Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Irritation "down below"  (Read 2407 times)

Witch hazel

Irritation "down below"
« on: August 10, 2019, 02:51:24 PM »

Hi Ladies,

Hoping for some advice please.  For the last week I have been experiencing soreness and irritation.  It seems to be around the outer labia, one side more than the other.  I assumed it was an ingrown hair/infected follicle as I do get them occasionally, but it seems to be over a much wider area now.  Initially thought maybe thrush, although I have never suffered from it before, but having looked online for symptoms, doesn't seem to fit.  I do have a little more discharge than normal, but its clear/slightly opaque, no smell or lumpy/cheese bits.  I am getting through panty liners by the box full as changing every time I have a wee.  I wondered if just because its been so warm, especially at night which co-incided with another round of hot flushes for me and whether it was just because I was more sweaty down there, but it seems to have gone on too long for that and I have used intimate wipes and wash to help with freshness.  The only thing that seems to give me relief is talc, as it dries up the moisture and leaves it a little "slippery" so it doesn't rub. 

I don't think it is an infection as no odour.  Would it do any harm to try some canestan to see if that helps, even if its not full blown thrush?  Any advice appreciated.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Irritation "down below"
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 02:54:02 PM »

Get rid of the panty liners!  If 1 needs them daily one needs to get any discharge checked.

Vaginal atrophy is caused by dryness.  My out/inner labia get dry and itchy so I use 'ky jelly' or vaseline, gently applied to keep the area moist.  That stops the itchy feelings. 

Don't use talc either.  Do read the threads on vaginal atrophy and ask your GP for appropriate treatment.  If that works, then hey ho! you're there ;-)

Sparrow

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 02:58:48 PM »

I won't use intimate wipes in that area it disrupts the bodies naturally occurring cleansing process.

Sounds like an infection, possibly bacterial vaginosis or thrush.

See your doctor.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 03:02:36 PM »

Thrush lives in the back passage and thrives on sugars.  Thrush itches, 4 me it was really high up.  Appropriate pessaries sorted it.  It started when I stopped The Pill and I had it years later after emergency surgery.

Sparrow

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 03:03:52 PM »

Get rid of the panty liners!  If 1 needs them daily one needs to get any discharge checked.

Vaginal atrophy is caused by dryness.  My out/inner labia get dry and itchy so I use 'ky jelly' or vaseline, gently applied to keep the area moist.  That stops the itchy feelings. 

Don't use talc either.  Do read the threads on vaginal atrophy and ask your GP for appropriate treatment.  If that works, then hey ho! you're there ;-)

CLKD,  the amount of natural discharge varies from women to women.  I certainly have needed to use panti liners all my adult life.  If what is normal for you changes then you need it checked. 

Not everyone get VA either so other causes have to be concidered.

Witch hazel

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 03:04:29 PM »

Thanks for replies.

I don't think it is dryness, as I am wet every time I wipe, even if I haven't had a wee.  I will search as you suggest though, just to find out more.  I have tried sudocrem as I thought it might soothe, but didn't make any difference.

I don't have an issue with dryness during sex (yet) either, as if anything I produce far more lubricant than I used to, so not sure if that is the problem at the moment. 

I have looked at BV symptoms and they mention an offensive smell, but there is none - the discharge looks like my normal lubrication, just more of it than usual.  I am only using the wash/wipes as I can't shower every time I go to the loo, but I will stop and see if that helps.

I will get GP advice next week, but can't really pop my bits out at the pharmacy and ask their advice over the weekend ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 03:14:18 PM by Witch hazel »

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 03:54:20 PM »

I will get GP advice next week, but can't really pop my bits out at the pharmacy and ask their advice over the weekend ;)

This made me  ;D

I agree don't use talc or wipes and I understand about panti-liners as I use one daily and sometimes have to change during the day. However if you have irritation then wash with a bit of water (on the toilet tissue) when at home, after the wee, and dab dry and then use some vag moisturiser (not sure which as I don't use it). However if you don't have vag dryness then maybe when at home wear flappy skirts and go commando. Also what do you sleep in at night? Go commando then too ie wear nothing or just a top - but nothing around your bits - so that they get a good airing!

Where are you in menopause and are you on HRT at all?

Hurdity x

Witch hazel

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 04:20:38 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for this.  Not sure where I am in meno ... I'm 53, periods been erratic for the last 2 years or so, sometimes I go for several months without, then I either get a real humdinger or a few scanty days when it can decide whether to bother or not.  I get spells of hot flushes, memory went haywire but I have found VitB Complex has helped restore this somewhat.

Not had any GP involvement or advice at to what stage I am at, and no HRT.  I can recall my mum having sweats and mood swings, but I was too young to take much notice and she is no longer with us so cannot compare notes or timings :(

Don't think I am suffering nearly as badly as many others here, but maybe not got there yet ...

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 04:32:31 PM »

My periods waxed and waned for 3+ years.  Can't remember what age I was .........   It's not called The Change for nowt, does what it says on the tin  >:(  ::)

Witch hazel

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 07:08:22 AM »

Hi ladies,

Just thought I would update on this.  Yesterday morning, after another restless night due to the irritation getting worse, I couldn't stand it any longer so went out and bought some Canestan.  Applied the external cream and first thought was "What have I done" as the itching was so much worse and I almost wanted to wash it off again.  After half an hour it was feeling better and by bedtime last night, it was so much better - less red, less swollen and far less sore.  I applied again and this morning its almost looking and feeling normal again.  I haven't yet used the internal cream as wanted to make sure it was actually working before I tried this, but will insert before bed tonight just to treat anything that may be lurking in there.

Total mystery why I have suddenly got this as never suffered with Thrush in my life, but will monitor it and if it becomes recurrent I will definitely get to the GP for advice, but for now I am just so relieved.  Thanks for the advice and replies.

Sparrow

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 07:39:41 AM »

Result.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 08:16:56 AM »

The pessary aggravated so much  :o that I had to sit in a cool bath for a couple of hours  ::).  I would talk to the Practice Nurse B4 symptoms recur as there are other issues 'down below' that can persist.  There are several threads here about vaginal atrophy and bladder issues, do read.

Donnadoobie

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 08:49:20 PM »

When I went to the doctor for feeling sore, thinking I may have thrush, she examined me and told me that I had eczema around my vagina, didn't even know you could get it there!   She prescribed Canesten HC.  It did help.  I also use a cream made with beeswax, as I have had eczema of my outer labia since I was in my 20's.  It is quite expensive but seems to work.  It is called Exeskin made by Ultra Bee. Same kind of consistency as Vaseline but not so greasy, soaks into the skin nicely.