Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Oestrodose & Estrogel  (Read 921 times)

jefner

Oestrodose & Estrogel
« on: August 21, 2019, 09:48:50 AM »

Has anyone found a distinct difference between Oestrodose & Estrogel?  I know they are made by the same company but I read a few posts on here with ladies noticing a difference in strength. 

I originally started on the Oestrodose but for the last 3 scripts I have been given Estrogel and I am wondering if the Estrogel is the reason I have gone downhill so dramatically with more debilitating anxiety than usual and my depression came back. 

Anyone found Estrogel too strong for them?

Ladybt28

Re: Oestrodose & Estrogel
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 11:33:33 AM »

There is a massively long running thread with plenty of research listed in consultation with Besins about this called Oestrogel Oestrodose - They are Exactly the Same.  There was also a survey conducted about how women got on with the two - check the search bar for the posts.

There has been plenty of discussion but no definitive answer...some women find a difference and the majority don't - I think it is personal body chemistry - Besins swear there is no difference and that it is all to do with 3rd party licensing - Check it out x

AndieM

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 03:52:31 PM »

Hi...
I find I don't tolerate Oestrodose, gives me bad headaches and nausea like morning sickness, I had to go back to my doctor and she changed my prescription to Estrogel, although they say they are the same my pharmacist said you can get different reactions with different brands. As soon as I changed back, my symptoms disappeared.

jefner

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 04:48:42 PM »

Hi Andie, I wondered if that was the problem with me because I seemed to start quite well on the Oestrodose but looking back started to go downhill even more say a couple of weeks after starting the Estrogel

AndieM

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 06:04:58 PM »

Hi jefner, could be, might be worth asking for a new prescription for Oestrodose and see if it makes a difference.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 07:23:33 AM »

Hi jefner - as Ladybt said.... here is the long-running thread:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,40586.msg692139.html#msg692139
It goes off track from time to time with some irrelevant meanders and almost into the realms of conspiracy but the main message is the same ie as I reported from Besins and subsequently from personal conversations (e-mail exchange) with Dr Louise Newson (who also contacted Besins).

AndieM - the pharmacist you spoke to is correct in that different brands can give you different reactions - but the whole point of this is that they are not different brands nor different formulations - it is a frustrating difference in packaging and name for the same product in different European countries. There is an understandable expectation of difference because of this. Oestrodose is not available as such in UK as a different medicine. If it were different it would have a separate entry under the UK medicines list.

Louise Newson's recommendation is that if women perceive they are different - then ask for the one they prefer.

All of this is covered in detail on that thread ( but ignore the irrelevant parts!).

If you are peri-menopausal then  your own hormone levels will vary and even when post-menopausal there can be a reucrrence of symptoms - which could be due to your own hormone levels, the weather (affecting consistency of the gel, temperature of your skin and absorption) or something else.

Some women find that gel specifically is too "strong" due to rapid absorption and high esstradiol peaks soon after giving certain symptoms (I'm not familiar with these!). If this is the case for you and it doesn't resolve, maybe try patches as the dose is more even?

I hope you feel better soon :)

Hurdity x

AndieM

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 05:36:38 AM »

Hi Hurdity, just looked at the thread about Oestrodose and Estrogel, that's really interesting, didn't realise they were they same product, only could manage 5 days when using Oestrodose as nausea and headaches became too much, I might try it again in a month or two to see if it gives me the same reaction. The one thing I would have to say is they did feel feel different when dispensing them, Oestrodose felt more like a liquid, strange.

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 05:52:08 AM »

I was fine on oestrogel and when using oestradose I developed an itchy back ( I suffer many allergies, some life threatening) so went back on oestrogel

A few times this year I have been given oestrodose and decided to give it another go with no problems so my body has obviously decided to tolerate it now

X