Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Post nasal drip issues  (Read 6816 times)

marge

Post nasal drip issues
« on: August 09, 2019, 11:13:45 AM »

I've had a sore throat/tongue/tingling mouth issue for a few weeks now.  No two days the same to be honest.  I went to the GP and was diagnosed with post nasal drip and given a steroid nasal spray.  She said it could take up to a month to be effective!  Desperately trying to keep my health anxiety at bay, but I am getting a bit concerned.  Anyone else had something similar?  I'm well past meno.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post nasal drip issues
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 11:15:46 AM »

Yep.  Since the late 1980s.  Well B4 I even thought of menopause.  'Beconaze' nasal spray but I had to use it alternate days as it dried my nostrils and made them sore.

I wake with m y tongue straching the roof of my mouth, I know then it's time for a Very Deep Clean particularly in the bedroom!

marge

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »

Thanks CLKD, nice to know I'm not alone.  Getting rid of an old carpet last year started PND big time, but it passed. Can't think what is causing it this time. I've never been an allergy sufferer before. Age related may be?

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 11:22:45 AM »

Could be lots of issues.

I had cats for years so was slightly sensitive to their fur as symptoms improved later.

DH does a Deep Clean in our bedroom when I start scratching the roof of my mouth.  Pollen count is high this year.  As rain hits the ground apparently it causes spores to spread further  ::)

Some find that a coating of 'vaseline' on the nostrils will stop spores etc. getting to the itchy bits but I can't stand anything on my nose. 

Get the hoovery-thingy out this week and do from the top floor to the bottom.  A wet cloth wipe across surfaces too will stop dust wafting around.  Apparently  ;D

My Dad got late-onset asthma at aged 65.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 11:23:17 AM »

My GP told me that allergies can increase as you get older, since my late thirties I get a wheezy chest at certain times of the year.
I have had post nasal drip for more years than I can remember, I am a CF carrier and it's more prevalent in us but also a common issue in others. You need to see if you can track down what is making it worse, what pillows do you use and do you wet dust?

marge

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 11:29:10 AM »

Thanks so much for your replies. GP suggested pollen was high this year. Well, my weekend is sorted, cleaning and hoovering top to bottom!

marge

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 11:59:59 AM »

Possibly Birdy, everything else dries up  ; :-\

jaycee

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 02:14:59 PM »

Dry skin in your ears too, when i went for mine syringing, the nurse said it was mainly dry skin in my ears

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 02:48:38 PM »

Oil seed rape as it flowers causes my chest to tighten  :-\

shrosphirelass

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 01:30:35 PM »

I think I have this too, causes me severe sinus type headaches and seems related to hormones and also pollen. Been partiicularly bad of late, though I thought the pollen count was suppossed to be lower now. I take antihistamines and beconase nasal spray, but doesn't seem to be very effective.

Tc

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 01:57:02 PM »

Marge and Shropshire lass. I have had this since young caused by my wonky septum and  sinus problems. It can wake you up as it makes you cough.

One thing I find very good is to "wash" the sinuses.daily.  I have a bottle which you mix warm water and  salt sachets from "neilmed " (dont use table salt).

When I get the sinus pain I find inhaling steam over a bowl helps.

This year since meno I didnt want to use an antihistamine as they can be drying to the body so I've used "sterimar hayfever and allergies". Not quite as effective as anti histamine tabs, but still pretty good  I've found

Hope that's od some help. .

marge

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 05:33:54 PM »

Thanks for the tips ladies; I'll definitely give them a go. Where would we all be without this forum??

shrosphirelass

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 07:53:53 PM »

Marge and Shropshire lass. I have had this since young caused by my wonky septum and  sinus problems. It can wake you up as it makes you cough.

One thing I find very good is to "wash" the sinuses.daily.  I have a bottle which you mix warm water and  salt sachets from "neilmed " (dont use table salt).

When I get the sinus pain I find inhaling steam over a bowl helps.

This year since meno I didnt want to use an antihistamine as they can be drying to the body so I've used "sterimar hayfever and allergies". Not quite as effective as anti histamine tabs, but still pretty good  I've found

Hope that's od some help. .

I also find steam inhalations very soothing they seem to work as well as anything. Interesting whay you say about the drying effect of antihistamines. When I satrted HRT I noticed a great improvement, with secretions generally and also my hair was much less dry, but it was short lived. However, I started taking one a days in April and Beconase so I wonder if that isn't helping. Hopefully, when my sinuses feel a bit better I can stop taking them, not that they seem to do anything anyway. I'll look out for sterimar allergy spray, I've used their saline nasal spray before but it didn't seem that effective for me. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try anything as I can't stamd much more of this.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 07:58:09 PM by shrosphirelass »

Tc

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 08:06:08 PM »

Yes shropshirelass. They can be drying. I never noticed before meno. I new they made my throat and mouth dry. But they can dry up mucus membranes everywhere  including vagina.  It's only temporary while you are taking them. But I personally didnt want to throw it in the mix whilst trying to sort VA out   the alternative is nose sprays which have a more localised effect.
Xx

shrosphirelass

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 10:55:55 AM »

Thanks TC, I'm going to try doing without. My symptoms re hayfever are mainly sinus type headaches ( which I get anyway but seem to be exaserbated by the pollen). I can cope with the itchy  / dry eyes. Do you think a antihistamine nasal spray would be better than a steroid one? The drs suggested steroid one when I had a really bad flare up a while ago.
Pages: [1] 2