - that is my understanding anyway!

I think those who want to use it should stop worrying about heir and get on with sorting out their VA! If you don;t want to use Vagifem use estriol, and maybe consider systemic HRT but not with an androgenic progestogen if they have hair issues.

Hurdity x

Sammiejane

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2019, 12:01:42 PM »

Hi

Found this in Vagifem website

What are the possible side effects of Vagifem®?
Vagifem® is only used in the vagina; however, the risks associated with oral estrogens should be taken into account. The most commonly reported side effects of Vagifem® include: headache, breast pain, irregular vaginal bleeding or spotting, stomach/abdominal cramps, bloating, nausea and vomiting, hair loss, fluid retention, and vaginal yeast infection.

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2019, 08:06:51 PM »

Sammiejane - thanks but that is exactly the same as bear posted just before mine and which I responded to in my previous post! Do read what I said and you will see how strange I think it is that they (Vagifem company) have written this. What's more - whoever heard of vomiting being a common side effect of Vagifem? Even nausea is listed as an uncommon side effect in the medical product info not the strange Vagifem website which I can't make out at all!. Quite honestly without actual data that site seems to be a bit scare-mongering which is strange as it is the commercial site - the only explanation is that because it is a US site, they may be listing everything possible including systemic HRT to avoid litigation?  :-\

I think this thread is getting side tracked from the main point  - that Vagifem is a reputable, tested and very effective treatment for VA and, not miminising some concerns that some may feel about using it - that no-one should be put off by the listing of every possible side effect that has ever occurred as well as those that occur with systemic HRT and go ahead to treat this debilitating and distressing condition (VA) using the products available.

Hurdity x

Sammiejane

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2019, 11:55:46 PM »

Hi hurdity

If that is the case and Vagifem is unlikely to cause hair loss then my hair loss must be from estradiol itself as I tried a patch for 7 weeks and it didn't suit I then stopped it and a week later started Vagifem then 5 weeks into Vagifem my hair started falling out , so I stopped the Vagifem and swapped to Ovestin , but my hair is still shedding now and can't be low estrogen cause I had low estrogen following hysterectomy and ovary removal 5 yrs prior and as it still shedding makes me wonder whether estrogen itself ! Yet I had no trouble on birth control very strange it's definitely that or imbalance in all 3 hormones I'm going to add testosterone when I see my gp Tuesday even low estrogen level low cause I can't cope either that or go back on birth control

bear

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2019, 06:22:35 PM »

Hi Sammiejane,

I will send you a PM, regarding your hair thinning/loss.

BeaR.

bear

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2019, 06:24:50 PM »

Sammiejane - thanks but that is exactly the same as bear posted just before mine and which I responded to in my previous post! Do read what I said and you will see how strange I think it is that they (Vagifem company) have written this. What's more - whoever heard of vomiting being a common side effect of Vagifem? Even nausea is listed as an uncommon side effect in the medical product info not the strange Vagifem website which I can't make out at all!. Quite honestly without actual data that site seems to be a bit scare-mongering which is strange as it is the commercial site - the only explanation is that because it is a US site, they may be listing everything possible including systemic HRT to avoid litigation?  :-\

I think this thread is getting side tracked from the main point  - that Vagifem is a reputable, tested and very effective treatment for VA and, not miminising some concerns that some may feel about using it - that no-one should be put off by the listing of every possible side effect that has ever occurred as well as those that occur with systemic HRT and go ahead to treat this debilitating and distressing condition (VA) using the products available.

Hurdity x

Hi Hurdity,

You seem very knowledgeable about Vagifem. Do you know the reason why the 25 µg presentation has been discontinued?

BeaR.
Pages: 1 [2]