Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shortage, alternatives help please  (Read 1648 times)

Tc

Shortage, alternatives help please
« on: August 28, 2019, 09:56:09 AM »

Hiya ladies.

I've been on phone to every pharmasist I know. One went through the whole list with me , he tried manufacturer direct for my  estradot 100 and couldnt get them. No everol no eastraderm.

The upshot was he told me what IS available ,
Femseven 50
Or Proginova TS forte  100
And that's it!!

Or tablets

Femeston conti
Femeston 2/10

He said he cant get zumarin 

Iive got to speak to doc about alternative scrip

I've never heard of proginova.has anyone else?

I'm on 2x100 estradot so femseven 50 would mean using 4 patches.

If I was to  change to tablet would femeston 2/10 be a good equivalent.? I believe it's the higher dose of the femeston.  Its obvs a different progesterone I'm on utrogestan cycle but I'm not getting on great with it anyway (migraines). The only thing that worries me is a doc put me off the tablets as I'm overweight and smoke.

I know everyone is in the same boat here and all panicking but I'm . Just hoping someone with a bit more knowledge of different HRTs than myself might be able to help me. My doc cant see me for ages so I'm getting a phone call sometime today. And they are pretty clueless when it comes to HRT.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
X

Dotty

Re: Shortage, alternatives help please
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 10:53:54 AM »

Hi Tc

If you are on 100 patch then it's unlikely that Femoston would contain enough oestrogen for you as 2/10 is equivalent to a 50 patch.

Progynova is an oestrogen only tablet and each tablet contains 2mg of Oestradiol Valerate. Have a look at the following links which show you the different hrt preparations.
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

The following links shows you the equivalent dosages (at the bottom of page 1).  The equivalent of 100 patch is 3mg tablet or 4 pumps of gel:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Hope that helps x

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Tc

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 10:57:37 AM »

Thanks dotty. Thanks for the links.
He said there is a proginova patch. I see it on the list you linked. Its 100 but only once a week. Not sure how that works. Same dose as estradot 100 but that's twice a week.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 11:08:15 AM by Tc »

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 11:24:17 AM »

Hi Tc

You are right  :) there is a Progynova patch....I've never heard of that one before.  Maybe that will be better for you if you can get it.  The Femseven patches were only once a week too x

Tc

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 12:13:22 PM »

Thanks dotty. Yes. Looking at the list I think it's my only option other than tablet. But as you say the tablet isnt a high dose. Having said that I. Ight not need such a high dose on tablet as I might well absorb it better.
Just the blood clot issue realy. But I've often wondered if the utrogestan carriesthe same risk. I'm going to look into it because if it does I will be no worse off taking the femeston I wouldnt have thought

These  shortages have turned into a crisis. !!!

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 12:15:57 PM »

I don't think the Utrogestan causes a risk when taken orally. I think it's the oestrogen that causes the risk but it's still minimal. However I might be wrong x

Tc

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 12:50:55 PM »

Hmm.. looked it up. Previous thrombosis is listed as a  contra indication. . But thrombosis is not listed as a side effect.

Therefore I guess it's about risk. I have no previous history of blood clots (touch wood) but my weight and long term smoking pur me at a higher risk of thrombosis in general so whether oral HRT would increase the risk I already have is the consideration and I think that's the reason the gynae decided against it.

Thanks Dot. Xx

Countrygirl

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 12:59:47 PM »

Tc I can't remember if you said, but do you suffer migraines, it's just I was told I couldn't have the tablets because I got migraines, not sure if it only applies to aura ones or not, but this was why I was offered patches x

Tc

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 01:17:01 PM »

Yes CG. I do. At moment the utrogestan seems to be bringing them on severely again. I had hormonal migraine into my 40s but was relatively free of them until I  switched to afrom continous to a  cycle HRT.

I read that a continous regime is better for migraine than a cycle. Are you on a cycle?

Countrygirl

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 01:23:28 PM »

I'm on continuous Tc as have mirena as didn't get on with the mini pill many moons ago and found I coped with mirena progesterone x

Tc

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »

CG. I think I'm going to be going to mirena too.
Glad to hear you dont get migraine on it.

Countrygirl

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 05:56:33 PM »

They definitely got less when I started hrt only get the numb face ones now, but no headache so can live quite happily with that x

shrosphirelass

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 06:15:12 PM »

Hi TC and countrygirl, sorry to hijack but I have been suffering really badly again with headaches and don't know what to do. I'm on cyclic HRT patches so was wondering whether it may be better to have a continuous regime instead. Also I wondered about mirena but was worried in case it made me feel worse and the the difficulties of having it removed. What do you think? x

Tc

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 06:40:36 PM »

Update. Doc phoned and has sent a scrip for 48 progyNova patches to the pharmacy. Fingers crossed. It dosent fall off the available list by tommorow.

Shropshire lass. I was sent some info re migraine and HRT but I cant link it. I've tried. The general opinion seems to be that a continuous regime is better for migraine sufferers if your migraine has been caused  by hormones in the past .as it  minimizes the fluctuations with a cycle which  can trigger migraine.

But i believe it depends where you are in meno I believe a conti regime isnt usually  given to ladies in peri. But i might be wrong in that 

As for the mirena. I have no experience of it. but i do know that the mirena can be used in both peri and post.

You are not hijacking at all. I too I would be interested to see how other ladies with migraine have got on with the mirena .

Xxx

shrosphirelass

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 06:51:40 PM »

Thanks TC. I've always had hormonal headaches, I could time my peiod by them. I always thought they were sinus ones but apparently more likely to be migraines. I'm 57 and had periods up to starting HRT last year so son't know where I'm at, but must be approaching menopause and am guessing recurring symptoms particularly the severe headaches is an indicator that my natural estrogen levels have fallen.
Pages: [1] 2