Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Age  (Read 2430 times)

Luna k

Hope this is not a daft question but..
I am 56 now  am I classed as officially post meno  ?? Thanks in advance  :thankyou  :)

Katejo

Re: Age
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 05:05:11 AM »

Hope this is not a daft question but..
I am 56 now  am I classed as officially post meno  ?? Thanks in advance  :thankyou  :)
  I am also 56 and 4 years post meno but have started HRT this year due to VA.

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 05:54:33 AM »

No question is daft if you don't know the answer.

If you don't menstruate because of hysterectomy or hrt you won't know without a run of tests

I had a hysterectomy when I was 32
And after a series of blood tests it showed I was likely  post meno @ 48 x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 08:02:42 AM »

Nowt is taboo or silly here.  If one doesn't ask one doesn't get!

Menopause is literally, the last monthly bleed.  My periods waxed and waned for several years - I didn't stop carrying protection for 5 years.  Mine were very heavy on a 10 days off, 10 days without for years.  BIG clots.  Heavy.  Painful.   :'(.  Then they began to wax and wane so I would miss several then have a run of normal.

How do you feel over-all?  Maybe keep a mood/symptom/food diary for a few weeks to see if you have a pattern? 

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 08:08:37 AM »

I see from your previous posts that you have been on HRT for a few years so if you were not officially menopausal when you started, the rule of thumb (depending when you start HRT) is that you can consider yourself post-menopause  (for the purposes of HRT) at 54 and then if you want to, change to continuois combined ( no-bleed) HRT. The stats on this site say 80% of women have gone through meno by age 54. That is a large minority who haven't!. I was nearly 54 when I started HRT and hadn't gone 12 months since last period ( it was 5 months) so I started in sequi HRT and only when I got to 57 or 58 did doc suggest conti HRT to me. As it was it didn't suit me so here I am in mid 60's still on a cycle. I can't say at what age I actually reached menopause though. Why are you asking?

Hurdity x

Luna k

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 09:38:54 AM »

Thanks for replying ladies, I was asking as I had read somewhere that it was officially 54 .. I have no clue about my own cycle as  I have been on hrt for a few years. Never had a blood test, gp thinks theres no point..
My periods are making me feel rotten at the mo' so was thinking of trying continiuos utrogestan , just have no clue when to start as my period has missed this month ( as it does sometimes) still feel awful...I have read a lot of info and ofcourse this forum is amazing.. just trying to figure out what to do.. Appreciate the replies.Thanks again
Luna

Butterfly22

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 10:53:21 AM »

I was menopausal at 25 post by 27, xx

Butterfly22

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 01:20:54 PM »

I admit I was very young but my periods were disappearing (I had endometriosis before) after I had my daughter and the hot flushes were horrendous and my mum was going through the meno and said why don't you ask the doctor to rule it out. When I asked the doctor she laughed at me like I was stupid and my FSH levels came back at 95 by this time I was 27 and had gone through it. I've not had much support in the last 20 years either. Xx

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 04:45:39 PM »

there are so many misconceptions about menopause aren't there! I see women talking on Facebook groups every day about menopause myths and misconceptions. And doctors don't help when they say things like, 'you're too young'.
i was talking to a woman just yesterday whose own doctor told her that HRT would make her periods start again so it meant she could get pregnant.  :(
What!  ;D

shrosphirelass

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 05:53:50 PM »

The best support is on this forum.

I was still having fairly regular periods last year age 56, when I started HRT so I guess I may now be approaching menopause at 57, but who knows.

Butterfly22

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 07:12:27 PM »

The best support is on this forum.

I was still having fairly regular periods last year age 56, when I started HRT so I guess I may now be approaching menopause at 57, but who knows.

Definitely, I've had more help on here in the last ten years then any doctors xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 07:14:49 PM »

Menopause is literally the last period.  So one is considered through The Change when 1 hasn't had a period for 12 months.  However  >:(

Luna k

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 11:37:28 AM »

Butterfly22..
Me too, this forum has helped me so much. Really wish gp's were more informed...I  have struggled on my own for many years,I know more about menopause than my gp. It would be funny if not so bloody tragic for us ladies x

Butterfly22

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 08:00:53 PM »

Butterfly22..
Me too, this forum has helped me so much. Really wish gp's were more informed...I  have struggled on my own for many years,I know more about menopause than my gp. It would be funny if not so bloody tragic for us ladies x

I think I'm more clued up then my doctor to. We have to keep laughing or we will end up crazy xx

Padine

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 09:07:51 PM »

I had poor and unhelpful advice from a practice which had a string of rather self-important GPs, then moved 250 miles to be more central and the difference was like black and white. A fabulous lady GP helped me conquer my meno confusion, and recommended the Menopause Matters site and magazine! I suppose it's all a lottery and maybe these GPS lacking in knowledge and/or understanding should be advised to look on here girls!!
        Padine x
Pages: [1] 2