Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestran 100 dosage?  (Read 768 times)

AlisonL33

Utrogestran 100 dosage?
« on: August 23, 2019, 08:49:19 PM »

Hi
I have changed from just patches to patch and tablets as I was getting erratic bleeds etc. I have just finished my first month on the new regime. I have been prescribed Utrogestran 100 and EstradermMX 50 patches. The patches are prescribed for the whole month and changed twice a week. I have been told to take 1 Utrogestran tablet a day on an empty stomach for 25 out of a 28 day cycle, with no tablet for 3 days. I have started my 2nd month today so I am back on the tablets. I have some signs that I am due to bleed I.e. swollen breasts, period pains but no bleeding. I have had a pelvic scan today as I have an ovarian cyst and the sonographer said that the lining of my womb was about 5mm and for menstruation it would normally be about 10mm. She did say it could be different due to the HRT. However,  I have read the leaflet from the tablets a bit more thoroughly this evening and the suggested dose is quite different to mine. They suggest that 2 tablets should be taken daily at night and for only 12 days in the last half of the cycle. I am now confused about what is correct. I would like to know how other people are using this combination. HRT and menopause are tricky enough without feeling like it has been prescribed badly. Many thanks.

friend of lhasa apso

Re: Utrogestran 100 dosage?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 09:38:30 PM »

Hi Alison ,
I'm no expert, but I changed from Evorel Sequi patches to Evorel 25 and utrogestan 100 for 14 days out of 28 at night,but not having any bleeding at all .I've started a post about this today as was a bit concerned myself .
  I changed to utrogestan after reading about it on here, as other progesterone was giving me severe pmt symptoms.
  That does sound like a long time to be on it though. Are you peri or post meno?
I'd go back to docs and get them to reassess the prescription, as may be you don't need to take it for that length of time ?I also read instructions and initially took two at night for 14 days but doc said it was too much !I'm confused too !

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 09:45:48 PM »

I am peri and take 200mg for 12 days vaginally. I get a bleed a day or two after I finish it. Your regime is normally prescribed for post menopausal woman who don't have a bleed.

juliemargaret

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 06:03:20 PM »

Sheila - hi - do u recall of you had a bleed roght from.starting the utro sequi? I started 200mg last night bit today...in the last 2 hrs had little niggly period like tum pains and a bloody discharge - i think a bleed is coming! Hips also achy and like get when period coming.!! Xould this be my period or could it be the utro eve  after just one eve and 200mg? What do i do? Do i continue.for the 12 days or? X

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 07:01:53 PM »

Yes you continue with the full 12 days whether you are bleeding or not x

Ladybt28

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 11:29:38 PM »

AlisonL33,
There are 2 ways to use Utrogestan.  The first is continuously as you have been prescribed and is usually prescribed that way for Post meno women.  The idea is to balance the hormones oestrogen and progesterone so that you do not bleed.  The theory is why would you want to have a "false period" now your own has stopped but it is not always as simple as that.  Some women cannot get on with continuous progesterone for all those days.

The second way is as described on Besins Utrogestan leaflet 200mg for 12 days which is called a "cycle" and which is usually for peri women...but....
depending on your consultant/gp or your own circumstances - there are a couple of variations on the theme, if you get my meaning.  for example I am post meno at 57 but cannot tolerate progesterone continuously so I choose to have a "false bleed" and use it on a cycle.

You are early days just starting the second month for things to be settling.  The question is are you post meno or still in peri?

Lhasa apso, you may have got out of sync due to the change of hrt regime.  The number of days is 12 on the sheet. You go to day 14 and then introduce on day 15 the utrogestan for 12 nights together with you patches.

Some doctors say 100mg is ok for a continuous regime because it is exactly that continuous.  It also depends if you are taking your utrogestan orally (which is how it is usually prescribed) or whether you use it vaginally?  If you use it vaginally they say you need less because more is absorbed as it is not being "diluted" by the liver and stomach as it is when taken orally.

Tell us a bit more both of you?

Butterfly22

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 07:38:15 AM »

Sorry to jump on but I was asking this the other day, I'm post but would prefer a bleed as feel like it's building up, I had a tiny speckle last week but I take 100 every night orally. So your way ladybt28 sounds perfect for me. So can you say what you do exactly.? Take ect. . Thank you xx