Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ospemifene  (Read 2357 times)

Scottie56

Ospemifene
« on: August 30, 2019, 10:58:32 AM »

I've read about Ospemifene as a treatment for vaginal atrophy. I'm unclear if it's actually available now or just in the treatment stages. Has anyone come across this? Or any other suggestions for this miserable condition? I seem to have tried everything

Scottie56

Re: Ospemifene
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 12:37:05 PM »

You can find more info about Ospemifene here https://dtb.bmj.com/content/57/6/89. I've tried HRT, various moisturisers prescribed by my GP, Vagifem, Estriol pessaries which were ineffective. I've currently got Estriol cream and a dilator. The cream causes irritation which feels like Thrush although isn't. Nothing so far has made any difference.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 01:11:55 PM by Scottie56 »

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 05:42:55 PM »

Reviews have been very mixed.  I asked my GP about Osphena but she wasn't too enthusiastic.

Scottie56

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 08:20:38 PM »

I must admit I haven't given Estriol 6 months. I didn't realise it could take that long to start working. It causes uncomfortable irritation after I've used it for about a week. I have tried to carry on using it despite that but the irritation doesn't go away until I stop using it. This problem has been going on for a number of years now - I am losing faith that anything is going to help.

Reviews have been very mixed.  I asked my GP about Osphena but she wasn't too enthusiastic.

Did your GP say why she wasn't enthusiastic about Osphena?

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 02:14:01 PM »

She said there hasn't been enough positive feedback to recommend one way or the other.  What works for one may not work for another so give it a try.

Foxylady

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 03:50:21 PM »

Dr Louise Newson briefly mentions it in her new book just out aswell as intrarosa (vaginal pessary to be available from late 2019).

Scottie56

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 09:21:48 AM »

That's really useful info thank you. I realise since finding this forum that I have been completely unaware of how difficult VA is to treat. It is rarely mentioned in information about the menopause and I thought I was an unlucky rarity. Back to my GP I think.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 08:18:27 AM »

Hi Scottie56

:welcomemm:

Looks like Osphena is the brand name for Ospemifene in US not UK. Ospemifene is the active ingredient in the drug known as "Senshio" which appears to be licensed in UK.  It is in a class of compounds called selective oestrogen receptor modulators (SERMs). These compounds bind to some oestrogen receptors and not others - sometimes acting like oestrogen and sometimes blocking its effects. It binds to oestrogen receptors in the vagina and acts like oestrogen in vaginal tissues "increasing the cellular maturation and mucification of the vaginal epithelium" (NICE).

The difference is that it is a orally ingested drug rather than locally applied product as other vaginal treatments are. If you want to have chapter and verse on VA then please look at Maryjane's posts who has written a book called "Me and My Menpausal Vagina" Jane Lewis and has a private vaginal atrophy Facebook group which you could ask to join. Also there are threads on here - one called "The Burning Club" started by Dancinggirl in the Private Lives section.

It's not my area of expertise but you may well benefit from systemic HRT if you are able to take it as well as local oestrogen - some of use both in order to stay comfortable, and some have a regular regime of moisturisers and lubricants too.(I use full HRT, Vagifem every 3 days, and estriol cream when I have my HRT induced withdrawal bleed and sometimes on extrenal areas).

Personally I would not want to take an oral preparation like this which could have differential effects on different areas of the body - so I would say if you are considering this route then systemic HRT may be better - depends on your other symptoms of course.

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 06:49:24 PM »

Bump for Bobidy and Tracey E

Hurdity x

KiltedCupid

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 07:09:13 PM »

Dr Louise Newson briefly mentions it in her new book just out aswell as intrarosa (vaginal pessary to be available from late 2019).

Foxylady - do you have any further info on intrarosa launch date in U.K.? I find Vagifem irritating, I think it must be the fillers, and I'd love to try intrarosa. I know it's available in Spain just now but wondered if it might be here soon.

bear

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 07:58:14 PM »

Hi KiltedCupid,

Intrarosa has been launched in the beginning of this year. https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/9986/smpc

I couldn't help noticing that there's a link at the bottom of the page to contact Nicholas Saunders (Theramex) regarding stock availability. I wonder if he can update us on FemSeven  ;D

BeaR.

KiltedCupid

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 08:16:47 PM »

Hi KiltedCupid,

Intrarosa has been launched in the beginning of this year. https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/9986/smpc

I couldn't help noticing that there's a link at the bottom of the page to contact Nicholas Saunders (Theramex) regarding stock availability. I wonder if he can update us on FemSeven  ;D

BeaR.

I'm digging out my best quill and parchment and shall pen him a letter!

Thanks for that BeaR, seeing my GP soon so I'll ask if intrarosa is available now.

bear

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 08:26:33 PM »

Poor Mr. Saunders. Shall I post the link on the FemSeven thread? ;D

BeaR.

KiltedCupid

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 08:28:42 PM »

Hahaha. Yes please, the link would be useful.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 08:38:51 PM »

Intrarosa (Prasterone in Canada) looks promising!  Thx. for the info. 
Pages: [1] 2