Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New VA oral tablet  (Read 1260 times)

Bobidy

New VA oral tablet
« on: September 17, 2019, 05:54:49 PM »

Hi

I've just listened to Dr Newson's new podcast and she mentions a new oral tablet for VA. She didn't go into much detail but I thought this was an interesting development. Particularly for elderly ladies x

Tracey E

Re: New VA oral tablet
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 06:38:38 PM »

Any idea what it's called?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 06:46:28 PM »

This has been mentioned before - I think it's one of the SERM's - I'll look it up...

Hurdity x

Edit - it's Ospemifene - there is a thread on it here which I will bump:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45089.msg725425.html#msg725425
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 06:48:34 PM by Hurdity »

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 06:49:41 PM »

I believe it is Osphena.  It is relatively new but has not had great reviews.  I believe there is already a thread on this.  In the U.K. I think it's called Osphema or some such.

Tracey E

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 06:52:18 PM »

This has been mentioned before - I think it's one of the SERM's - I'll look it up...

Hurdity x

Edit - it's Ospemifene - there is a thread on it here which I will bump:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45089.msg725425.html#msg725425

Thanks Hurdity, has anyone tried this preparation?

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 06:55:09 PM »

Hi Tracy E....There are some reviews on google.  Unfortunately most of them negative.  My dr. is not impressed with this product. 

Tracey E

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 07:34:04 PM »

This is interesting:

CONCLUSIONS: Ospemifene 60 mg/d may have a protective effect on the bone health of women being treated for dyspareunia. The initial clinical data for ospemifene follows a trend similar to raloxifene and bazedoxifene, suggesting that ospemifene may have bone-protective effects in postmenopausal women.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 10:08:40 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, has anyone tried this preparation?

I don't recall anyone on here mentioning that they've tried it. It's listed on the menu though now here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

I'd forgotten the name - "SENSHIO" - don't know where that name came from!

Yes it is interesting Tracey E and would want to understand more about this (re bone etc and long term effects).

Hurdity x

jaycee

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 09:02:13 AM »

I can't see what difference it would make,if systemic HRT doesn't help VA, ,when it has been said you need local for it

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 09:14:36 AM »

Here is some info about it:

It is in a class of compounds called selective oestrogen receptor modulators (SERMs). These compounds bind to some oestrogen receptors and not others - sometimes acting like oestrogen and sometimes blocking its effects. It binds to oestrogen receptors in the vagina and acts like oestrogen in vaginal tissues "increasing the cellular maturation and mucification of the vaginal epithelium" (NICE).

"Ospemifene's biological actions are mediated through the binding of ospemifene and its major metabolite to oestrogenreceptors. The relative contribution of the metabolite to the pharmacological effect is estimated to be approximately 40%. This binding results in activation of some oestrogenic pathways (agonism) and blockade of other oestrogenic pathways (antagonism). The biological activity profile in humans is predominantly due to the parent compound.Nonclinical findings show that ospemifene and its major metabolite have an oestrogenlike effect in the vagina increasing the cellular maturation and mucification of the vaginal epithelium. In the mammary gland, they have a predominantly oestrogen antagonist effect.In bone,ospemifene has agonist-likeactivity. In the uterus ospemifeneand its major metabolite haveweak partial agonist/antagonisteffects.These non-clinical findings are consistent with findings from clinical trials, in which ospemifene demonstrated benefits on vaginal physiology without apparent oestrogen-likeeffects on breast tissue"

(Taken from the product info - you can read further info about trials etc here: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/9417/smpc )

So basically acts like systemic HRT on vaginal tissues and some part of the body  due to its selective action on oestrgoen receptors - hence it is an SERM. So maybe some women prefer to take an oral preparation - and possibly if it has some potential bone protective effects could be helpful for some women? At least it does increase choice even if limited in its applicability.

Hurdity x