Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: FSH of 80 and still having periods  (Read 1168 times)

Anxious Lady

FSH of 80 and still having periods
« on: August 29, 2019, 05:22:51 PM »

Hello everyone

I recently underwent a full blood test as I had been feeling tired, depressed, back ache, etc.  I am 52 and am still having periods, although these are not regular and can range form spotting to flooding.  My bloods were all fine, apart from FSH which was 80. Is this normal?  The GP thought I was menopausal and was quite shocked when I said I still had periods.  She removed my paraguard IUD which had been in situ for 12 years and said to see how things settled down. I had a pelvic scan back in Feb (to locate my IUD, strings vanished) and all was fine, but the GP said she may want to redo the scan to check womb lining.  Has anyone else experienced something similar?  I am not taking HRT.  The symptoms for which I originally went to the GP (tiredness, backache, etc) have improved hugely and I feel really quite normal.  I have no hot flushes either. 

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thank you!

Dancinggirl

Re: FSH of 80 and still having periods
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 10:03:11 AM »

HI Anxious Lady
You may still be in peri menopause so your FHS of 80 indicates menopause but you could still be having the occasion ovulation and therefore still having periods.  The peri stage is very much about fluctuating hormones so erratic bleeding is common because of this.  Your GP is being very sensible to check everything is ok - so don't worry, the scans are just precautionary.  Keep us posted.  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »

I had an FSH of well over a 100 and had fairly regular periods for a further two years before beginning HRT. Blood tests are a very unreliable way of working out where in peri meno/meno we are as they fluctuate so much. I agree with Dancing girl that your doc is being sensible but to my mind it is fine to still be having periods with an FSH of 80. Hot flushes often don't occur until periods become more spaced out but some (lucky) women never get them. Let us know how you get on.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Anxious Lady

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 09:36:13 PM »

Thank you ladies so much.  I feel less panicky about what might be going on.  I will certainly report back!