Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Antibiotics  (Read 3985 times)

Dancinggirl

Re: Antibiotics
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 03:19:08 PM »

LilyAndEsme - Vagifem is essential if you have urogenital atrophy and it will help to reduce further problems - follow the instructions carefully and do use vaginal moisturisers as well (SYLK or the YES products are best) but not at the same time as the Vagifem. I intend to use Vagifem and moisturiser for the rest of my life to help keep things healthy around my urogenital area.  UTI symptoms are very common with urogenital atrophy and quite often there is no infection present but this should be checked out just in case. I find that if you drink plenty of water most of the time you can prevent UTIs and reduce the burning etc. Cranberry juice is too sweet and acidic so shouldn't be used really, water with half a teaspoon of bicarb of soda is much better. At the onset of UTI symptoms I believe you can reduce the chances of infection taking hold by drinking lots of water - so basically flushing the system out.  Avoiding caffeine, fruit juices and alcohol can really help to prevent UTIs. If your GP has recommend antibiotics then you should probably take them (like you I hate taking ABs) but if you feel the infection has cleared you could hold off for a couple of days to really see if the infection has cleared up. 
DG x

Katejo

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 03:55:18 PM »

LilyAndEsme - Vagifem is essential if you have urogenital atrophy and it will help to reduce further problems - follow the instructions carefully and do use vaginal moisturisers as well (SYLK or the YES products are best) but not at the same time as the Vagifem. I intend to use Vagifem and moisturiser for the rest of my life to help keep things healthy around my urogenital area.  UTI symptoms are very common with urogenital atrophy and quite often there is no infection present but this should be checked out just in case. I find that if you drink plenty of water most of the time you can prevent UTIs and reduce the burning etc. Cranberry juice is too sweet and acidic so shouldn't be used really, water with half a teaspoon of bicarb of soda is much better. At the onset of UTI symptoms I believe you can reduce the chances of infection taking hold by drinking lots of water - so basically flushing the system out.  Avoiding caffeine, fruit juices and alcohol can really help to prevent UTIs. If your GP has recommend antibiotics then you should probably take them (like you I hate taking ABs) but if you feel the infection has cleared you could hold off for a couple of days to really see if the infection has cleared up. 
DG x
The consultant td me that the idea of flushing the infection out was a .myth.

bear

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 04:45:58 PM »

DG x
The consultant td me that the idea of flushing the infection out was a .myth.

I agree with your consultant, Katejo. Bacteria can form biofilms, and there's no way drinking lots of water would flush them out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biofilm

Drinking water is always good, though  :)

BeaR.
Pages: 1 [2]