Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Painful ankles, now swelling  (Read 4763 times)

Tc

Re: Painful ankles, now swelling
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 07:53:26 AM »

Hi dorothy. Your gp should be able to tell you where you were referred to. You can then phone the hospital clinic and find out when your appointment is.

I did exactly this with a recent referral.and fwas told the date and time of  appointment even though I havent had a letter yet. So it's worth checking yourself.

Xx

Dorothy

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 09:42:48 AM »

Tc, I'm on the waiting list and have had a letter from rheumatology, saying that they will contact me when I get to the top of the waiting list to arrange an appointment.  They don't give appointments any more because so often people couldn't make them.  Instead, you are told when you can call them to book an appointment.  They can't tell me how long I will have to wait since the waiting list constantly changes (e.g. if people who are worse than I am are referred, I 'move down', likewise if people below me on the list worsen in condition, they will be moved above me)

6-8 weeks for a gp appointment is pretty standard around here.  Waiting lists to see a consultant can be around a year, judging by how long friends have had to wait.  They can't say which hospital I will be treated at as you get sent to the first one in the area that has a 'gap' - unless you specify a particular hospital, in which case, you may have to wait longer to be seen. 

Tc

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 10:22:43 AM »

I see dorothy.

In my area we seem to be given "choose and book". Where you can chose the shortest waiting time.
I do know from my mums recent experience that this year a new system has been brought in within my borough where all "muscular skeletal referrals (including arthritis)s are "triaged" first.

a year is a long ttime to wait from referral for first consultation. Especially when you are in so much pain.. Take a look at this:

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/about-the-nhs/your-choices-in-the-nhs/

Best wishes dorothy. Sorry you are having to cope with such pain. Xxxx

Dorothy

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 04:30:59 PM »

I'm on the 'shortest waiting time' list by default.  The letter says "We will aim to offer you the earliest possible appointment at any of our premises within Aneurin Bevan University Health Board.  Alternatively, you may be offered an appointment with a non NHS provider or at an English hospital site.  By doing this we aim to keep your waiting time to a minimum.  If you request to be seen at a specific location, your waiting time may be longer."

Tc

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 05:05:51 PM »

Dorothy. It all becomes clear. You are in Wales!!!.   :)

You dont have the "choose and book" option  I was talking about in Wales. But what your letter says sounds similar. If they cannot offer you an appointment within a reasonable time within the NHS hospitals in your trust you may be offered private. That's the same principle.
That's good.

Hopefully you will hear pretty soon xx

Dorothy

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 06:00:14 PM »

Any idea what 'reasonable time' is?  It would REALLY help to know approx how long I have to wait but no one 'official' can tell me!

Tc

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 06:48:02 PM »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 08:50:00 PM »

You shouldn't have to wait that long for blood tests to be returned.  A GP should know when they are likely to show up, after all they are usually faxed or sent via e-mail.  7 weeks is far too long for simple blood tests.  Maybe get an appt. with the Practice Nurse?

As for co-coda-hwatever - it makes me so ill I can't take it anyway. 

Dorothy

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 10:23:34 PM »

Standard waiting times here for anything.  Practice nurse almost as difficult to see as a doctor.  The other local surgery has an equally long waiting list.  The council's response is to build several hundred new houses so you can imagine what that's going to do to the waiting lists once people start moving in!

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2019, 09:19:25 AM »

So there's a lack of Staff in the various Hospital Labs. then?  I read so a few months ago, particularly in pathology.  Not Good Enough!

Dorothy

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2019, 05:24:36 PM »

I know someone who had their op for a brain tumour delayed because there simply weren't enough staff.  He's been told that if the op had happened when it was first planned, he wouldn't have needed any further treatment, but due to the delay it's spread and he now needs chemo and has a much lower chance of beating it.

At least whatever is bothering me is unlikely to be life threatening, and if it is, at least I don't have any dependents.  This man has a wife and two kids under 10.  Puts things in perspective when I'm tempted to get too down about my own situation.   :'(

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2019, 07:15:03 PM »

Why didn't either the surgeon or himself ask for referral to another hospital? 

Dorothy

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2019, 10:26:45 PM »

No idea.  Possibly no hospital within reasonable distance?  I know someone currently receiving treatment for cancer who has a 5 hour round trip for every appointment because the waiting list is so long nearer to home.  Apparently he's lucky not to have to travel 'far'!

Sparrow

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2019, 09:43:27 AM »

The problem is the NHS relies on a lot of overseas staff and the EU has made up the largest proportion of that.  Unfortunately less are coming and more are returning home.

I'll say no more on that.  ::)

Katejo

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2019, 09:58:37 AM »

The problem is the NHS relies on a lot of overseas staff and the EU has made up the largest proportion of that.  Unfortunately less are coming and more are returning home.

I'll say no more on that.  ::)
  Maybe more British young people will be trained up but that takes several years to achieve and costs money  :)
Pages: 1 [2]