Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Could it be my pelvic floor?  (Read 1792 times)

Donnadoobie

Could it be my pelvic floor?
« on: August 12, 2019, 01:44:36 PM »

I have had an uncomfortable feeling in my bottom and lower back area for the past three months, which does come and go.  When I am more relaxed it is better but then comes back when I am stressed or anxious.

I have just had a really relaxing weekend away with my husband and I barely noticed it, today, I feel sore and uncomfortable again. Work problems.

Somebody mentioned about pelvic floor problems.  I notice that I am clenching all the time.  Could it be problems in relaxing my pelvic floor?  I am trying to find a women's physio, is this the right direction to go?  I know deep down this is all caused by anxiety.  I don't have any issues with leaks or constipation but I do notice that I consciously have to stop clenching all day, almost as if I am trying to protect that area.

Hurdity

Re: Could it be my pelvic floor?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 07:09:12 PM »

Where are you in menopause Donnadoobie and how old are you? Also are you on HRT? When I last stopped HRT (8 years ago!) for 3 months I got bad lower back/pelvic pain and acheiness and only relieved it by putting my feet up in the evening. In my case it was definitely lack of oestrogen because it completely disappeared when I went back on HRT. Lack of oestrogen does have a negative effect on collagen and therefore things aren't held in place in quite the same way so you could be experiencing the result of this?

Yes it is important to do pelvic floor exercises as we age  - but I always forget - as I'm on HRT - but still should!

Hurdity x

Donnadoobie

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 07:22:26 PM »

Hurdity, I am 57 and about 4 years post menopausal.  I suffer with anxiety which has been really bad for the last 3 months, which is also when this feeling started and I convinced myself I had bowel cancer.  I don't, a colonoscopy confirmed this 6 weeks ago.

I have not had any problems going into the menopause but recently I have anxiety and lower back, coccyx pain.  I exercise a lot, although cannot motivate myself to do so at the moment, due to my anxiety and I always thought my pelvic floor was strong.  I run, dance, jump and sneeze with no leaks.  It is the tension from not being able to relax the muscles through the day that is making me uncomfortable I think. 

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 08:09:59 PM »

Donnadoobie, I  think a women's health physio might be your best bet to get a diagnosis. Possibly you have an overtight pelvic floor, and would benefit from instruction on how to relax it.

Hurdity, the world has gone mad on kegels and they can make things worse for folk like Donnadoobie. They are only necessary if the PF is weak, which is not the case for every menopausal woman! A proper diagnosis and guidance from a good women's health physio is the safest course  ;)

JP x

Donnadoobie

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 08:39:16 PM »

Thanks Joniepat.  Yes I was reading about this just the other day.  Kegels can have the opposite effect in women who have strong pelvic floor muscles.  Now I am not saying mine are the strongest but never really have a problem unless I have a really bad cough, but if I can run for 10 - 15 minutes without a leak I am guessing they are strong enough. 

Trying to find a women's physio who responds to e mails or messages is a task though  ;). Just feel so uncomfortable today.

Donnadoobie

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 09:39:38 PM »

I have made an appointment with a women's physio, unfortunately it is not until 16th Sept. I have two weeks in Crete in the middle of that, so hopefully I can try to relax a bit.

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 06:27:52 AM »

I have made an appointment with a women's physio, unfortunately it is not until 16th Sept. I have two weeks in Crete in the middle of that, so hopefully I can try to relax a bit.

Glad to hear you found someone  :). In the meantime, have a lovely, relaxing holiday!

JP x

Donnadoobie

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 06:19:37 AM »

Went to a women's physio the other day and so glad I did.

She gave me a thorough examination, including an internal.  Told me to use a vaginal moisturiser as I am very dry

Muscles are all fine and working well.  Tension across my pelvis.

Pelvic floor is very strong and not hypertonic but I have a tendency to overwork them, by clenching and not relaxing. She told me NOT to do PF exercises, as this will make everything worse.  Just focus on relaxing, rather than tensing. 

Felt as if my body had not completely packed up and was working well, I was just concerned about the dryness. I have ordered some Yes VM.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 09:20:34 AM »

Maybe you do need a product for vaginal atrophy ie some local oestrogen. Vaginal moisturiser on its own is not the answer. With continued lack of oestrogen the dryness may only get worse and better to treat now than leave it to get debilitating?

I have never come across the idea that pelvic floor exercises are harmful - in fact a leaflet I looked at from the Chartered soc of physiotherpaists said do them every day. I can understand that as well as clenching the area needs relaxing but I would have though just like with the stomach once you've strengthened the area you hold it in all the time without even being conscious of it. https://www.csp.org.uk/system/files/personal_training_for_your_pelvic_floor.pdf

"The reality is that you need to do these exercises, every day, for the rest of your life"

Please show me information (links!) that says otherwise as I am conscious that I don't do them enough and have started when I remember.

Donnadoobie - do ask about vaginal oestrogen treatements from your GP. Vagifem, or estriol cream or even one of the new treatments.

Hurdity x

Donnadoobie

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 09:52:39 AM »

It is because my pelvic floor is already strong and I exercise, running and dancing, so I am strengthening them all the time, without being aware if doing so.  Doing kegels will only increase the strength, which could lead to a hypertonic PF.  I need to relax them too, or the whole area becomes too tight.  I have been reading about this and extra exercise is not the way for me.

http://pelvicpainrehab.com/female-pelvic-pain/507/why-kegels-are-bad-for-your-pelvic-floor/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 09:57:30 AM by Donnadoobie »