Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Stopping HRT  (Read 762 times)

AH10

Stopping HRT
« on: August 24, 2019, 11:47:01 AM »

Hi,

I've been using Evorel Conti for 9 months and have had a bleed on average every 2 weeks (natural period stopped c9 years ago). Have had various tests and all ok. Woke up on Thursday with a new bleed, last one only stopped 3 days before that.  It's not just the bleeding, it's cramps, headaches, mood, etc that go with it so I've had enough and have decided to stop HRT!! My question is, am I best to just stop or should I try to gradually reduce?

Thanks in advance x

Jari

Re: Stopping HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 12:00:15 PM »

Hi AH10. I don't take hrt, but I've seen some ladies somehow cut the patch in half when they are reducing and coming off it.

I did try hrt once, only for 2 months and came off it over night, but I was on a low dose.

If your dose is low and you've only been on it a few months, then you may be able to come off it fairly quickly.

It might be worth asking your pharmacist what they would recommend? X

AH10

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 12:18:20 PM »

Thanks Jari, hadn't thought about speaking with pharmacist, I'll do that x

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 09:14:45 PM »

Hello AH10 and welcome to the forum.

I have used this HRT in the past and have cut the patches up to reduce the dosage. My GP told me that was an acceptable way to do it. How quickly you reduce is another matter and I'm sure that some current users will be along soon to advise you.  Hope this helps.

Take care and let us know how you get on.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 08:55:00 AM »

Hi AH10

Sorry to hear about your problems with Evorel conti. The aim is to feel better overall on HRT than off it - so it depends what symptoms you had before that led you to start HRT? However many women have to try several alternatives before they find one that suits. Also often women in your position who continue to bleed on a continuous combined HRT can find it better to take a cyclical HRT (ie two weeks of oestrogen only - the Evorel 50, followed by two weeks of oesdtrogen + progestogen ie Evorel conti) which gives a predictable bleed every month just like with normal periods. I can see this might be unpalatable having been post-menopausal for so long though, but better than bleeding as frequently as you have done. I am still on cyclical HRT in my mid 60's!

Therefore before stopping HRT completely you could try Evorel sequi ( if it is available!) and see how you feel. Alternatively there are regimes where you have oestrogen only patches, with separate progestogen which could be utrogestan, Provera or Mirena coil. Have a look at the Treatments menu for all the options.

How old are you?

If you eventually really do decide to stop then as Kathleen says - wean off gradually, but don;t be too hasty about it :)

Hurdity x

AH10

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 09:16:13 AM »

Hi Kathleen and Hurdity thanks for your responses and advice.  I'm 58 and this is the 3rd type of HRT I've used and have had irregular bleeding with all of them. I started Evorel Conti in December last year as I was having anxiety attacks and severe sweating. The patches really helped to begin with, however I'm now getting the odd sweat (nowhere near as bad) but anxiety getting worse.  I'm at the stage where I don't know what's worse, menopause symptoms off HRT or bleeding symptoms on HRT.  I'm due to get further blood tests next week (being monitored because bleeding so much) and have a hysteroscopy mid September.  Perhaps I should wait until all tests are complete. Thanks again for taking time to respond, appreciate it x