Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: What I think I know  (Read 1582 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
What I think I know
« on: August 23, 2019, 07:05:06 PM »

... leading on from 'ignorance'

I didn't walk until the age of 2.

From the age lf 3.5 Dad took me for walks.  I had to walk behind him and when he stopped, I had to stop, remaining quiet and still.  I was taught listen and look.  I adored my Daddy then, so listened and looked.  He would then show me what he had seen: often a red squirrel, a fox or a roe deer.  He was raised in a shooting, fishing, hunger-gather environment and went wild-fowling on the foreshore so was very alert to Nature. 

So I absorbed what he taught me.  He was an avid gardener and educator.  My maternal aunt grew dahlia - huge, brightly coloured flowers. She would walk with me the 2 miles to the river to watch for the kingfisher.  She cycled across the bridge regularly and saw the bird daily.  My maternal Granny took me for walks, we would go together and pick from the banks the first primroses for my Mum.  We learned the names of wild flowers from an early age.  She would tell me that the wood pigeons were saying 'there there Betty, there there'.  We waited at 4.00 p.m. to watch the cows being taken from the field to the milking parlour oh the smell  :-X  :D.  But she spent time with me.  She had a toad under the stone near the house and a lizard in the damp grass.  I learnt to sit and watch for both ........ as an only child for many years I could sit for hours.

I spent time with this Granny shelling peas and podding broad beans for our meals, sitting on that stone.  Chatting. Or she would be knitting - something I never got to grips with  ;D

Dad allowed me a little part of garden but got cross if I don't 'do it right'; hindsight says it was Mum's attitude that caused his frustration at me  :-\ :'(.    He taught me how to prune roses correctly, a task I carry on at Mum's now that she is in care and the house remains unsold. 

Gardening has been hit and miss.  I buy what I like, put it in: we garden on clay so things take 2-3 years to bed in B4 their thrive.  I shove plants in where they apparently shouldn't grow but they do  ;).  We have ponds which has given me an insight into frogs, dragonflies etc..  Many things we learn by osmosis.

CLKD

Re: What I think I know
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 07:14:05 PM »

I had ballet lessons from age 8.  I remember wearing hand-me-down tights which bagged - I worried about being thought of as a boy  :'(  :-\.  I was slow to learn the steps but I managed shows as well as exams.  Same with piano, recorder and other musical lessons.  Nowt came easy but I was made to stick at it.  Sometimes I enjoyed the piano but singing was the best  :-*. I stopped dancing at 18.

I LOVED horse riding.  Wouldn't get on one now, too high up, too far down to fall  :D.   

When I'd seen a musical I could sing all the tunes .......... Dad and I used to whistle when we travelled together.  He introduced me to classical violin and piano concertos: he would take the top line and I would sing what ever fitted in.  He taught me to listen to the top line first, the next time to the 1st violins and so on.  To this day I want to play that drum roll in 'nimrod'  :D.

When we went on family outings, there would be 8 of us in one car: the men would sing and I would harmonise.  For miles++!  Happiest memories.   
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 07:31:06 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 10:10:20 AM »

:-\

Osmosis.  I didn't learn much in sums because I can't add up or take away and the teacher would give us mental arithmetic : if we didn't get it right we would have to stand on the desk so my mind went blank B4 the question came my way  :'(.  That attitude achieved nowt.

It's when I talk to kids that I realise how much I do know.  When do you all realise? 

As for politics: other countries seem to be more politically aware due to 'us' over-running many places in our history.  India for example.  A friend understands a lot more about UK Policital History than I am ever aware of.  >yawn<

I can cook , would have to read a recipe book
I grow plants
I can load the laundry machine etc.
I know how to access stuff on line
I know when to sit and listen so that I learn - unless I'm bored  ;)

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »

I can't do mental arithmetic. Give me pen n paper and I can work it out, but like you, we were made to look stupid if we couldn't give the correct answer out loud, so I'd go blank, and just sit there praying I wouldn't get asked...which in turn made me miss those lessons because of the fear, then ended up in the lowest classes....all very traumatic...
I enjoyed sports, history, some geography, and science. Especially Biology. Maths held me back...I know enough to get by, but OH can work anything out maths wise, so he does that side of things...

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 02:21:35 PM »

Were you in my School?

DH looks after our monetary affairs as well as Mum's.  I can't take away dates in my head, simply don't see the figures in front of me: i.e. if I'm trying to work out someone's age.  I have to write it down.

Because I was told 'to be seen and not heard' I would go into my little World to avoid boredom.  So I didn't listen particularly well, having been a pre-baby my absorption skills never developed and I had a lot done for me so didn't have to think for myself - even now I listen to Himself but don't always take in what he's telling me.  I must be so boring to life with at times.

Whereas he watches sport and can tell me exactly what's happening whereas it goes over my head.  Also he told me about something that we did in 1978 ...... I can remember the place but not the event.  Even when he relates it to me.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 09:38:42 PM »

;D ;D