Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Peri cycle length on HRT  (Read 1077 times)

PeriPagan

Peri cycle length on HRT
« on: August 22, 2019, 05:22:24 AM »

Hi all,

Haven't been on here for a while as things have been OK but somethings been bothering me...

This is probably a stupid question but have those of you who are peri (mid/late/still have your own cyclical levels of oestrogen) noticed that your cycle length varies even though you're on HRT? Especially once your body is/has adjusted to the new dose.

I personally try to take the view that HRT takes the edge off symptoms but some reassurance that I'm not a freak of nature would be good. 

Countrygirl

Re: Peri cycle length on HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 05:26:52 AM »

Peripagan yes mine is all over the place too, so you're not a freak of nature unless I am as well, there's no rhyme or reason to it x

PeriPagan

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 05:53:08 AM »

Hi Counrtrygirl,

Phew! not just me then!

Guess its just a case of spin the wheel...whats coming this cycle  ;)

Shannonplussed

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 12:06:44 AM »

THIS!
Being that I have some endogenous ovarian activity (though zero signs of ovulation), how am I best to time the HRT to get it to sync with my half-assed natural cycle?

bev21

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 12:38:42 AM »

Hi Peripagan,

I'm so glad you posted this, I'm 4 1/2 months into HRT (oestrogel / utrogestan) peri-menopausal and only had 2 proper periods while on it.  I'm panicking a bit as I thought the 12 days of progesterone (utrogestan) we're meant to bring on a period so worried about oestrogen dominance / cancer risk.  Suffering the worst pre-period cramps and legs pains I've ever had the last 4 days, had some benefits on it but it doesn't come without side effects either wonder whether to persevere any longer???

Mogster71

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 08:58:06 AM »

I'm getting a bit worried about this too  :-\

I've had a period pain on and off for about 2 months. Last period was an HRT one in August. Left HRT alone for a few months, just on my first pack of Femiston 1/10 (ugh to the progesterone) and even after 4 days on the double tablets I feel like I could start my period any minute. Before I started the HRT again I asked my GP to refer me for a scan, and that's next week. I'll feel a lot better knowing I've not got a "build up" x

I don't think my body knows where the heck it's at!!

Orangefoot

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 02:36:56 PM »

I had a scan in September and my lining is getting thin. My cycle has gone from a low of 22 days pre HRT 12 months ago to 35ish days in the last six months. I haven't actually 'missed' a month yet but my bleeds are very light now and not dragging on for weeks any more which is a relief.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 04:49:52 PM »

Peripagan - HRT does not usualy suppress your cycle/ovulation so can carry on in the background. Although cyclical HRT is designed to give a withdrawal bleed towards the end of the combi tabs/patches or just after these have finished, if you ovulate then this cycle may sometimes override the hormones of the HRT (especially if low dose)  so you may notice the surge in oestrogen over and above your HRT or notice the drop in progesterone two weeks after ovulation, and you may also bleed at the "wrong" time - so possibly twice in a month or randomly. Eventually as your ovulation becomes less frequent your main cycle will be the artificial one due to the HRT. Yes the constant oestrogen takes the edge off the oestrogen crash at the endof the cycle so tides you over the mood swings to some extent.

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 04:52:58 PM »

Hi Peripagan,

I'm so glad you posted this, I'm 4 1/2 months into HRT (oestrogel / utrogestan) peri-menopausal and only had 2 proper periods while on it.  I'm panicking a bit as I thought the 12 days of progesterone (utrogestan) we're meant to bring on a period so worried about oestrogen dominance / cancer risk.  Suffering the worst pre-period cramps and legs pains I've ever had the last 4 days, had some benefits on it but it doesn't come without side effects either wonder whether to persevere any longer???

Hi bev21

:welcomemm:

Can you tell us a bit more about yourself - maybe introduce yourself on a separate thread so we can focus on you? How old you are, what your periods and cycle were doing before you started HRT and also the dose of oestrogen/progesterone you are taking and whether oral,  vaginal progesterone, how many pumps gel etc? Bleeding too much at an unexpected time is always more of a worry or rather needing to be checked out, rather than not bleeding  - provided you are taking a licensed regime of HRT

Hurdity x